Riot Erupts in Taunton DYS Unit... | MassCops

Riot Erupts in Taunton DYS Unit...

Discussion in 'Juvenile Corrections' started by New Hire, Apr 29, 2007.

1. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

2. Mitpo62

Mitpo62 Subscribing Member

I missed the OT opportunity on that call!:rolleyes:

3. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

judging by the line-up of cruisers, it looks like you might have been one of the few...

4. PBiddy35

PBiddy35 New Member

Thats not a regular DYS facility at Taunton state is it?

5. PVD24

PVD24 MassCops Member

Yes it is... Taunton State has Goss 1 and Goss 2 and then on the other end of the property has Howland Detention.. All secure facilities... Goss 1 and 2 are more kids on meds, and have treatment plans.... Howland is more of a holding area until they are committed or released...

6. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

It's safe to say that's the reaction of a lot of the people who live around there...

7. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

Oh well, there was obviously a failure to communicate.

8. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

DYS years ago was suppose to be taken over by the MSP for management of said program. I applied for an officer position at the Roslindale facility in 1997, while being interviewed by four people they asked me about the use of handcuffs on an unruly DYS juvenile. I told them if it rose to a danger to me or anyone else I would restrain and handcuff the juvenile in question.
    Well they all looked at me like I was the antichrist with a reply from several workers saying they did not believe in handcuffs or handcuffing anyone. I shook my head and walk right out of the interview and cross DYS off my list lol!!!! This story does not surprise me one bit!

9. Nachtwächter

Nachtwächter New Member

They're good kids. They are turning their lives around.

10. gooday

gooday New Member

Hey there locked up for commiting crimes and behaving badly. I think they should have c/o's from the state or the county working there so the counselers and the staff can get there job done. Especialy in the mental health hospitals. Bring some c/o's in and put the security staff thats already there through an academy and give them a uniform. The Campus police would then work for the state or county and probably get a pay raise in the prosses. Just my two cents. I've actualy had this conversation with someone who works there before. They agreed.

11. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

both link and blurb courtesy of WHDH news:

http://wn.whdh.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1400415&h1=Teenager%20causes%20riot%20at%20state%20hospital%20%2804/30/2007%29&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=24233&LaunchPageAdTag=News&fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO50659/&rnd=81980017

I had this kid....3 different times...

Teenager causes riot at state hospital

TAUNTON, Mass. -- A teenager from Mattapan is set to be arraigned today in connection with a riot at Taunton State Hospital.
    Kyle Timmons, 19, was arrested Saturday night when State Police responded to a disturbance at The Department of Youth Services building.
    More than 20 teenagers were involved in the riot.
    Timmons faces several charges, including assault and battery, and promotion of anarchy.
    He'll be arraigned in Taunton District Court later today.

12. unit999

unit999 Guest

Thanks to a schedule change, I was on Cape Cod that night instead of being there.

13. southwick34

southwick34 MassCops Member

DYS staff are a bunch of retired CIA Case Officers. I'm suprised they let this place get out of hand. Those guys are always looking for attention!

14. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

What are you talking about??

15. southwick34

southwick34 MassCops Member

OOps sorry, I thought DYS was Dipolmatic Security. Wrong thread.
    Don't get your panties in a bunch New Hire! -Southwick34

16. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

No problem....:D

17. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

DYS = Walpole's waiting room :-(