Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so you pull up to a red light, there is no "no turn on red sign"...but then you look and see an arrow for the turn signal for a right turn.

Can you make a right turn on the red arrow?

I say no because the arrow is the overall controling signal. It's in place because there are multiple turn arrows and traffic patterns, so it controls the turn....

Am I right or wrong?

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
A steady red arrow means the same as a steady red, circular signal. The steady red arrow applies only to vehicles intending to proceed in the direction of the arrow. The same rules for "turning on red" apply.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have to say that you CAN turn on a red arrow. The red arrow denotes the fact that the lane that the vehicle is in can only turn right. For instance, an off-ramp from the highway that only allows you to turn right onto the main road. The reason that the light is an arrow is the same reason that there is a white arrow in the road; you can only go right. As stated in FSCPD907's post, the same rules of "turning on red" apply (taken from the RMV's Driver's Manual). Another thing to consider is that I have seen stop lights that are arrows and "No Turn on Red" signs posted at them. Why would there only sometimes be "No Turn on Red" signs at these lights if you can't do it anyway?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just do not agree with you. There would be no point to the red arrow if this was the case. The light would be blinking yellow or maybe instead of the light a yield sign. But it's just my opinion........can someone just end this with perhaps a statute?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Taken from the CPS Motor Vehicle Law Textbook (Pat Rogers):

In C. 89 S. 8, the law reads "At any intersection on ways, as defined in section one of chapter ninety, in which vehicular traffic is facing a steady red **indication in a traffic control signal, the driver of a vehicle which is stopped as close as practicable at the entrance to the crosswalk or the near side of the intersections or, if none, then at the entrance to the intersecion in obedience to such red or stop signal, may make either (1) a right turn or (2) if on a one-way street may make a left turn to another one-way street, but shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and other traffic proceeding as directed by the signal at said intersection."

This states a steady red "indication"; it does not specify a circular or arrow light. So I believe that you can turn on a red arrow.

G

·
Looks to me like it's open to interpretation and I would be writing a citation for that ALL DAY until I was called on the carpet for it........

·
Registered
370 Posts
The reason the signal is there is for the times when the arrow will be green to turn right, yet the straight through traffic will have to stop for their signal. The green arrow allows all the traffic in the right lane to keep moving for the right turn.
When red, can turn after stopping, unless sign prohibits.

Sniper, I disagree. It's pretty embarrassing to be called out in open court when the operator you wrote understands, or has a better interpretation of the law than the officer who wrote the citation. Not only embarrassing, but the judges tend to remember those with less credibility.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
This is a coincidence. This question actually came out in a publication from the RMV & our Traffic Programs section in Sept. Unless its posted "No Turn on Red", a red arrow is a red light. Vehicles can turn.

Stop. look, make a right turn.

G

·
Thanks for the clarification Troop........ and Clouseau my reference to getting called on the carpet didn't specifically mean in court....... I meant till someone could say for sure that it was one way or the other...... sorry for the miscommunication. This whole topic reminds me of a converstaion I had last week with someone over the correct fine for 89/9. lol

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DAMN IT! This is gonna cost me a trip to Ikea!

USMCTrooper said:
This is a coincidence. This question actually came out in a publication from the RMV & our Traffic Programs section in Sept. Unless its posted "No Turn on Red", a red arrow is a red light. Vehicles can turn.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm confused...wasn't the original question "can you make the turn if there is a sign that says no turn on red"?? I agree you can make the turn if there is no sign there, but if there is a sign that says you can't - then that over rides the "right on red" law.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so you pull up to a red light, there is no "no turn on red sign"...but then you look and see an arrow for the turn signal for a right turn.

jackryan said:
I'm confused...wasn't the original question "can you make the turn if there is a sign that says no turn on red"?? I agree you can make the turn if there is no sign there, but if there is a sign that says you can't - then that over rides the "right on red" law.

G

·
SOT_II said:

Yes...

USMCTrooper said:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Sounds like SOT_II got some flak from the Mrs' for blowing a light. "IKEA, here we come". LOL :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,134 Posts
Heck, you can make a left turn on a red left turn arrow IF there is not a 'no turn on red' sign posted, you are on a one-way street, and you are turning onto a one way street.

Now that would have been a good trivia question. :)

The only one that I can think of off the top of my head where you can do this (and it's actually a left arrow) is 2nd Avenue and Winter Street in Waltham.

G

·
frank said:
Heck, you can make a left turn on a red left turn arrow IF there is not a 'no turn on red' sign posted, you are on a one-way street, and you are turning onto a one way street.

Now that would have been a good trivia question. :)

The only one that I can think of off the top of my head where you can do this (and it's actually a left arrow) is 2nd Avenue and Winter Street in Waltham.
Theres quite a few streets in Bahstin like that too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The last time I looked the intersection with WInter St and 2nd Ave in Waltham was posted "no left on red". It was the first such sign I had ever seen.

On Thanksgiving I saw a Brockton officer stop and cite a car in front of him take a left on red (I think it was Belmont St, one-way at that point) onto Main St. It was not posted to the contrary.

I'm willing to bet that if you polled every municipal officer in MA, probably 80-90% don't know that left on red after stop is legal. I know that when I was a Special PO I had asked damn near every officer I worked with about that, and none of them were aware of this law. I was trying to find out if it was legal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.