Right on red from an off-ramp | MassCops

Right on red from an off-ramp

Discussion in 'Ask A Cop' started by Latitude42, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Latitude42

Latitude42 New Member

Today I was pulled over and issued a written warning after exiting I-495 south at exit 12-11, Route 140 in Mansfield. I had turned right on red at the end of the ramp (near Xfinity Center) after stopping. I told the trooper, there is no sign there prohibiting right on red. He said, right on red is never permitted from an expressway off-ramp to a surface highway. I can't find anything like that in the Chapter 89 laws, nor in the driver's manual. Can anybody offer a qualified answer to this?

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

You mean right here with the No Turn on Red sign?

[​IMG]

CCCSD, j809, Tuna and 7 others like this.
  3. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

Check CMR 540 or 720.
    Ouch. That’s appears to be one of those new fangled traffic control devices.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    CCCSD and Goose like this.
  4. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Well then... there's that. :eek::D:D:D

CCCSD likes this.
  5. Latitude42

Latitude42 New Member

Well, yes, that is embarrassing, I stand corrected. I did not see the sign because I was looking for one up on the signal mast. However, I did say this in my post this afternoon: the trooper did not say to me, the sign was there, even if I failed to see it (I told him I had looked for one and didn't see one, which was the truth). The trooper said, an off ramp is not an intersection, and therefore right on red does not apply.

mpd61, Hush and Sooty like this.
  6. Latitude42

Latitude42 New Member

Here is picture I took at 6:15 today, 26.5 hours after I was pulled over and issued a warning (compare to yesterday's uploaded picture). IMG_0052.jpg

7. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Fight it you fool!!! If your history isn't bad, the Magistrate will probably give you a pass.;)

CCCSD and Sooty like this.
  8. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Was the trooper wearing his hat? If not you got the ticket beat. Fight it.

9. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

If you had gotten a ticket, you'd beat it on appeal. A warning is a gift.

10. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Oh damn, didn't see the written warning part.........Shaddup Fool!!!!! Written warnings are a win-win for both sides

CCCSD and Hush like this.
  11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Then they took the sign down for some reason. Obviously I pulled that image off Google maps which was captured September 2019. So that is interesting. So what we are debating (over a written warning) is whether turning from an interstate exit to a surface road right on red is illegal. Who knows?? If it is, it's here 720 CMR , not in 89/9. Either way, I'm more than happy to discuss this than all the other BS going on right now!

mpd61 and Hush like this.
  12. Latitude42

Latitude42 New Member

Thank you for your courteous reply, and yes, you've identified my central question, the reason I posted in the first place. I have looked into 720 CMR as suggested. There is mention of right on red, but the only exclusion is the obvious one: a sign prohibiting. I am aware that written warnings are inconsequential if they are far between (I've only had 2 before, the last being 14 or 15 years ago).

13. Redneck Hippie

Redneck Hippie MassCops Member

It's legal in West Newton I-90 west to Rt. 16 west.
    It was the subject of a Starts & Stops in the Boston Globe.