Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our dept has the famous clicking syndrome. that is people dispatching do not hold the mic down long enough for it to transmit. the officers only get a click sound. i know they make devices that beep or have a tone that does not allow you to speak ontill the radio is ready. Any idea on where I can get more info on that????

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
AFAIK It can be added as an option to your radio system, probably on the repeater end. We have the same problem, a 2 to 3 sec delay from the time we key the mic till the repeater kicks in and we cut our selves out most of the time. Over the years we have gotten used to it and wait before talking.

Another option that I can't stand is the "RAT" box, that id's the unit calling. Most of the guys have got lazy with that and just click as a response. So all we hear is the radio transmit a series of tones and then have to look at the "RAT" box to see who it was. Ok so what that a 10-4 or what?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gil
I know exactly what you mean
I fricken hate the clicks, i just ignore the dipatchers when they click. I know you dispatch so it is not a general term, some people still do it the right way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you have to wait 2-3 seconds to speak then you have a technical problem. It should not be that long.

We have officers who sometimes "click" in acknowledgement. It is unacceptable. They will be asked to repeat thensleves until they speak properly. Policies and training can remedy this as well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You can have a pre tone put in the radio and you can't talk till its done toning. For more info on it call Plymouth County Communications and speak with Wayne. He can solve this problem for you! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
What we need is happy medium there are officers and dispatchers that I work with who click on a normal basis. Then you ask them if they have the call and give you attitude, which is unneeded and unprofessional. We also have the other side of the spectrum. There are a few people who put out radio transmissions that are 45 seconds plus all the time. The other night one of them went into a speech durning a B&E while another officer stopped a car that fit the description. The officer on the m/v stop requests another car and the gets stepped on by an officer giving out one of those 45 second speechs about absolutely nothing. So now we have no idea as to the officers location, and we all now how much can happen in those 45 seconds that we had to wait.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Ahh yes the long winded cop.... I know a few of them most of the time rambeling about something no one including dispatch needs to know.

If you like to hear yourself talk (anyone in general) turn your siren over to PA and talk away.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The annoying click.

We are on a repeater in South Hadley so we have to waite for the beep then talk. There are officers and dispatchers every place that click to acknowledge a transmission.

The clicking is not the real problem in my town. The real problem is the total failure of our communications (radio) system, "Can you hear me now?". There have been times when the officers resort to using their cell phones to communicate with dispatch and each other because they or dispatch are not able to receive the transmissions. We switch between our two repeater towers and that does not help. Then there are the old batteries that die before the officer even takes a dinner break. Gotta love it.

Next year we host a major golf tournament that will be nationally televised. I just pray the thing works during the 8 days for the tournament.

·
1,952 Posts
Gil we have I guess that "RAT" box too becuase the police radios have ID numbers in the transmition. It's also used if the emergency button is clicked the number starts to blink. On certain shifts when I dispatch I get a click so I just say "last unit with a message" until they actually respond. I personally don't care if anyone gets pissed at me, if I am one that is part of their safety I want to make sure they are and not in a fight and that's all they can get out. Maybe that's just me though...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scott,

Not just you. One of the main duty of any dispatcher is officer safety. I know of some officers that feel that there safety is there problem. But it is not. And I too will not take a click as a response. After a while they seem to get over being made and start transmitting.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Everyone has 'clickers'!! We have one of those "rat boxes" as well, and it comes in handy sometimes. However, if I do not get a full response, I stay quiet and eventually ask again. Some static and a beep does not satisfy me that the officer is answering... there is one in my department who is notorious, and that officer gets rather frustrated when I make her call in correctly.

And we are also blessed with some of those long-winded talkers... they are right up there with the clickers!

-Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.