Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an odd one. Anyone know if rental trucks, i.e. Penske or U-Haul 25 foot trucks are required to stop at weigh stations? Particularly if it's for a person moving their stuff, as opposed to when it's a commercial fleet rental, where the operator would need a log book, medical card, etc.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As far as I know, all Hertz,Uhaul trucks can be driven on a Class D license as they are under 26000 lbs. Therefore it does not have to stop at weight stations. Only big rigs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the tricky part, you're right, light duty wreckers and other trucks over 10,000 GVWR do have to stop, have a med. card, but if they aren't 100 air miles from base, don't need a log book. That's where I'm getting confused though. Since rental trucks are technically commercial, and a Trooper wouldn't know if it was a private rental or a fleet lease, would they chase it? I am not a Trooper, and Comm. vehicle enforcement isn't my thing, and most of that stuff is I.C.C. stuff. This just came up, and I didn't have the answer. :crazy:

·
MassCops Member
218 Posts
But since they dont meet the 26,001 lbs GVWR, dont have air brakes, dont carry HAZMAT then would they really meet the requirements of the a commercial class vehicle?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, any comm. registered vehicle over 10,000 GVWR falls under I.C.C., the 26,001 and over just means you need a CDL to operate it. Like USMCMP was saying, light duty wreckers are under 26,001, often don't have air brakes, and don't necessarily cary HAZMAT, but still have to follow the comm. vehicle regulations. I think I'm getting myself more confused. Is there a Truck Team Trooper in the house?

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Not a truck team trooper but they are required to stop and depending on the GVW they must have
the proper lic. to operate the truck.
If they are using the truck for a personal move
and not under employment no log book or
medical card is needed.
This comes under federal regs.
Most states will pursue the truck if it does not
stop. Simple reason for this is the unknown
operation of the truck, commerical or private.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wolfman";p="62140 said:
Does it say "commercial" on the plate?
Not neccessarily, as many of those trucks are registered in other states, and they bounce around from location to location.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
If your not sure wouldnt it be just as easy to drive into the wiegh station and say "Hey, I wanst sure I needed to be weighed......do I?".

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stm4710";p="62207 said:
If your not sure wouldnt it be just as easy to drive into the wiegh station and say "Hey, I wanst sure I needed to be weighed......do I?".
Sure, and if you wanted to drive to Florida with your Glock, it'd be just as easy to stop at each State Police headquarters to see if you need a LTC... It's usually best to find out in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.