Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least three full-time Randolph police officers have been laid off due to budget cuts.
In solidarity the Randolph Auxiliary police department voted to support the full time officers and have ceased all auxiliary traffic and patrol duties immmediately.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
As a former Auxiliary Police Officer (not Randolph) I have to admit this is just stupid! OK so let me get this straight: the state cut local aid which subsequently resulted in Randolph having to lay off a few POs. So now the auxiliaries are refusing to meet their patrol obligations because of solidarity to the PD? Unless I'm mistaken off the Officers who got laid off got pink slips according to seniority, their union contract, and Civil Service law, which is exactly how its supposed to happen. So where is the grievance or wrong doing by the employer which would result in a work stoppage? All and all I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see this back-fire in the APO's faces later down the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its called unfair labor practice. You can not have aux. officers working for free with laid off full time officers. The patrolmans union would file a grievance in a heartbeat. Sounds to me that the randolph aux. unit just wanted to make it sound like they were taking a stand or showing support, when in reality they wouldnt have been allowed to work anyway.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Yes I agree,
It's a play on Words..........
Randolph Auxiliary cannot work while so much as one (1) full-time regular has been laid off.

Nice gesture though

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Same thing happened in Abington. Four officers were layed off and all the specials are now done. You cannot have volunteers work for free when you have FT officers layed off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK guys it sounds like everyone has a valid point. The union would without a doubt file a greivence if they the Auxies continued but from what I have heard many of the Aux guys belong to unions themselves and felt it only right to support the laid off regulars. In my opinion they did the right thing despite the politics behind it.

·
8,659 Posts
michaelbos said:
It's the thought that counts lads.
Hey Michael,
When Spirio lost out, why didn't you guys all resign in protest (sorry couldn't resist)
:lol:

God bless the "fightin 3-11"
:wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a personal friend who is on the Randolph Auxiliary and they voted to support the 3 laid off officers by not doing any patrols, traffic, etc. They (the auxies) feel that they need to show support for the full-time force.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, for the last time.....vote or no vote it wouldn't matter!!. You can't have aux. patrols(for free) with full timers laid off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its unfair labor practice! They may have voted to cease patrols and traffic, but that was a mere formality. Like I said in my previous post, it sounds like they just wanted to make it look like they were doing a noble act. The reality of it is, vote or no vote they wouldn't have been working!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok dude.. point taken... you don't have to yell about it....

They're doing what they would "have" to do anyway... but they did it without anyone telling them to... regardless of the correct fact you have brought up... it still seems to me that they were only attempting to show their support... cut em some slack... IMO

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks like the Auxies supported the regulars, nothing wrong with that. I agree with mv577 cut em some slack.

·
Registered
140 Posts
:?: question, if an aux officer has been doing a job since day one (i.e. church traffic) how does that constitute an unfair labor practice if they continue performing that duty? They're not replacing a laid off officer, just continuing their normal duties. Something's not clicking here for me. I could understand if they were replacing the officer in the cruiser on a patrol route.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
My unit also did this. We are just doing our montly meetings and our office is still open and we are only doing road races and parades that we had in the works prior to. and also our weekly church crossing for the one church we do if ro every week on Sunday nights.

It was just a nice thing for us to do so they don't all hate us in the long run. Trust me I'm trying to get on the job full time and all i need is one of the regulars being pissed at me if i ever get a chance to get on in somerville.

Scott :pc:

P.S. The day the pink slips went out i talked to 3 of the guys who got them and they were very thankful of what we were doing.

G

·
Auxiliary Police

I wish the Haverhill Auxiliary would stop doing traffic details and do real police work like Randolph Auxiliary

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
This really cracks me up!! Do you think the Randolph full time police would do the same if the Auxiliary Police where disbanded A BIG NOT!!!!!

·
8,659 Posts
Ahhhhh.................
Calm down dude! Really Who gives a flying "F" ?
:shock:

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble but Randolph doesnt do anything either except traffic duty and drive around on the weekends. Not to bad mouth them, they gave me my start but I never made a traffic stop or did any law enf. Its a good place to start but you are not allowed to do anything although that does depend on the SGT that is on. Even if they did work, what was gonna happen were they gonna respond to calls traffic duty. I think not, I do agree with thier work stoppage on thier own, it shows support and will better the relationship between the Auxies and regs. God knows it wasnt good when I was there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts