Reserve Deputy Sheriffs | MassCops

Reserve Deputy Sheriffs

Discussion in 'Sheriffs' started by Sean128, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Sean128

Sean128 New Member

Hey guys,

New guy here. Don't flame me too much lol.

I found an article in my local paper (Malden) that 5 or 6 local residents got sworn in as reserve deputy sheriffs.
    I was wondering what type of training Reserve Deputies go through, and how to find infomation about how to apply to become one?

Thanks,

Sean

2. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

Holy Christ - almost 10 years later, 200 threads 2,700 bitch-slaps and they just keep coming. No offense to you personally, Sean.

devenob, frank, Tuna and 5 others like this.
  3. Sean128

Sean128 New Member

huh??

4. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, didn't make the local paper when I got "sworn-in"....

5. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

I stand corrected, apparently there was a picture taken of me for posterity:
    [​IMG]

devenob, 263FPD, zm88 and 1 other person like this.
  6. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Ok I will be the guy that just spells it out. It does not take much to become a Reserve Dep Sherriff in MA.

MPTC BRI academy and that is it. They don't really do much except details and the occasional prisoner watch at a hospital.

Part of the money they make on details goes to the Sheriffs dept. as well as some personal money up front pre-academy.

Most people on this site see them nothing but hacks. I know a few Ret. PD guys that are RDS.

I do not have so much a problem with the Reserve Dep. Sheriffs as I do with the Honorary hack ones.

If you are looking to get into Actual Police work )not just details) you are better off going to a Police Dept that has Reserve Police officers that can work shifts.

pahapoika likes this.
  7. Serapis

Serapis MassCops Member

They go through a 240 hour reserve academy. Well at least in Plymouth they do.

8. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG]

Rock likes this.
  9. Sean128

Sean128 New Member

Thanks man. At least someone answered the question.

10. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Well for someone who doesn't want to get flamed you just jumped out infront of the flamethrower!!! More then a little fresh there new guy don't ya think?

Thanks for stopping by and asking a question and I'm so sorry it wasn't answered quick enough for you! Ask another one and we will try to get right to business OOOOOORRRRR You could call your local sheriffs office and ask them next time

263FPD and USMCMP5811 like this.
  11. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Sean,

Statutorily, there are no training requirments (see MGL ch. 37, s. 3), nor any requirments that appointments be based on merit. Indeed, many appointments are based on blatant politics and patronage . And while most sheriffs do indeed do some training, the lack of consistent standards contrasted with the requirments put upon state and municipal police officers creates some animosity.

This issue has been hashed out hundreds of times on this site. It's like the toliet that just won't flush and constantly smells like poop. And Sean, you just used that hopper adding a fresh, unflushable dump. Not that you meant to, but don't become snippy because you didn't use the search function to ask a question that's been asked and answered over and over.

corsair, fra444, mtc and 3 others like this.
  12. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I think it also involves a jar of peanut butter and a thong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fra444 likes this.
  13. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

Alright, since I was once a "reserve deputy" I will give you a few pointers. First, find yourself a different organization to get involved with. You will have to first pay to join the "association" which is an incorporated business, at least for the county I was involved with. Second, you have to attend the reserve intermittent academy, which will cost you $1000+ plus other misc costs for uniforms, equipment for the academy. Third, once you complete that, you interview with a couple of "brass" reserve deputies. Fourth, once you are accepted, you then have to pay for your uniform, all your equipment (this includes gun, belt, cuffs, baton, etc), badge, whistle, hat, etc. Everything you could ever imagine you would need to perform the job from boots to the state seals on the collar, you have to pay for. Basic class A uniform is approx $250 + $75 for badge + $100 for their jacket. Oh, they MIGHT supply you with a bullet proof vest, but if they do not, you have to pony up the money to buy one of those as well, which they require a specific one which is upwards of $750.

Once you pay between $2500 - $3500 for the academy and equipment, uniforms, etc, then you are assigned to work a minimum of 180 hours of details per year, which by the way, are UN-PAID (At least at the sheriff's office I was with. Oh, and the majority of your details are between May - September. So you do the math of how much of your spare time during the summer will be spent doing details - for free.

So here is what you get out of all of that. You get a pretty little commission to hang up on the wall, an ID card that says, "Deputy Sheriff" with your picture on it and LEO "powers" throughout the county you serve in. Oh, and you get to drive around in a marked up dodge charger with blue lights and SHERIFF written down the side of it. God help you if you even THINK about pulling someone over. Yes, the dept will cite case law about how you have this authority and that authority, but remember, you are an unpaid reserve deputy sheriff, paying them to play cop, and that if you do something that looks poorly on the dept, you will be shunned and thrown under the bus and be opened to possible civil liability. And to top all of that off, you get no formal or informal FTO/OJT training. You learn as you go, pretty much on your own. "Stand here, point the traffic in that direction."

Oh, one other benefit you will get is you will have "monthly training" that will provide you with basic law updates and how to direct traffic guidelines. The training is counted as your in-service and you maintain your certification, or at least that is what they say. You have to pay a fee to attend each meeting, ranging from $5 - $20, depending on what topic is being discussed. Also, if you fail to attend a meeting for whatever reason, be it a family or work issue or whatever, you then have to pay a fee to take the class on your own, within one month, or you will be suspended. If they had an officer from a local department come in to teach a law update class, that officer is paid by the hour, generally at their OT or detail rate and you will have to pay them that for your "private lesson." A low ball figure would be something like $40 x 4 hour minimum = $160.

