Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1,952 Posts
Nick said:
Here's the link to the Northeastern University study of citations issued and their relations to race, age, gender etc.

http://www.boston.com/globe/metro/packages/tickets/northeastern.pdf

There's some interesting figures on there... and confusing ones too. