Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just talking to one of my friends from school who is applying for co-op positions, one of which is Regis College. Is there any truth that they actually give weapons and arrest powers to students w/o any prior training and do they send them to any kind of training before doing this??

I personally think it's kinda whacked out because I know they hire typical college students, ie. binge drinkers. So why in the WORLD would a college want to arm them as students themselves?

·
Registered
253 Posts
i was unaware that regis college pd was armed.... :-k

i dont have to beat a dead horse about this issue, but having untrained persons performing a police officers duties is a HUGE liability!

anywho, best of luck to them........

:twisted:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Regis College is deputized under Middlesex County, otherwise they are not SSPO's at least they were'nt while I worked there in 99. Also they conduct very poor background checks, while I was there they hired a kid with a conviction for possession of Class A w/intent, dont expect any training either

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
They are a mix of Deputies and SSPO's. All are Deputies, a few are SSPO's. Like 90% of the Colleges in MA, they are not armed. The only training really offered is Reserve Intermittent, ASP, OC, CPR/First Responder which to my understanding was lacking a couple of years ago.

But the nearly triple the level of incidents on Campus in the last 2 years as prompted a few changes. The schools itself is all female. However there are males and females living in a co-ed dorm that is rented by another College. Last year they provided alot of action, this year our own girls are a handful.

I know the binge drinker you're talking about, he nearly single handedly arrested 3 fleeing felons (B&E Nighttime) =D> . Yeah, the background checks are weak - but I don't make the rules. I'm just there for my Friday night action, that it - 1 shift a week. I agree, there are a few guys there who have little or no clue of what they're doing. I have previous LE experience and know that I at least have a clue of what I can/can't do and what I should be doing - which of course admin won't let me do it.

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RPD931 said:
Like 90% of the Colleges in MA, they are not armed. The only training really offered is Reserve Intermittent, ASP, OC, CPR/First Responder which to my understanding was lacking a couple of years ago.
Ok, so I can at least call them on that part.

I know the binge drinker you're talking about, he nearly single handedly arrested 3 fleeing felons (B&E Nighttime) =D> [/quote]

P is cool in my book, I was just curious as to what they had to do. I do not recall hearing him speak of going to a Reserve though, is it an intensive one that lasts a few weeks?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
LOL, good point on P. But like I said, I don't make the rules - I'm just an indian there.

But he is pretty sharp...

·
Registered
148 Posts
RPD, that is a pic of me. You do not have my written consent to publish it. :wink: :wink: It is nice to see that I am still remembered at MGH.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Those guys that finished the MBTA Academy a few years back are no longer there. I believe one went to Brookline PD, forgot where the other went.

The previous Asst. Director became a trooper, he graduated from the last class.

G

·
One went to Newton PD and the other to Wellesley College PD, they stepped up to the plate and paid for thier own academys and got the upper hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.