Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Red Sox Negotiate Trading Manny To Dodgers

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Becks27 
#1 ·
BOSTON (WBZ) ― The Red Sox are in negotiations with the L.A. Dodgers about possibly sending Manny Ramirez to them in a trade, WBZ's Dan Roche learned.

In return, the Red Sox would get one of the Dodgers' top young players such as Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp or James Loney.

The trade would be a big splash for Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, should the team pick up Ramirez.

In a short interview before Sunday night's game against the Yankees, Ramirez said he is "tired" of the Boston Red Sox and would agree to a trade that would make both him and the team happy.

But he said he doesn't think it will happen and Boston, battling for a playoff spot, needs the production of its cleanup hitter despite its oft-contentious relationship with him.

Four days before the non-waiver trading deadline, Ramirez said Sunday, "I'm tired of them. They're tired of me."

The Red Sox have until Nov. 9 to pick up a $20 million option for next year on Ramirez, who would have to approve any trade as a 10-year veteran with five years on the same team. They also have a $20 million option for 2010. Ramirez is in the final year of his guaranteed eight-year, $160 million contract.

In separate e-mails to The Associated Press, Red Sox owner John Henry and general manager Theo Epstein put their focus on the pennant race.

On Friday, Ramirez said he couldn't play because of a sore right knee and manager Terry Francona scratched him from the original lineup. MRIs on both knees then "came back fine," Francona said, and Ramirez started Saturday and was in the lineup again Sunday.

He also missed last Wednesday's game at Seattle with what he said was a sore knee. The Red Sox were off Thursday.

Ramirez originally told ESPNdeportes.com on Sunday that he wouldn't object to a trade if the Red Sox are better without him.

Later, in the clubhouse, he said, "What I said was, if the Red Sox think they can find a trade that's going to make their team better and both sides are going to be happy, I'm going to agree. But they cannot find a trade. It's something simple. It's no big deal."

Francona said before the game that he wasn't aware of the ESPNdeportes interview.

And he didn't know if Ramirez was in a good mood.

"I'm not sure that matters," Francona said. "I'd take a guy that's hitting .500 that's miserable as opposed to a guy that hands out bouquets to his teammates and is hitting a buck 45. ... You move on. The goal is to get better from it. I think we've done a good job of that here."

Ramirez's remarks came while the Red Sox are struggling and the Yankees are closing in. The Yankees won two out of three games at Fenway Park this weekend.

Ramirez asked to be traded after the 2005 and 2006 seasons but said he doesn't expect to be traded during this season.

"That's not going to happen," he said. "They're not stupid. Boston is not stupid. They can say whatever they want but when it comes to make a deal, they're not going to pull the trigger because they know what they got here."

http://wbztv.com/sports/redsox/manny.ramirez.trade.2.783072.html

See less See more
#3 ·
Ramirez to Dodgers, Bay to Boston in deadline deal

Ramirez to Dodgers, Bay to Boston in deadline deal
BOSTON (AP)-Manny Ramirez is headed to Hollywood.
The Red Sox finally parted ways with their disgruntled slugger, sending him to the Los Angeles Dodgers in a startling, three-team trade Thursday that brought Jason Bay to Boston.
Pittsburgh gave up Bay and wound up with four young players. The deal was completed just before the 4 p.m. EDT deadline for making trades without waivers.
As of early Thursday, it appeared Ramirez might be on his way to the Florida Marlins. But when those talks fizzled, the Red Sox and Pirates found a willing third partner in the Dodgers.
Foxsports.com and SI.com reported the trade.
Ramirez, the MVP of the 2004 World Series, remains one of baseball's best hitters and has enjoyed plenty of big moments in October. But his relationship with the Red Sox soured-again-in recent months, prompting the All-Star outfielder to agree to the deal.

And now, Manny can be Manny on the West Coast.

G
#4 ·
He is a good hitter, but I have had enough of manny being manny. I know only a few people can do what he does but if it wasn't for baseball he would be herding goats somewhere. I'm sick of these high payed ball players whining all the time. I hope he goes out to LA and makes a complete ass of himself.

