Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
G

·
Not always true...
It is for us....if we have a ridealong, they're there at our invitation or with our permission.

Every ridealong I've had has been either on the job themselves somewhere else, or someone I already knew and trusted.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I had a high school kid ask me (on a ride-a-long) if I kept the beer that was confiscated from high school kids....... try and ask intelligent questions, not probing questions as if you are working for the media.............oh, and try to complete a sentence without using the word "like", you sound a bit more mature...........

·
Subscribing Member
3,384 Posts
Whenever I have a ride along, I take them to the dirtiest alleys, the most gang infested, and the worst section of the area I can find. I want the ride along to have the "best" experience ever! I then have my ride alongs get out with me while we go to just about all the calls, unless maybe they might get in the way.

Our ride alongs have to sign a waiver prior to going out on the street so it's not really an issue about their safety. If they wanted to stay safe, they could ride along with "Joe the Plumber."

I recommend you dress in dark clothing, turn your phone off, listen to what your "partner" tells you, don't talk when the radio is talking, and don't interfere when your "partner" is taking police action. Oh, and have fun!

·
Registered
884 Posts
When I got hired first by a civil service department as a part-time officer it was very tough. The first ride along I did was with a 12 year patrolman. He was not happy to be hunting for dirt with some noob sitting in the passenger seat. I remember him cranking up the cruisers radio very loud on some 80's station and I wondered how the hell he would hear dispatch if a call came his way. He did not say one word to me the whole ride along. At the end he asked me what I saw? I just tried to say the name of the streets and landmarks to prove to him that I was observing the area. (That is what the Chief told me at the roll call, to get to know the area during the ride along) He said that you didn't hear nothing but the radio and you didn't see nothing because you weren't looking! I never knew what that meant and thought the guy was an asshole. I now know what he meant. Later on the guy who is a SGT. now taught me a lot in the long run. I now use some of his cold and calm style of teaching when I FTO a new boot. I know this is not the hardcore 90's so what I would suggest to you TS is to dress squared away, bring a coffee to the officer (with cream and sugar on the side), keep your mouth shut unless spoken to and to keep your ears and eyes open. I wish you the best of luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Whenever I have a ride along, I take them to the dirtiest alleys, the most gang infested, and the worst section of the area I can find. I want the ride along to have the "best" experience ever!...
Oh, and have fun!
La that's gotta be a thrilling ridealong out your way...or terrifying.

·
MassCops Member
306 Posts
I had a high school kid ask me (on a ride-a-long) if I kept the beer that was confiscated from high school kids....... try and ask intelligent questions.....
You mean that's not done anymore? I'm pretty sure that was SOP when I was a teenager, when my friends and I watched our beer disappear into the trunks of a cruiser or two. And in my early years (long, long ago) "on the job" in MA (early 1970's), I even heard rumors that such things were still going on, though, of course, I have no independent knowledge or recollection of such events having actually transpired. Oh, how times have changed.

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Whenever I have a ride along, I take them to the dirtiest alleys, the most gang infested, and the worst section of the area I can find.......
Hey, LA Copper, we didn't have a choice, did we? Those were the ONLY kinds of areas we had (mine were FPK and LNX, in South Central L.A.)!!

·
Subscribing Member
824 Posts
I haven't read every post so apologies if my suggestions have already been mentioned. Here are my suggestions for an informative and memorable ride along.

-Break wind often (we don't call it farting on the job...we're professionals). Nothing breaks up the monotany of a shared laugh over imminent methane death.

-Open the window and make a siren noise "RRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!" to any pedestrian you observe. This will convey that the PD is tolerant and easygoing. In the interest of accuracy don't forget to mix in a "Baaap, Baap" noise for the airhorn.

-Ask to hold the officer's sidearm during the ridealong. This will visibly demonstrate the trusting partnership between the police and the community they serve.

-Make as many donut related references or jokes as possible...it never gets old and is sure to evoke a hearty laugh with each and every mention.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I once had a kid show up in bloused BDU's and a t-shirt that said police...later to find out he also had cuffs in his pocket.
Just don't do that.

G

·
I once had a kid show up in bloused BDU's and a t-shirt that said police...later to find out he also had cuffs in his pocket.
He wouldn't have gotten in my cruiser dressed like that.

I tell my ridealongs ahead of time to dress comfortably, but I had a British cop show up dressed to the nines, looking like he was headed out for High Tea with the Queen. That was an interesting night.

·
Super Moderator
6,574 Posts
Its been 13 years since my last ride-along....looking forward to my next trip to LA!

G

·
Its been 13 years since my last ride-along....looking forward to my next trip to LA!
If you don't mind a road trip to the big Q, I can set one up for you. Just be forewarned that my having a ridealong almost guarantees a slow night.

·
Super Moderator
6,574 Posts
If you don't mind a road trip to the big Q, I can set one up for you. Just be forewarned that my having a ridealong almost guarantees a slow night.
PM sent!

·
Registered
12 Posts
He wouldn't have gotten in my cruiser dressed like that.

I tell my ridealongs ahead of time to dress comfortably, but I had a British cop show up dressed to the nines, looking like he was headed out for High Tea with the Queen. That was an interesting night.
He was quickly turned on his way.
He then came back a week later in normal clothes but with an ANSZI jacket. We had a bad Mva and my supervisor made him turn cars around....he thought he was god the kid was on cloud 9.
Hes in the hiring process as a special in a municipality out this way god help us.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had on a shirt that said "IM WITH STUPID" with a finger pointing left. It was going to be that one or the one with Ralph Wiggims that said "My daddy likes donuts". :tounge_smile:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts