Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Subscribing Member
225 Posts
McCulley moved the device from beneath the rail and placed it in a nearby farm field so a backlog of freight trains could continue along the east-west route.

Dumbass.

· Retired Fed, Active Special
8,898 Posts
Way to preserve a crime scene Skippy!!!!

· Subscribing Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A railroad back log is not a big deal. It happens everyday for more mundane reasons like a tree across the tracks,locomotive problems,late trains etc etc. Back the train up,secure the perimeter and let the people with the training and equipment handle it. I dont get paid enough to "pick up a bomb" and "transport it safely". Not only is it stupid and dangerous.......your also disturbing a crime scene. And always assume the same whack job is sitting in the field with a remote trigger. I doubt this person had it out for the railroad---first responders come to mind.

· Registered
83 Posts
Remote trigger? Do you have reading comprehension difficulties or are you just overly dramatic? The pipe bomb had a visible fuse which had been lit but extinguished prior to detonating. The head law enforcement official on the scene determined he could safely move the device and did so (without incident might I add). How familiar was the sheriff with explosive devices? Did he used to work in a mine or a quarry? If you're worried about the crime scene take note the device was detonated in the field, as in blown up. The sheriff preserved the scene where the device was planted and minimized the disruption to the railroad which apparently was the motive of the suspect all along. Calling some officer's actions "stupid" when you have a fraction of the information you need to properly assess the situation is "stupid".

· Subscribing Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remote trigger? Do you have reading comprehension difficulties or are you just overly dramatic? The pipe bomb had a visible fuse which had been lit but extinguished prior to detonating. The head law enforcement official on the scene determined he could safely move the device and did so (without incident might I add). How familiar was the sheriff with explosive devices? Did he used to work in a mine or a quarry? If your worried about the crime scene take note the device was detonated in the field, as in blown up. The sheriff preserved the scene where the device was planted and minimized the disruption to the railroad which apparently was the motive of the suspect all along. Calling some officer's actions "stupid" when you have a fraction of the information you need to properly assess the situation is "stupid".
Whats to say that "burnt out" fuse wasnt just a ploy to get a dumbass to go "Oh the fuse is burnt out" pick it up and have a mercury or pressure switch set it off. How do you know that wasnt a decoy for a bigger bomb somewhere else hidden like under the railroad ballast? How do you know this kook isnt watching or listening? How do you know there isnt a pressure swtich under or on the path to the tracks? You dont! You cant know just by looking at it! Let the bomb sqaud and thier robots handle it.

Railroads get dissrupted everyday for other reasons......this isnt any different. Commerical profits do not take precidence over life and limb. Go home to your family the same way you left this morning. Geeeesh and you wonder why firefighters call you guys blue canaries. :roll:

· Subscribing Member
225 Posts
Do you have reading comprehension difficulties or are you just overly dramatic?
I want you on my Bomb Squad. You can go in first every time.

The pipe bomb had a visible fuse which had been lit but extinguished prior to detonating.
stm4710 is right. Ever heard of a "come on?" Or a secondary? Don't say it hasn't been done before. Eric Rudolph was just convicted of exactly that, TODAY.

Did he used to work in a mine or a quarry?
Pipe bombs are NOT used in the mining industry. They are anti-personnel / anti-materiel devices.

If your worried about the crime scene take note the device was detonated in the field, as in blown up.
Devices are routinely countercharged by bomb techs for safety. Plenty of evidence is still available from the pieces. Somehow, the device has to be rendered safe prior to the collection of evidence from same. There are less destructive methods than "blowing it up."

Calling some officer's actions "stupid" when you have a fraction of the information you need to properly assess the situation is "stupid".
Wrong. His actions were just plain stupid. I have more than enough information to know that. Apparently the railroad's schedule is more important than his life (or the life of some other innocent bystander / unsuspecting first responder).

On second thought, SPD3, I don't want you on my Bomb Squad.

stm4710, you're welcome anytime.

