Reading Reserve/Intermittent Academy | MassCops

Reading Reserve/Intermittent Academy

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by yankeessux5, Jun 30, 2008.

1. yankeessux5

yankeessux5 MassCops Member

Hey all,

I am currently an auxiliary in a town north of Boston, and I'm looking to take the next step and attend a r/i academy. The closest one is Reading and on the mass.gov website Reading states they run an academy from 8:30am-3:00pm from September 8th - Feb 2nd. Does anyone know what days the academy meets, seems like a pretty long academy for a r/i to fun from Sept to Feb.

2. DodgeRam

DodgeRam New Member

Depending on the academy they can do the bare 120 hours, OR as many hours as they want. Back in the day when I went to the RI academy it was 6 months, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-10 P and Sat 8-4..

3. 5-0

5-0 Guest

That doesn't sound like an R/I academy to me. Most of them run at night. I could be wrong though...

4. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Reading runs for 18 weeks IIRC.

Saturdays from 0830 to 1500 (6 hours a day with a 1/2 hour lunch break), with evening classes (I forget what time - maybe 1830 to 2130 on Tuesdays and Thursdays) one week a month for two months.

First Responder runs at the same time on Wednesdays. You might want to check your dates - I've never heard of them starting a Reserve Academy on a Monday.

5. NPD108

NPD108 MassCops Member

I am just finishing the Reading R/I academy next week, and it was 22 saturdays 8:30-3(ish).

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions.

6. yankeessux5

Thanks for the info guys. I'm starting the Reading Academy on the 14th

7. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Is Sgt. Lebel still in charge of the R/I Academy in Reading...

8. abomb60

abomb60 New Member

The latest reading academy started on the 13th of September and runs until the 14th of february. Time are 0830 to 1500.

9. bowski_77

bowski_77 MassCops Member

was wondering if anybody had any info on the next/latest reading r/i academy and what i have to do to get into that academy....thanks

10. DANIPD

DANIPD Subscribing Member

Are they moved into the new state of the art training facility yet?

11. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

I just finished up the Reading R/I Academy on 2/14. I believe one of the instructors mentioned that a new class would be coming in immediately after we were done so I'm guessing the next one starts 2/21/09.

12. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

How did you like it??

13. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. We had a great group of instructors that really made sure everyone knew what they were doing. I highly recommend it to anyone out there who can get sponsored.

14. bowski_77

bowski_77 MassCops Member

what are the steps that i have to take to get into the r/i academy??

15. RookiePO

RookiePO MassCops Member

Sbck08 Did you get sponsored or sent by a department? Also do you know if the next class will start on 2/21/09 for sure? Is it to late for me to try to get sponsor by a department?

16. yankeessux5

I know they are filling an academy to start very soon. Go on the the mptc website and call Larry Norman to find out if you can still get in. I just graduated on the 14th and I highly recommend this academy.

17. DeputyFife

DeputyFife Subscribing Member

"Ladies....Gentlemen...It's Showtime!"