G
#5 ·
I think Jason Bay is a perfect replacement; he has more homers this year than Manny, and the Green Monster is over 15 feet closer to home plate than the left field wall at PNC Park. I think Bay is going to hit a ton of doubles off the wall as well as HR's.

#6 ·
As a die hard Sox fan I hate this trade. Theo bent over and took this one where the sun don't shine. I do realize that Manny had to go as he was becoming a distraction, but there was no need to get rid of Moss, Hansen AND pay the remainder of Manny's salary. Jason Bay is a good player, but he is no Manny Ramirez, however their aren't many like Manny out there. Since the Sox are paying Manny's salary I would have prefered a straight up deal with LA for one of their high profile kids like Kemp, Ethier, or Loney. With Manny's salary and Schilling's salary coming off the books at the end of the season, don't be surprised to see the Sox be MAJOR players in the free agency market in the off season. Mark Teixeira and CC Sabathia anyone????

#7 ·
Send that fat, lazy, obnoxious jackass to anyone willing to trade.
I'll take a top flight ball girl for that self-centered, grandstanding shit head.
I'm sick of his crap. "Manny being Manny" is a euphemism for we'll take his shit as long as he produces.

The game is better than that and the Sox are FAR better than that. Be gone man child. Your no better than Jack Clark or Carl Everett.
You just play the imbecile act better. Good riddance jackass.

G
#12 ·
As a die hard Sox fan I hate this trade. Theo bent over and took this one where the sun don't shine. I do realize that Manny had to go as he was becoming a distraction, but there was no need to get rid of Moss, Hansen AND pay the remainder of Manny's salary. Jason Bay is a good player, but he is no Manny Ramirez, however their aren't many like Manny out there.
I disagree; Moss is a fourth outfielder at best, and the Sox already have that in either Jacoby Ellsbury or Coco Crisp (depending on Francona's mood that day). If the Sox really need a fifth outfielder (which Moss really was on this team), there are options at Pawtucket and in free agency (remember Bobby Kielty? He's now unemployed).

Hansen has been a huge disappointment, in spite of equally huge expectations. Again, there are options at Pawtucket for middle relief.

As for Jason Bay, he's put up comparable numbers in every statistical offensive category compared to Manny this year, and even has more HR's right now. He's a superior defensive player compared to Manny, and his demeanor is described as comparable to Mike Lowell. I don't know about you, but I'll take two Mike Lowells in my clubhouse any time it's offered.

#13 ·
I disagree; Moss is a fourth outfielder at best, and the Sox already have that in either Jacoby Ellsbury or Coco Crisp .
We can debate this trade all day long, and i'm sure many people will, however Moss will step in right away and start for the Pirates. Remember David Murphy?? He was a fourth outfielder at best according to many and look what he's doing in Texas this year. 263, 14 hrs, 67 rbis, 27 doubles probably (and should be) 2nd in ROY voting behind Longoria. Sad thing is Murphy wasnt even the better prospect Theo got rid of for Gagne, remember the name of Engel Beltre, he will be a star for Texas in 2-3 years.

G
#14 ·
We can debate this trade all day long, and i'm sure many people will, however Moss will step in right away and start for the Pirates. Remember David Murphy?? He was a fourth outfielder at best according to many and look what he's doing in Texas this year. 263, 14 hrs, 67 rbis, 27 doubles probably (and should be) 2nd in ROY voting behind Longoria. Sad thing is Murphy wasnt even the better prospect Theo got rid of for Gagne, remember the name of Engel Beltre, he will be a star for Texas in 2-3 years.
Do you remember; Michael Coleman, Dwayne Hosey, Izzy Alcantara, Jose Malave, Lew Ford, Angel Mendoza, Gerry Hancock, and Phil Plantier?

All "can't miss" outfield prospects who did nothing of note for the Red Sox.

Manny is addition by subtraction. He can go cry and whine to the LA press, while his bat has been adequately replaced by someone with a maturity level above that of a kindergartener.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.