Reserve/Intermittent course question | MassCops

Reserve/Intermittent course question

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by Nightstalker, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker MassCops Member

I am interested in attending the Reserve/Intermittent course offered in Boylston. I am trying to get clarification on the requirements for the course. I have been told that in order to attend the course I must be sponsored by a Police Department. However, As I look at reserve job postings, almost all now require you to already be a graduate of the course. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. jyanis

jyanis MassCops Member

Hey there,
    You start by asking your area department(s) if they will sponsor you. More than likely, you will have to pay your way. Then sit back and soak in the 15 weeks of intense knowledge being thrown at you, and graduate. Then join the numerous others that have gone through the R/I academy and are still hoping to get on. If you are lucky, you will get on, providing you have everything else in line, ie you pass the background, etc. You should do a search (top of the webpage) on the subject as you will learn just about everything you need to know. It has been brought up a ton of times here. Good luck to you! Hope this helps.

3. 2-Delta

2-Delta New Member

jyanis is correct. if you get stuck, the "mcjtc" or whatever they are now, is once again also accepting sponsorship from Sheriffs, Harbor Masters and some capus PD chiefs too.

4. JoninNH

JoninNH New Member

Nope. Not from the Sheriffs (according to Boylston less then a month ago). Harbormasters attend the MPTC Harbormaster course, and Campus PD's can sponsor so that the CPO's with degrees can be certified as SSPOs.

5. 209

209 MassCops Member

Try this link for info. If it doesnt work do a search for MPTC and you will find it.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopssubtopic&L=7&L0=Home&L1=Funding+%26+Training+Opportunities&L2=Law+Enforcement&L3=Training+and+Courses&L4=Municipal+Police+Training+Committee&L5=MPTC+Training+Programs&L6=Reserve+-+Intermittent++Programs&sid=Eeops

If you can get the academy under your belt you should look at working on the Cape in the summer if you can swing it, they usually hire specials. They usually start looking in the winter/spring time. I see you are in central Mass. and it looks like you have a decent job so it might be hard for you to leave for a summer. Im not sure whats in central Mass. can only tell you what I know about western Mass. Also if you are not a first responder get that and cpr/aed done, it will be required for you to have to work. As well as most depts. require you to have your LTC already. Basically, you have to be serious about being a police officer to get the job, if you are not and are not clean cut and motivated enough you will definately not get it. To get part-time in this state is an big accomplishment. Build your resume, get trained in everything you can, get a degree, EMT, what ever you can get.

6. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

The Sheriff's rule changes ALL the time. Every year Yes, no, yes.. blah blah... Talk to your local PD Chief or a bordering town, many of them will sign for you.

7. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

I am about to graduate from the 29th Reserve class, and there are at least 3 Worceser Deputies in the class.

8. SUOKKO

SUOKKO MassCops Member

Unless you plan on going to the cape for the summer to work, or you know someone, good luck getting on once you get your R/I Academy completed. I feel people have a misconception about the R/I academy, they think once they graduate they will be hired on the spot...this is almost never the case. The jobs in MA are few and far between...and when one is posted you always seem to be competing with about 50+ guys to fill one reserve spot. It took me about 3 years to get hired...and that was for the Dept. I worked for as a dispatcher for almost 4 years. Well Best of Luck!

9. Pacman

Pacman Woggalicious!

Sheriffs can attend if they are sponsored by a Police Dept. In Waltham we sponsored 15 MIddlesex County Deputy Sheriffs.

10. NegroRotary

NegroRotary Subscribing Member

I'm attending a Reserve academy in Westport and we have 2 guys from Rhode Island.