Registered plates taken off private property | MassCops

Registered plates taken off private property

Discussion in 'Vehicle Laws' started by LadyHawk, Jun 22, 2018.

1. LadyHawk

LadyHawk New Member

Hi all. Last year 2 officers were called by my old landlord to enforce a vacate order of a condemned apt i was living in from the town building inspector. They could not do that and i informed them of my rights and the landlord refused to put me in hotel in which the court ordered. They took the plates off of my truck.
    My plates were registered on my truck up until yesterday. At the time i was not insured and needed 3 days to fix that. My truck could not be seen from public road as it was a long dirt driveway to go down and all woods around the house i rented. They never turned my plates in. I went to insure (happened) then to the rmv. I had 1 tax to pay but found out it was much to high to pay yesterday. It racked up over due excise tax, fees ect now i dont know what to do. Is what they did legal?

2. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

I’m confused

LadyHawk likes this.
  3. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

There is a lot of extra Information there but yes they are absolutely entitled to go onto your property and take the plates. The are the state’s property and can be taken back when revoked, canceled, etc. I’m assuming your car was parked in the driveway and not in the garage, backyard or anything

LadyHawk likes this.
  4. felony

felony MassCops Member

Sounds like they took your plates because they were revoked for insurance. You must have shined them on, to break out the mulit-tool. BTW the police were called to your property by the landlord, so they were lawfully present.

LadyHawk likes this.
  5. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

If the home and property's curtilage is open to licensees or invitees, it is considered reasonable for a person or police officer to walk from a public area to the obvious main entrance to the home using the most obvious path in order to talk to the resident. But otherwise, government agents need consent, a warrant, or probable cause of exigent circumstances to enter a home's curtilage. Your homes curtilage is afforded less protection under the fourth amendment absent "No Trespassing" signs or fences with locked gates.

j809 and LadyHawk like this.
  6. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

LadyHawk, God Bless ya. It certainly seems your life is a bit of a malfunction. This is not a condemnation, not at all, but you were living in a condemned house and your vehicle's plates were taken (just prior to expiration) because you had no insurance and owed taxes.

It seems you're worried if the Officers acted legally, when it seems you did not. I hope you can get back on track and fix your life, THAT'S where you seem to need to pay attention.

This is just an understanding of the facts that you presented and again, I'm NOT putting you down.

wrangler, FTH, HistoryHound and 3 others like this.
  7. LadyHawk

LadyHawk New Member

Thanks. My truck was parked. Yes I was living in an illegal apartment for 3 years without my knowledge and the town condemned it. Landlord tried inforcing the order but could not because i had the papers from court stating that he has to put me in a hotel which he refused to do. He told the officers my truck was uninsured and in 3 days it was to be reinsured. They removed my plates and never turned them into the rmv. Therefore causing a high excise tax with fees that i could not afford. They took my plates last year. I went to rmv finally after caring for my living situation this past Thursday and the plates were still registered.

8. LadyHawk

LadyHawk New Member

I was not driving my truck illegally.

9. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I'm not trying to be funny here, have you looked into getting a lawyer from one of the many free legal defense groups out there? I don't know who they are, and I can't recommend one, but I know they're out there. If you were wronged, and that may very well be the case, THAT is the resource you want to tap into, not a POLICE oriented website. Look around, contact the local court. You're not out there alone if you make an effort to find the help you seem to need and this is not the place. We're more likely to give credence to the law enforcement personnel who probably got caught in the middle of this shitstorm.

Few here are FOND of lawyers, but I believe almost all here know their worth and know that when you need one, you SEEK one. Loads of FREE legal help for those who seek it.

RodneyFarva, j809, FTH and 1 other person like this.
  10. LadyHawk

LadyHawk New Member

Thank you. To be very clear...I have always respected Law enforcement and will continue to do so. This in no way has changed my view on Blue Lives Matter and my respect for any officer in any law enforcement around the world.

I was looking for other views on my situation from other officers.

Thank you all for your responses . I appreciate your time to respond.

Stay safe out there!! The world needs you.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  11. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Massachusetts Law does allow for removal of registration plates.

Every such officer, upon the request of the registrar, shall demand forthwith the license of any operator and the certificate of registration and may take into his possession the number plates of any motor vehicle situated in a city or town within such officer's jurisdiction when said license or certificate has been suspended or revoked by the registrar and shall forward the said license, certificate and plates to the registrar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilvinsky, RodneyFarva and LadyHawk like this.