Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I had a question about why a lot of the cape/island towns hire summer officers. Is it due to a low level of full-timers compared to tourists? It just doesn't seem like there would be that much to prevent, especially in the wealthier towns. I guess it seems like the cape towns are mostly wealthy, and that there wouldn't be a need for more officers? Not that I think that wealthy areas don't have crime, but the image of the cape towns and the age of the people who live there seem to convey an image of perfectness.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I should've rephrased the question, I am more interested as to what goes on in the islands ( Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket ). It seems like there wouldn't be any action, I know that isn't true. I was just wondering as to the level of "action" you would see down there.

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Hello, I had a question about why a lot of the cape/island towns hire summer officers. Is it due to a low level of full-timers compared to tourists? It just doesn't seem like there would be that much to prevent, especially in the wealthier towns. I guess it seems like the cape towns are mostly wealthy, and that there wouldn't be a need for more officers? Not that I think that wealthy areas don't have crime, but the image of the cape towns and the age of the people who live there seem to convey an image of perfectness.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Pha.....do what southside said. Been to the cape lately? No, but in all seriousness, there is quite a bit of 'activity' down the cape year round.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have ya been to the cape and island during the summer. Just in extra traffic they could all hire 3x their depts. without even needing them to respond to calls

·
At your six
209 Posts
I worked in Nantucket 95, 96, and 97 and I can't remember one night that I was bored. There was plenty of crime on the island,,, fights, 94c, more drunks than you could count, and a TON of people. Working down there was a great experience that I will never forget. I can't count how many times I think back of my work experiences from the island at my full time PD job now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nantucket is not all wealthy. There are some really WEIRD people living there known as "coneheads" due to their families living on an island for centuries and the inevitable inbreeding. Big heroin problem, and one of the highest per capita alcoholism rate in the state. I worked there several years ago and I am not up do date on what it's like there now, but good friends of mine still work there and a busy summer night on Nantucket is still call to call to call nonstop until 3 am. It's funny how even someone interested in this career is so quick to judge the necessity of extra help during a time of 10 times the normal calls for service. Also, most depts with summer cops use the job as a way to develop a hiring pool of potential full time candidates.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I apologize to those who are getting aggravated at my question. I have never been to the islands and hoped that the people of this great forum would have some input. I do not beleive it is right to make such remarks as to why somebody interested in this career can be so quick to judge. I wasn't judging, simply stating the IMAGE of the islands/cape. I know thats not what it is like, and simply wanted to know how it was down there. Once again, I apologize to those who seem to think that asking for information to better understand the different areas of the state and the level of 'activity' in these areas is wrong.

G

·
The Cape has quite a bit of drug activity, just like us out here. You'd be surprised. Call Yarmouth PD and ask Chuck (detetives desk) he'll tell ya all about it.
:D

·
Registered
456 Posts
NACop";p="61851 said:
The Cape has quite a bit of drug activity, just like us out here. You'd be surprised. Call Yarmouth PD and ask Chuck (detetives desk) he'll tell ya all about it.
:D
Amen to this comment. For example, lots of wealthy celebs own property on the Islands and they really like to "party"! The late John Belushi was a next door neighbor to an old college associate (principle member of Sha-Na-Na) who mentioned something about the wild times on the Cape (Nantucket, IIRC) the last time I talked to him (~25 yrs ago). On that same trip to Nantucket we spotted a twice-convicted embezzler that we knew . . . he was the owner of the restaurant we were eating in. While chatting with him, he told us he was opening another restaurant in Hawaii. Although I don't have any hard facts, my educated guess was that there was good reason why he chose to own restaurants! :twisted:

So, yup the Cape and Islands are not just what you see on the glossy brochures published by the Chamber of Commerce! In the Summer, the population explodes in these resort areas and thus the "need for services" goes thru the roof, whereas it is quieter (NOT crime-free) the rest of the year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
well if you check certain town statistics for the vinyard and the cape there is some action actually,the spo position isn't to bads if your just getting into it for the experience i actually applied at a town for the summer down at the vinyard,i checked there statistics there was not alot of action going on through out the year if my memory serves me right there was about 8 domestic calls all year,they staff about 3 officers the chief, 2 patrolman, and there in the process of hiring 2 spo's for the summer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You'll do more work on the cape during summer then a lot of MA towns do year round: stabbings, glass hats, fights, drugs, guns, you name it...just gotta pick the right town! You wouldn't know because only 1% of it actually makes a big paper.

NBPD,

Aquinnah? Watch out for the deer!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great question, Look at other areas of the Cape for example Provincetown police hire for the summer. you get there and you work. I worked there the summer of 82 and I am still laughing. It was a great job, the start of my law enforcement career. Like I told my good friend who is still working there fulltime as a big boss one night at 3:00am on the beach with the moonlight shining that if he ever told anyone I walked the beach with him arm and arm I would kill him.......The other side of the picture I think we arrested 10 sweet hearts for unnatural acts and sexual deviance then went to court and I made overtime. It was absolutely a learning experience. LEt me tell you this also if you go and are hired and you go to a fight in one of those "girl" bars you better be aware of one thing those girls can fight. Now if you thinking what I think your thinking your wrong as long as your not scratching my knee cap I could care less what your into, if you got feathers in your shoes that's your business not mine. I am not lying you will see things in that town that today I still get a good laugh over.

·
Registered
102 Posts
HAHA ya ill be watching out for there deer if i get the position,it was the only town that for this summer that i saw that you didn't need experience and they would send you off to there academy down on the island.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.