Reserve/Intermittent Recruit Officer Course | Page 2 | MassCops

Reserve/Intermittent Recruit Officer Course

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by DD4486, Apr 24, 2018.

1. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Their checks bounced.

38bigblock, JR90, HuskyH-2 and 3 others like this.
  2. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Parking?

3. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Well...when you figure that SSPO is THE toughest training out there, you gotta figure that they will drop a few. Damn State Police standards.

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Say what? SSPO is a full time academy at New Braintree. The reserve academy is a part time municipal night and weekend thing. Not shitting on it, I went many moons ago, but anyone "washing out" is a strange phenomenon.

5. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

I went through R/I a couple years ago, but not all that long ago. I was in I believe the last class that was 242 hours. I'd say we lost maybe 5-6 over the course of the training. Maybe 3 dropped out in the first week, mostly people with full time jobs (some COs, some non-LE), who were in the academy looking to get a side job on a PD or to work details at the SO. They dropped out when they saw that there was some time commitment involved, that would interfere with their full time jobs, OT shifts, etc. After that, we lost a few to academic failures. There's no PT, and really no paramilitary discipline after the first week, so no one was lost for those reasons.
    I was there for SSPO licensure, as were a few other people. We tended to do well, because our jobs were riding on successfully graduating. I think most DORs are because people are just not really that interested in the job, so when they see that there is some time/work involved, they don't feel it's worth it.

6. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

DOR'S!!!!!!!

j809, Bloodhound and CCCSD like this.
  7. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

Why? What use is PT once a week?

CCCSD likes this.
  8. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

How the hell does one fail a test in the R/I Academy?? I went through back when it was still 242 hours and they pretty much gave us the answers to the test. We had 42 people in my class. 41 graduated, and the 1 who didn't dropped out because he got a full time gig with a PD in New Hampshire. There was absolutely nothing resembling paramilitary; the only time the class ever even got yelled at was because a bunch of the guys had a bad habit of not shutting the hell up when the captain announced that class was starting.

CCCSD and Joel98 like this.
  9. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Word is it's going up to 880 hours next year!!! That's what they were taking us at in service, since the place we go also hosts the R/I program for our area.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Joel98 likes this.
  10. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

So it’s basically going to be the same thing as the full time Academy now?

11. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Was surprised how many people washed out in R/I.
    Had one girl go through the whole thing and then quit at qualification because she didn't want to fire a gun !

AB7, triplethreat, PG1911 and 2 others like this.
  12. RROD

RROD MassCops Member

46 still in QCC Academy. They had their midterm exam last night. DT finally completed.

Joel98 likes this.
  13. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

“Washed out” could also mean they got a Full-Time offer, and decided “f*** this I’ll just do the FT academy in 6 months.”

PG1911, pahapoika and 02136colonel like this.
  15. RROD

RROD MassCops Member

Graduation is Friday May 10, 2019 at the QCC Hebert Auditorium. If anyone is interested. Held a career night with several agencies invited that were looking to hire. At least 5 or 6 soon to graduate have set up interviews, 3 others have jobs possible lined up. Not everyone will ever go to a full-time academy or land a job, but those who attended this academy were given the best experience possible that a reserve academy can give. Our job was to train. Hopefully we assisted in making contact with potential jobs. Although we did not completely hit our goal of "50 in, 50 through, and 50 employed" we are confident that our academy was worth the expense. It was our first academy so we will have our growing pains. I have been wearing a badge for 25 years and take pride that anyone that wears one, has earned it. I can only hope that our academy continues and that our graduates have the peace of mind and employment.

tytyga, Joel98 and mpd61 like this.
  16. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Go go go!!!!!

17. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

There was a guy in my class and I wondered why he even bothered to go to the R/I academy. He's a vet in a CS town and was already a dispatcher for his town's PD. He also got a nearly perfect score on the CS exam. He was hired as an R/I part of the way through the R/I academy (R/I isn't CS in his town), and didn't even get any time on the street before the PD hired him full time and sent him right back to the FT academy. Lucky guy.

38bigblock, mpd61 and CCCSD like this.