Reserve/Intermittent In-Service | MassCops

Reserve/Intermittent In-Service

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by haldog, May 9, 2014.

1. haldog

haldog MassCops Member

Can someone direct me to a institute or department that will host an In-service class for June? I have not been successful on getting a police job for two years that I've had it. I recently interviewed for a job and feel that I am in the running to obtain it and need In-Service to keep my certs. I graduated R/I June 30, 2012. Do I only have until June 30th, 2014 to get In-Service or do I have until December 2014?

Any advice will be sufficient.

2. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

Have you contacted the academy you went to, to see if they offer it? Try going on the MPTC website and search around for training. Good luck.

3. haldog

haldog MassCops Member

I went through sspi in foxboro. On their website it says their last inservice started on Monday. That's the last scheduled class.

4. grn3charlie

I'd keep looking at the other academies. Maybe Plymouth? I'm sure if you pay them, they will take you

5. car-ramrod

car-ramrod MassCops Member

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure you need to be hired/sponsored by a department to even attend in-service. Definitely contact the MPTC, they can give you all the answers.

6. grn3charlie

^^This^^ even better

7. haldog

haldog MassCops Member

Thanks for the replies.. I ended up makin a few emails and found out that if one doesn't have police powers within 2 years of academy end you lose it. Reserve officers do not need in service (unbelievably)... Just an FYI to others who wanted this information .

Joel98 and FAPD like this.
  8. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Wow. What an unfortunate waste of time and money... Sorry to hear man.

Joel98 likes this.
  9. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

Res/Int is now 330 hours and 1800 bucks. More of a committment and level of training than just five or so years ago. I can see where no in-service is required. Kinda makes sense because MPTC Veteran Inservice takes up so much of the resources and should be the priority. Part-timers should get adequate updates though through any means available though.

Joel98 likes this.
  10. devenob

devenob 2300

Last time I heard they scratched the in service recently, my department had us do the online MPI training inservice instead... budget cuts >_<

FAPD likes this.
  11. Public Safety

Public Safety MassCops Member

In regards to the 2 year rule, does anyone know if the reserve-intermittent academy cert stays active if you get on an SSPO department or do you have to get sworn in on a municipal department within 2 years of graduation? Thanks.

12. PiratesLife4Me

PiratesLife4Me MassCops Member

I believe as long as the department that hired you requires the R/I Academy, you are good. That could be wrong...