If you are looking for an alternative, perhaps look at joining an auxiliary department or try to get on as a reserve/part time officer somewhere. From what I understand, the majority of auxiliary and reserve departments supply all the uniforms equipment for you to do your duties.

I know that this may have sounded negative, but I joined the organization because I was eager to get back into law enforcement. I didn't heed the warning of those on this site and people I work with regarding the S.O. If I spent a little more time listening to them instead of being gung ho to get into the uniform again, i wouldn't have made a costly mistake.

Good luck.

14. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

Excellent post, JamnJim18.
    Lucid, detailed and well presented, along with the sorely needed "inside baseball" for the OP and anyone else hoping to backdoor the profession.

JamnJim18, Delta784 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  15. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Usually we get backdoored after we get on the job. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fra444 and USMCMP5811 like this.
  16. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Sounds to me like its basically the Sheriff's Auxiliary program. Being its unpaid, and requires volunteer hours. Maybe it would be looked upon differently if they just called it Sheriff's Auxiliary. Just to touch on JanJim, most police departments that employ PTers, especially if they are non-cs, and non-union, typically you have to supply your own equipment. A lot of the department will have spare equipment, or extra stuff hanging around, but for the most part, you're on your own for the bulk of your items as well.

As far as Auxiliary Policing goes. I'm pretty confident, that they don't start you out with anything. Maybe the standard shirt badge, hat badge, and duty weapon....but I imagine that being it. Seems like the Sheriff's make you buy everything for their program....Are the badges/shirts at least different so that you can tell a FT (trained) deputy vs. the reserve deputy?

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Can we make this a stand-alone and locked thread with a sticky?

It would spare us so many inane questions and pointless blathering.

18. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Suddenly your mister optimistic and you actually believe people are gonna use the search function?!?!?! LMFAO! YOU A FUNNY GUY!!!!

USMCMP5811, Delta784 and Foxy85 like this.
  19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Touche, but maybe if it's stuck at the top of a forum, it might spare us some of the "But, what if" nonsense.

fra444 likes this.
  20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Many, many moons ago when I was on the Braintree Auxiliary Police, they supplied us with 2 pairs of pants, 2 short sleeve shirts, 2 long sleeve shirts, clip-on tie, plain silver tie bar, a hat, a winter jacket, a windbreaker, 1 chest badge, 1 hat badge, 1 pair handcuffs, and rain boots.

The only things we had to supply was an American-made .38 Special revolver with a 4-inch barrel and 6-round capacity (I had a S&W Model 15), shoes/boots, and gunbelt, holster, cuff case, etc., but they did have a grab bag of leather gear that you could pick from.

21. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Wow. I'm impressed. Be it a while ago, but still. My area PD's, it is not uncommon for PTers to supply 95% of their own gear. I imagine CS towns and towns where PTers are part of the union are a little better off....

22. JamnJim18

JamnJim18 Guest

The uniform differences were if you were a reserve deputy, your uniform had a dark blue stripe down the side of your pants vs. a grey stripe like the FTers. Also, instead of silver badges like the FTers, you got a fancy gold badge. We were supposed to have a rocker above the sheriffs office patch that said, "Crime Prevention" but a lot of the deputies took them off because they felt that it was undermining their "authority" in the eyes of the public...don't ask me why.

I would have been fairly satisfied if they were to have supplied me with a badge and some equipment, but they supplied nothing. I had to pay for my own sheriff's office patches! Seriously?

Oh, if anyone is looking to join the sheriffs office and needs a uniform, I have one for sale. It is in excellent condition! Worn twice to a sheriffs..."function" Caviar and champagne smell still fresh! :cool:

[​IMG]

USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  23. stm4710

stm4710 Subscribing Member

When I was an auxiliary( up till last summer) we got 2 pants,2 shirts, jacket, radio,dress and baseball hat, 2 badges and hat badge,traffic vest and a grab bag of duty gear if you needed it. Gun was on your own(.40sw and below) but that was all you needed to supply. The FT chief would sign off on mptc specialized training if you were willing to go. I took advantage of it and ran with it, built myself a little book of certificates and got a nice new paying job! Learned alot and helped me in the right direction, if you got the time to give I suggest it as one possible stepping stone.

Foxy85 and Delta784 like this.
  24. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I should mention that all of the stuff was used/prior issue; they had a huge supply room that put AAA Police Supply to shame, and you got to pick your own stuff. All of it was in good condition, and I had to return it all when I resigned to go to the full-time academy.

25. Sean128

Sean128 New Member

Thanks for the info guys.

For the record, im not trying to back door any job. With the CS system the way it is,auxilary/volunteer police officers/firefighters are about the only way one can get a foot in the door without being having vet status or any other status our lovely little state comes up with. Sorry if I came across like that.

26. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

So in your eyes, veteran's preference is some scheme concocted by by "our lovely little state" for unworthy people?