Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I write about 300 ch 90 tickets a year, not all that much but I still have trouble on the Repair and Dealer plates. Can anyone give me the basic 411 on the use of these plates. Thank You in advance!!!
PS It seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry has either one of these plates on their (POVs) car. The registry issues them out like popcorn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can find the 411 about the use of these plates under both MGL c. 90, sec. 5 and 540 CMR 18.00. Good luck and happy hunting!

G

·
CMR 540/18

Clearly, ther RMV is not on our side with this one. I for one hate Dealer tags. 540 CMR 18.04 states several things. First it says that any misuse of Dealer tags with regards to the 540 18 CMR "shall be considered a violation of MGL 90/23" (attatching plates). It also states that a Dealer, manufacturer, etc may operate/tow (I'm paraphrasing) a MV owned by the dealer when such MV is "Operated principally for demonstration or sale related purposes".

To me, this means that some yahoo traveling late at night on my highway/hunting ground with a dealer plate on, who I can articulate is not engaged in a demonstration or sales related function of the vehicle, is in violation of attaching plates and will be towed/summonsed. I haven't tried it yet...............Ah the Clerk Magistrate/DA's think I'm a Constitution violating nut anyways, I might as well. Mabey if I can find one with booze on his breath I can sneak the 90/23 in there along with the 90/24.....any thoughts?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Here's one,

Try enforcing more tangible CMVI's that more directly impact public safety like;
Speeding
Marked Lane Violation
Stop sign
Fail to signal
OUI
Dropping dirt/cargo
Driving on sidewalk
Etc, etc, etc,.................

BHCCPD, I commend you for 300+ cites. You are probably doing a good enough job not to sweat the dealer plate issue. It's always a good idea to be knowledgeable, but don't let it prejudice you into a crusade against vehicles bearing dealer plates
:shock:

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mpd61 said:
Here's one,

Try enforcing more tangible CMVI's that more directly impact public safety like;
Speeding
Marked Lane Violation
Stop sign
Fail to signal
OUI
Dropping dirt/cargo
Driving on sidewalk

BHCCPD, I commend you for 300+ cites. You are probably doing a good enough job not to sweat the dealer plate issue. It's always a good idea to be knowledgeable, but don't let it prejudice you into a crusade against vehicles bearing dealer plates
That is true!! :smokin: I will chill out lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is a portion of a course offered on www.msponlineacademy.com
I hope it helps. If not go to the sight and request access to take the class.
:thumbup:
Use of Plates
Unless prohibited, any vehicle registered with a valid general distinguishing number plate shall be considered registered. You must consider the vehicle registered unless you find a violation in MGL chapter 90 section 5 or 540 CMR section 18. The registrar may issue a combined temporary general registration number plate and permit to temporarily replace a lost, stolen, illegible, or mutilated plate. These plates are green cardboard plates issued by the RMV. The plate comes with a permit and an expiration date. People are no longer allowed to hand write their own plates. Vehicles displaying hand written plates should be considered unregistered. Operation of a vehicle displaying a temporary plate after the expiration date shall indicate the vehicle is unregistered.
Types of Plates Available
The registrar issues five types of general distinguishing license plates for nine types of occupations.
Dealer plates can be issued to:
Manufacturer
Dealer
Recreational vehicle and recreational trailer dealer
Boat and boat trailer dealer

Repair plates can be issued to:
Repairman

Farm plates can be issued to:
Farmer
Person involved in the harvesting of forest products

