Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first-time poster, and long-time viewer. I am planning on attempting to lateral transfer to New Hampshire and I am preparing well in advance and trying to gather a list of agencies to test at. I plan on trying to test next year as I have some obligations now stopping me from trying now. I am finishing my degree and it takes up a lot of my free time. I am also considering parts of Maine as well. I am not interested in Massachusetts or Vermont, as I have family in NH, I try to visit every year. And the taxes and crazy liberals in Vermont don't seem to be pro-LE. NH and parts of ME still seem to have some normalcy at least even if it is more liberal than where I am from. That's the vibe I get when I visit family at least. The only places in NH I am not interested in are Manchester, Concord, Nashua, or Londonderry. To my understanding, a few of those don't do the NH law package for out-of-state laterals and I also have tattoos prohibiting me from applying to some of those agencies as well. I am looking for a mid-sized municipal PD that will allow my tattoos. Any extra incentives such as education, extra pay for certifications, etc. are a bonus to me, the pay seems to be comparable among agencies for laterals at least. I understand, like everywhere, good applicants are hard to find so if anyone has any info feel free to share.

Feel free to PM me if you have any agencies to avoid, personal info, etc. that you don't want public. I will try to keep an eye out for messages. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you are at all interested in federal LE, and you are at least a few years shy of 37 yoa, read on for a couple of outside the box suggestions:

US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has positions in NH as either a CBP OFO officer (blue uniform at a port of entry) or a Border Patrol agent (green uniform patrolling between ports of entry). Getting NH as an initial duty location is unlikely; CBP OFO does hire for specific offices including those in NH, but Border Patrol will send you to do your time on the southwest border before being eligible to transfer (which could be a fun adventure or a living hell depending on your attitude and priorities). The pay is better than what you'd find in local or state LE in NH. Patrol agents (as they're called) or CBPOs get to and well beyond $100k within a few years as GS-12s with overtime.

Another federal job that's maybe worth mentioning here is Bureau of Prisons officer. The prison in Berlin, NH is hiring now and will be next year: Correctional Officer (Senior Officer)

The advantage to getting on with BOP is that it gets you in the special retirement system for federal LEOs (25 years at any age or 20 years at age 50, and higher percentage of your salary than regular federal pension). Once you're in, the clock stops ticking (you have to enter the system before you turn 37 or you age out) and you can shop around for another federal LE job if that's what you want. Many special agents, including several of my colleagues, started their federal careers as BOP officers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are at all interested in federal LE, and you are at least a few years shy of 37 yoa, read on for a couple of outside the box suggestions:

US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has positions in NH as either a CBP OFO officer (blue uniform at a port of entry) or a Border Patrol agent (green uniform patrolling between ports of entry). Getting NH as an initial duty location is unlikely; CBP OFO does hire for specific offices including those in NH, but Border Patrol will send you to do your time on the southwest border before being eligible to transfer (which could be a fun adventure or a living hell depending on your attitude and priorities). The pay is better than what you'd find in local or state LE in NH. Patrol agents (as they're called) or CBPOs get to and well beyond $100k within a few years as GS-12s with overtime.

Another federal job that's maybe worth mentioning here is Bureau of Prisons officer. The prison in Berlin, NH is hiring now and will be next year: Correctional Officer (Senior Officer)