· Subscribing Member
495 Posts
SPD3";p="62612 said:
Remote trigger? Do you have reading comprehension difficulties or are you just overly dramatic? The pipe bomb had a visible fuse which had been lit but extinguished prior to detonating. The head law enforcement official on the scene determined he could safely move the device and did so (without incident might I add). How familiar was the sheriff with explosive devices? Did he used to work in a mine or a quarry? If your worried about the crime scene take note the device was detonated in the field, as in blown up. The sheriff preserved the scene where the device was planted and minimized the disruption to the railroad which apparently was the motive of the suspect all along. Calling some officer's actions "stupid" when you have a fraction of the information you need to properly assess the situation is "stupid".
Moving even a pipe bomb that looks harmless is still dangerous even if there is NO secondary device. If that pipe bomb is made from "Flash" powder that can be detonated by even the slightest discharge of static from the officers body. I would even go so far as to say using a more "stable" but fine ffff Black Powder may even trigger using static "Depending on the mixture of the powder and its level of oxidizers". I have quite a bit of expirence with these powders so this is speaking from expirence.

Bottom line, unless you (the officer) made the device and know exactly whats in it, leave it alone.

1,950 Posts
SPD3";p="62612 said:
Nope, that was stupid. Out of the short bomb seminars I have been required to go to taught by the Boston Police Bomb Squad and FBI... yea that was plain stupid.

Edit: well, stupid is a little harsh I guess. Let's call it, irrational and not thought out. If I were on the scene, I would tell him to give me 10 min or so to get the hell away from him just as a courtesy :wink:

· Registered
83 Posts
Um, I am not sure I even understand the point you are trying to get across. Where did I use the word "expirence"? Where did I advocate moving explosive devices around? I took offense to people painting some sheriff as a stupid hick after reading a 3 inch byline about an incident that occurred 1100 miles from here. The crux of my argument was that there is not enough information in the article to begin criticizing the officer's decisions and actions.....which interestingly seems to be your criticism of me......maybe. You were an EOD tech....was that sheriff a former instructor at Eglin? You don't know because the information is not provided. Could you clarify your position a little? It would make it easier for me to respond.

· Subscribing Member
1,312 Posts
Dane";p="62393 said:
McCulley moved the device from beneath the rail and placed it in a nearby farm field so a backlog of freight trains could continue along the east-west route.

Dumbass.
mikey742";p="62397 said:
Dane you are right what a dumbass pick up and move a live bomb :shock: great way to make your wife a widow!!
jessekb";p="62430 said:
i know it's been said....but MOVING a bomb??? He should learn from the capital police who wouldn't even touch a suspected bomb! :shock:
stm4710";p="62608 said:
A railroad back log is not a big deal. It happens everyday for more mundane reasons like a tree across the tracks,locomotive problems,late trains etc etc. Back the train up,secure the perimeter and let the people with the training and equipment handle it. I dont get paid enough to "pick up a bomb" and "transport it safely". Not only is it stupid and dangerous.......your also disturbing a crime scene. And always assume the same whack job is sitting in the field with a remote trigger. I doubt this person had it out for the railroad---first responders come to mind.
& all the other people that said it was stupid. Being the fact that I do this for a living only for the military i will comment by saying there are ways that this could have been moved stupidly the decision could be stupid (highly unlikely), but moving it by itself is not stupid or reckless- Its what we bomb techs/EOD folks get paid the extra $150/mo to do. guess what everyone- if there is a danger to property or personnel then the device will be moved. we have a vast arsenal of tools & years of training (& various years of experience) we can utilize to make sure devices are moved & desposed of safely. I can't really comment on the crime scene aspect because mine as always been military- how ever i can say is that you have to first make the the device go bye bye. we also don't know what investigation was done at the scene prior to moving the device either. the safest thing to do is to blow in place using a robot. but moving it and then blowing it is still not the most dangerous way this could have been dealt with. i can't discuss our techniques cause that would be dumb, but in short this is what we do, we stop the devices from functioning its not a safe job.

now if some hillbilly with absolutely no experience in explosive ordnance disposal just walked up and picked it up re-lit the fuse and tossed it in a field well that might not be the best course of actions. but moving a device itself is not stupid.

G

·
My apologies to you SPD I didn't mean to be so harsh it really wasn't my intention. I am a little quick at the tounge sometimes working on getting a little more lax since getting of active duty. I guess like you said none of us where there so how can we all pick it apart. Well i guess it worked out for the sheriff in this case, but just be carefull whenever you see stuff like this guys. This world is so full of whacks now a days who knows what they are capable of these days.

· Subscribing Member
2,273 Posts
In the academy did anyone see the video of the female Canadian police officer who went to go over to move a suspicious package left on a sidewalk. Needless to say she came in peace but left in pieces!!! :NO: :eek:nfire: :innocent:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.