Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any former military thinking of reenlisting in Active or Reserve components? I think about it as I watch the guys overseas in the news. When I ETS'd I said no way in hell would I go back. As time goes by one forgets about the BS and CFs (as one does with any memories). If it wasn't for my wife I'd probably be sweating my a%$ off in BDUs saying, "Why did I do this again?"

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just got out after four years in the AF on Sunday and I can say right now I will never go back in. At times I think I may miss some of the good parts about the military but when you throw in deployments I just can not do it. However, I would recommend the military for anybody who wants a police job as civil service. I know everybody complains about civil service but I walked right into a job being a veteran.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your a prior service MP (any branch) I would reccomend the 66th SF Squadron at Hanscom AFB. It is an active duty squadron that has an oustanding IMA (Iindividual Mobilization Augmentee) program.

The IMA program allows you (as an individual reservist) to schedule your drills and annual training period. If you have ever been in the reserves you understand how cool this is. You do not attend scheduled "drills" with 100 other reservists, instead you schedule when you will attend (4 shifts a quarter, minimum). You arrive, arm-up, attend guard mount and go to work. You must schedule your annual training, basically any 14 consecutive days you want, and come in and work.

The 66th is an LE squadron. You will enforce MGL Chp 90, respond to alarms, domestics, 911, etc. There are 4 operational flights (A-D) that handle LE patrols and supervision, a K-9 section, an investigations section, a DARE program, a corrections section, a CATM (combat arms training & maintenance) section, and so forth.

Our gates are manned by civilian armed guards, which allows us to concentrate on police work.

They only accept E-4's and above. As an E-4 you are automatically placed in an E-5 position. You need to be a trained and mature member that can manage your own military career.

90% of current IMA's are sworn PO's or federal agents that work in and around the local area.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
yeah i was active army, came in active navy and still considering re-enlisting back to the army either active or NG/reserves. but i have spent lots of time sweating my ass off in DCU's saying "y did i do this again". I know if i get out I am gonna miss the hell outta it and I still feel like i haven't done enough, i feel like I am abondoning my country when I am needed most! but what it is coming down to is wife/family VS. service to my country. and it really sux! and eats me up inside

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are in law enforcement, you can think of it as serving your country in war or peacekeeping. Look how many civilians and POs are killed during crimes and car crashes. And there is plenty of hatred/disrepect. Sometimes I want to reenlist, but I can also stay here, take care of my family and defend them from the war down the street.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
yeah I am 98% sure I am getting out. Especially when I come home and see a set of blue lights I think to myself- yeah i gotta get out. & gave the last 10 years of my life, i have shed enough blood, fired enough bullets jumped enough, roped enough blew up enough stuff, sweat enough sweat and shed enough tears for my fallen comrades. I have an obligation to my family and i can serve them and my country/state as a PO just as well. I mean i gotta get out eventually right. if i do 22 years and get out when i am 40 then i will still have to work & trying to break in to this field will be hard @ 29 & ALOT HARDER @ 40! That and I am sick of my daughters not knowing who I am.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The IMA Program is a great program. I'm giving it some thought as well. The Reserves have been good to me, but as an IMA I can pick a Base got there and do my drills and annual tour all in one shot and be dome for the year. Admittidly not all units will let you do this, so you have to do your homework first, but, if you can find a unit that will allow this, what a great deal. I'm loking at Florida or the Carolinas. The 66th is a good unit too. I had a friend there as a Sr.Master Sgt. he's retired now, but it's a good unit to be in.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm considering reenlisting in a Reserve Component... looking at USMCR, USNR or the USCGR.... just weighing all my options right now since full-time appointments are hard to come by and I can't afford to go back to college without some serious reorganization.

Any Coast Guard PS guys/gals on here?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
If I wasn't R3-RP I'd be back in a friggin HEART-BEAT!!!!!!!
:cry:
EOD1 and evrybody else out there........come on home and stand proud, you put your hat in the ring enough!!!!
:t: =D> :rock:

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
A mesage from Mosul for you guys thinking of coming back in (in particular if your looking at the reserves). I have a lot of active duty time; enlisted and commissioned. I've been in the reserve component since 1992. This is my second deployment in three years.

This is not ment to belittle any of you. However you need to look very hard at what your thinking of doing. I spent the first six months in Baghdad, except for indirect fire, not too bad. I've been in Mosul; for three weeks. We have had three KIA on our base from sniper fire since I got here! On the streets, the enemy is using increasingly powerful explosives. Up -armored vehicles are often destroyed in the blast! I've got about 5 months left here and just want to bring all the guys home safe. But 5 months is a long time here.

The reserve component is shouldering about half of the fight here. I have started running into reservest and guardsmen on their second deployment. (Some Spec Ops guys [reserve] are on their 4th)!

One of you has said that being out there (at home) doing the job is serving. It is! Stay home and enjoy your kids... watch them grow and hope they do not have to come here! If you choose to come, you will be welcomed, you will learn much about your self and others.

Good luck to you all.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
Sir,

Thank you for the message and the support.

By the way, anyone with questions, feel free to ask. OPSEC permitting
I'll be happy to answer. And remember, don't believe everthing you
see in the media. In the big picture, things are improving and we're
winning. It'll still be a long road, this coming year will be key.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Yeah, after talking to a bunch of former and current members of the reserve components, I am working with a USCG Reserve on hammering out a contract.

·
Subscribing Member
1,170 Posts
Having passed my retirement date several years ago I found myself saying "If I had stayed in". I suppose many say the same thing. But, one never knows what journey life brings. Especially now, as I walk my beat at a medical center. Whatever will be, will be...... :roll:

·
Subscribing Member
369 Posts
I got out of active duty back in 1993, i have been in and out of the guard/reserve, now i'm going back in, Otis ANG Base as Security Force, hoping to go to tech school soon, i miss the military, but when you have family is hard on then too you know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.