Ret MSP Lt Col hired to head Worcester Cnty SO Special Services Division | MassCops

Ret MSP Lt Col hired to head Worcester Cnty SO Special Services Division

Discussion in 'Sheriffs' started by PBC FL Cop, Sep 4, 2011.

1. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sheriff makes change at top

By Lee Hammel TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    [email protected]

Assistant deputy jail superintendent Luke H. Gallant was replaced yesterday by a retired Massachusetts State Police lieutenant colonel.

Thomas L. McLaughlin becomes director of the Worcester County Jail’s special services department, which includes the sensitive areas of internal affairs, investigations, inmate grievances, gang intelligence and transportation. Mr. McLaughlin served in the state police from 1970 to 2001, including as lieutenant colonel beginning in 1995; he was a special investigator for the U.S. State Department, and was mayor of Woburn from 2006 through 2009.

Chief Deputy Sheriff David Tuttle said Sheriff Lewis G. Evangelidis made the change after “some concerns had popped up. We wanted to go in a different direction.”

Mr. Tuttle said, “We were looking for someone to do a top-to-bottom review of that department, and we felt that with the lieutenant colonel’s background, he was a perfect fit for us. We wanted to bring in a fresh set of eyes to help us improve the operations.”

The internal affairs division of the 2,800-member state police came under the lieutenant colonel’s supervision, he said.

Reed V. Hillman, who was the colonel of the state police from 1996 to 1999, served on Sheriff Evangelidis’ transition team. While Mr. Hillman spoke highly of Mr. McLaughlin, Mr. Tuttle said, it was not Mr. Hillman who originally brought up Mr. McLaughlin’s name for the job.

Because he is on a state retirement pension, Mr. McLaughlin is limited in how many weeks he can work in a year in another state job. The sheriff’s intention is to get a comprehensive review of the special services division and “the outcome of that review will help us determine what our next step will be”— including Mr. McLaughlin’s continued employment, Mr. Tuttle said.

Unlike the Jail and House of Correction in West Boylston, the deputy sheriff’s office pay would not count against state retirement benefits.

Mr. Gallant was appointed five years ago by Sheriff Guy W. Glodis. He had been a detective commander in the Woonsocket, R.I., Police Department and gave up an opportunity to become chief of investigations for the Massachusetts Department of Corrections to take the special services job in the Worcester County Jail, Mr. Gallant said.

Mr. Gallant, 48, said, “I wish I still had my (special services) job. I left the special services division much better than I found it, and I’m proud of that.”

He added that, “I’ve truly given my heart to that job. It’s been the best five years of my 26 years in law enforcement.”

When he was terminated yesterday, he said, he was told only that “the sheriff wants to go in a new direction. It came out of the blue,” and he has never “been told anything in my division was unsatisfactory.”

Mr. Gallant added, “Certainly I understand that’s his prerogative. Certainly he’s a very enthusiastic sheriff.

“He’s got great plans for the future. I really would have liked to have been part of the future.

“But I respect his decision and I wish him and the sheriff’s office nothing but the very best.”

Mr. Gallant paid tribute to the workers at the Jail and House of Correction, saying they “just really, really do an incredible thankless job, and they’re wonderful people. No one sees the great things they do.”

Imbert likes this.
  2. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

"I want to take the politics out of the Sheriff's office."

-Every sheriff candidate's speech

3. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Why is this thread under the Academy Information section??