The advantage to getting on with BOP is that it gets you in the special retirement system for federal LEOs (25 years at any age or 20 years at age 50, and higher percentage of your salary than regular federal pension). Once you're in, the clock stops ticking (you have to enter the system before you turn 37 or you age out) and you can shop around for another federal LE job if that's what you want. Many special agents, including several of my colleagues, started their federal careers as BOP officers.
Yeah, I had considered CBP but no way in hell would my wife move any further south, she hates the heat where we live as it is. I'm unfamiliar with what an OFO is though. I had heard though that New England stations were hard fought for on the agent side and given to senior guys given what the southern border is like now. One look at all their incentives for the southern stations tells me all I need to know. Maybe in another life, I'm sure it would be fun. As for corrections, it seems better than most correctional gigs, I will keep it in mind. I would like to stay with patrol though. Would be hard leaving a sworn position in the sense of patrol I suppose and working in a jail. As a gateway to other federal jobs, I suppose it wouldn't be so bad in that sense of mind, I am in the age bracket still.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, I had considered CBP but no way in hell would my wife move any further south, she hates the heat where we live as it is. I'm unfamiliar with what an OFO is though. I had heard though that New England stations were hard fought for on the agent side and given to senior guys given what the southern border is like now. One look at all their incentives for the southern stations tells me all I need to know. Maybe in another life, I'm sure it would be fun. As for corrections, it seems better than most correctional gigs, I will keep it in mind. I would like to stay with patrol though. Would be hard leaving a sworn position in the sense of patrol I suppose and working in a jail. As a gateway to other federal jobs, I suppose it wouldn't be so bad in that sense of mind, I am in the age bracket still.
OFO is the Office of Field Operations within CBP. OFO officers (commonly just called CBP officers, which is correct but less precise) are the ones in dark blue uniforms who check your passport when you come into the US. They work at land ports of entry, international airports, and seaports, in addition to some other locations (they have overseas postings, and they work at some shipping facilities that receive international packages).

In my opinion, the BOP job would be an improvement over patrol work only if you wanted into the federal system to jump to a better job later.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not sure if this is something that interests you to not, but the Maine Game Wardens look like a very interesting job. Got to chatting with a Warden while on vacation in Maine a few years ago, and the job sounds pretty similar to MA Environmental Police, but with the added duty of providing backup to cities/towns. So you could be enforcing hunting laws in the morning, backing up a Deputy Sheriff at a domestic in the afternoon, and helping with a search and rescue the next day.
A lot of the more rural parts of Maine are covered by Sheriffs, with local PDs being part time if at all.
Maine State Police hire often, I don’t know much about the agency but it’s worth looking into.
Portland is by far the biggest city in Maine, the few PPD guys I’ve met have been good guys, but it’s an anti-Police city at baseline, no where I’d want to work

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've spoken to a few northern cops about PPD, seems like a place I would stay far away from. I had considered Game Warden, however the thought of being alone in the woods dealing with mainly armed hunters with hardly any backup when SHTF? In a Maine winter too? I would rather stick to being a city kitty, not afraid to admit I like backup lol

·
Registered
765 Posts
Not sure if this is something that interests you to not, but the Maine Game Wardens look like a very interesting job. Got to chatting with a Warden while on vacation in Maine a few years ago, and the job sounds pretty similar to MA Environmental Police, but with the added duty of providing backup to cities/towns. So you could be enforcing hunting laws in the morning, backing up a Deputy Sheriff at a domestic in the afternoon, and helping with a search and rescue the next day.
A lot of the more rural parts of Maine are covered by Sheriffs, with local PDs being part time if at all.
Maine State Police hire often, I don’t know much about the agency but it’s worth looking into.
Portland is by far the biggest city in Maine, the few PPD guys I’ve met have been good guys, but it’s an anti-Police city at baseline, no where I’d want to work
And they have a show on Animal Planet (My granddog watches it)

·
Registered
566 Posts
The Maine Warden Service has the most LOD deaths of any agency in Maine, although most of them are non-assaultive (drowning, airplane/helicopter crashes, premature explosions while blowing beaver dams, etc.).

·
Registered
669 Posts
Isn’t NH State Police hiring right now or about to be hiring soon? Could look into that. Maine State Police is pretty much always hiring, Rhode Island State Police has an open portal right now, but it’s for a 2024 academy for some reason.

As for individual towns up in NH and Maine, I’m not tapped into the community enough up there to know. I know a lot of town openings in Massachusetts, but you said you wouldn’t be interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maine won't accept tattoos without wearing class A long sleeves year-round to my knowledge (did that for a while before my agency allowed me to show visible, was miserable!), but regardless I'm not interested in being a trooper anyway. Something about working multiple counties with little backup available isn't appealing to me after having kids at least. Not afraid to admit I like being a city kitty with backup for when SHFT. I know parts of Rhode Island are nice, but I would not live or work there. And on a side note, I have no clue why anyone would want to look like they patrol in the 1800s with their SP uniforms. And Mass? Yeah... right lol all those far-left states that treated cops the worst during the riots and covid? I hate it for the good cops still in those states but no thanks.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Maine won't accept tattoos without wearing class A long sleeves year-round to my knowledge (did that for a while before my agency allowed me to show visible, was miserable!), but regardless I'm not interested in being a trooper anyway. Something about working multiple counties with little backup available isn't appealing to me after having kids at least. Not afraid to admit I like being a city kitty with backup for when SHFT. I know parts of Rhode Island are nice, but I would not live or work there. And on a side note, I have no clue why anyone would want to look like they patrol in the 1800s with their SP uniforms. And Mass? Yeah... right lol all those far-left states that treated cops the worst during the riots and covid? I hate it for the good cops still in those states but no thanks.
Well Mass is the hardest to get on to out of any of those states.. not as hard as it once was, but still hard.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The fact that you used the term “city kitty” tells me there’s about a 99.9% chance that you’re not even a cop to begin with.

Those kind of “cute”, cringe-worthy sayings are rightfully relegated to fiction novels, TV shows, movies, and talk among wanna-be whackers.

I’m embarrassed FOR you,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fact that you used the term “city kitty” tells me there’s about a 99.9% chance that you’re not even a cop to begin with.

Those kind of “cute”, cringe-worthy sayings are rightfully relegated to fiction novels, TV shows, movies, and talk among wanna-be whackers.

I’m embarrassed FOR you,
Um, ok? If you're not going to put anything of value into the thread, please stay out of it. Wanna PM me and see my I.D.? Would that suffice for you? It's a term I've heard hundreds of times. Maybe it's not used where you're from IDK. Regardless of comment on worthwhile relevant info, I'm looking for advice, not an argument with a stranger on the internet on whether or not I'm actually a cop. I've had several PM me and give me some good advice. Got any to share?

·
Registered
105 Posts
“And Mass? Yeah... right lol all those far-left states that treated cops the worst during the riots and covid? I hate it for the good cops still in those states but no thanks.”

Your whole topic is New England agencies. You realize all of New England is a blue/leftist mindset right? Some places better than other, but the entirety of the region has a mostly paraell mindset.

I wouldn’t be to picky if your looking for New England law enforcement. Your very dismissive of recommendations given here. If you want to be a “ city kitty” then there are a Plethora of options with quite a few of them screaming “ APPLY HERE”.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
246 Posts
If you're looking to avoid MA, there aren't any cities which will ever guarantee you backup. Here in Maine, anywhere outside of Portland faces a situation without backup at least once every few months. I honestly cant figure why people are so afraid of not having backup. Yea, its harder, but if you're in shape, and use your training, you'll be fine. Like I said, even Saco, Scarborough and the rest can have their 4 units all tied up on separate calls. Being a trooper means you'll get the best training in the state, and should be able to take care of all situations for the most part. You'll find maine to be very Red in the stix, which is most of the state. However, keep in mind that we do have a democrat governor.

·
Subscribing Member
3,558 Posts
I honestly cant figure why people are so afraid of not having backup. Yea, its harder, but if you're in shape, and use your training, you'll be fine. Being a trooper means you'll get the best training in the state, and should be able to take care of all situations for the most part. .
Please tell me you're only kidding about these statements.

·
Super Moderator
6,770 Posts
Clothing Watch Sharing Hat Gesture

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
246 Posts
No, thats total bullshit lol, just the recruiting nonsense. In all honesty, when you dont have the backup needed for situations, which ends up happening with some degree of frequency, officer time has to step in and solve the problem. Either that or you do the best you can. I can remember being scared shitless when I first got sent to a domestic at a well known fella with guns. We have a great community out here because all of the agencies are always backing each other up.🎣

1 - 20 of 23 Posts