Owner-contractor plates can be issued to :
Owner-contractor

Transporter plates can be issued to:
Transporter

USE OF A DEALER PLATE
A dealer may operate or tow a motor vehicle or trailer, which is owned by the dealer or manufacturer and is operated principally for demonstration or sale related purposes. (see RMV letter below)
A dealer may operate a motor vehicle owned by the dealer using the plate for the purpose of removing snow from the business property. The dealer may not plow other people's property, but may drive a dealership owned snow plow, registered with their dealer plate, on a public way from one of his lots to another of his lots to plow snow.
A dealer may not operate a motor vehicle owned by the dealer as equipment utilized in the operation of the business of said dealer, such as a courtesy bus or parts or service vehicle. A dealer cannot operate a vehicle on a dealer plate when that vehicle is used to pick up or deliver parts for the service department or used to pick up or deliver people.
The registry of motor vehicles issued a letter authorizing dealers and their agents to operate vehicles "for sale" for any purpose. The Registrar allowed the expanded use because of excise tax amendments which were signed into law by then Governor Paul Cellucci. This letter was written from M.G.L. Chapter 60A Section 1.
The letter from Registrar Richard D. Lyons dated December 30, 1998 states the following:
Beginning on January 1, 1999, the following described individuals, and only these individuals, may have unrestricted use of a dealer owned motor vehicle being operated with the general registration plate assigned to the dealer.
1. a dealer
2. the spouse of the dealer
3. a co-owner of the dealership (holds at least 40% interest)
4. the spouse of a co-owner
5. any employee who works at least 20 hours per week as a salesperson for the dealer
Unrestricted use means that an individual occupying one of the positions described above, and using the vehicle with permission of the dealer, may use the vehicle at any time and for any purpose, including for personal use.
The letter also requires the vehicle to display the window stickers on any vehicle being operated with a dealer plate.
Consumer information stickers, required by state or federal law to be attached to motor vehicles offered for sale by dealers, must now be displayed on any vehicle being operated with a dealer plate, according to the new law. Such stickers are normally required on passenger vehicles, sport utility vehicles and pick up trucks.
A used motor vehicle must have:
1. Used car byers guide
2. Used vehicle warranty law
A new motor vehicle must have:
1. Manufacturer's suggested retail price
2. New and lease car warranty law
LOANING PLATES/VEHICLES
No motor vehicle registered under a general registration plate shall be loaned or let for hire for more than 5 consecutive days. A dealer can loan a dealership car and a dealership plate to a potential customer for up to 5 days (while they test drive it). They cannot exceed 5 days.
No person, business or corporation shall loan, let for hire or rent any general registration number plate or allow such plate to be attached to a motor vehicle in any manner in violation of 540 CMR 18. A repairman cannot loan his plate to a friend so his friend can put it on his unregistered boat trailer and go on vacation.

USE OF A REPAIR PLATE A repairman may only operate with the registration, motor vehicles, trailers or tractor-trailer combinations:1. Controlled, but not owned by the repairer and operated for the purpose of repairing, altering, equipping or reconditioning the vehicle or any transportation incidental thereto (a repairman can put repair plate on a customers car and test drive it while he is repairing it), and not for commuting or other personal use; or2. Owned by the repairer an designed to draw, tow or transport motor vehicles and displaying a compliance decal issued in accordance with 540 CMR 18.03 (a repairman can put repair plate on a tow truck as long as the tow truck has a compliance decal or registration receipt). Such a vehicle may tow or transport an unregistered motor vehicle pursuant to MGL chapter 90 section 9, if the towing vehicle is properly registered, displays a repair plate, and maintains insurance which also provides coverage for the motor vehicle being towed; or3. Owned by the repairer and used primarily in the repairer's business (a repairman can put repair plate on a parts or service vehicle as long as business name is displayed and the vehicle has a compliance decal or receipt), and displaying on the vehicle the business name and the municipality where the business is located in permanent lettering at least 1 ½ inches in size, which is plainly visible from each side or from the front and rear of the vehicle; or4. Owned by the repairer and classified as a total loss salvage motor vehicle as defined in MGL chapter 90D section 1, if the following conditions are met:a. The motor vehicle is being transported for purchase, sale, repair, or testing; andb. The operator carries a bill of sale or salvage title for the vehicle;5. Purchased by the repairer and transported within 10 days of the purchase date and the operator is in possession of the bill of sale and the seller's certificate of title or a receipt for the repairer's application for a certificate or title;(They are allowed 10 days because MGL 90D gives you 10 days to title your vehicle) or6. Owned by the repairer and operated for the purpose of removing snow from the business property.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Somebody has to step up to the plate and deal with this issue. I am glad this is being addressed; consequently, it is all to common on the roadways of our communities. :evil:
mpd61 said:
Here's one,

Speeding
Marked Lane Violation
Stop sign
Fail to signal
OUI
Dropping dirt/cargo
Driving on sidewalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts