Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone quick question if I attend and graduate the reserve academy in Foxboro MA will I have a good chance becoming an officer on a college campus / hospital pd. Secondly can working as a college pd officer be a career or does one need to move on after a while. Of course it does matter which college or pd you are working for. Thanks just looking for some example colleges and if the academy will be worth it. Take care all.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Hey everyone quick question if I attend and graduate the reserve academy in Foxboro MA will I have a good chance becoming an officer on a college campus / hospital pd. Secondly can working as a college pd officer be a career or does one need to move on after a while. Of course it does matter which college or pd you are working for. Thanks just looking for some example colleges and if the academy will be worth it. Take care all.
No, by state law, no one can make a career out of Campus Policing. you are limited to 5 years of campus policing, after that you must resign or be terminated.

And as far as becoming a campus cop, just by graduating the reserve academy, absolutely! One day before graduation, recruiters from Campus Police deparmtents show up for those recruits that do not have a job lined up. they are constantly recruiting out of reserve academies because of the 5 Year rule forced upon campus police officers.

Good luck, hope this helped.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No, by state law, no one can make a career out of Campus Policing. you are limited to 5 years of campus policing, after that you must resign or be terminated.

And as far as becoming a campus cop, just by graduating the reserve academy, absolutely! One day before graduation, recruiters from Campus Police deparmtents show up for those recruits that do not have a job lined up. they are constantly recruiting out of reserve academies because of the 5 Year rule forced upon campus police officers.

Good luck, hope this helped.
:L:

](*,)

·
Registered
843 Posts
To be honest, in order to get hired by most campus departments, a reserve academy doesnt mean shit anymore. Your going to need atleast the SSPA in order to be competative.

Full time academy is always going to be taken over part time.

G

·
You can make a career of being a Walmart greeter; the question is, do you want to?

Campus police jobs are like the proverbial box of chocolates; some would be fine careers, others you'd want to bail out at the first offer of something better.

G

·
Danny, you suffer from what I call 'Reserve Academy Career Image Dismorphia'. It is characterized by the belief that you are one of the 1% of reserve academy graduates that will get on the job. You will wake up after your donation to the MPTC, and have a headache for a while, but it won't last. It will be replaced with a feeling worse than when you wake up next to a '10 @ 2am' special.

Add the fact that in this economy, people with just the reserve are a dime a dozen, you have a long road ahead of you. Just keep building your resume, apply everywhere, and stand by.

Meow.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you are hired on as a campus cop after you attend the Reserve/Intermittent academy, you will end up going to their academy anyway.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
You've pretty much answered your second question. As for your first question, there are still some campus PD's that only require their officer's to attend the reserve academy, but in my opinion, most of the more career worthy departments require more.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You will need to be sponsored by a dept before you can go to the academy, you can't simply walk in and sign up though.. FYI

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe that you need an AS is Criminal Justice to get a waiver from the State Police unless they can swear you in as a town special if that exit.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Once you work for a college you are disqualified to work for a municipal department...They rather find a veteran who works as an electrician, plumber or carpenter who has real experience in what they are looking for!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Irish, that was a pretty stupid comment, like most on this site. People try to get good info hear but from what I hear from most cops that I work with closely most of you just like to hear yourselves talk. You are a joke.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Irish, that was a pretty stupid comment, like most on this site. People try to get good info hear but from what I hear from most cops that I work with closely most of you just like to hear yourselves talk. You are a joke.
If you don't like the site don't let the door hit you on the way out NOOB

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Wow, why don't you cry about it? WTF....

Someone is a bit over sensitive...

G

·
Yes, we're trying to change the world here. :rolleyes:

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
hey Danny Dirtbag go get fucked:up_yours::hump:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It would probally be better for you to ask a question and never reply again. Every time you re-post, you just dig your hole deeper. You can either take alllllllllll the info that was given to you and sort through it or get off the site.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts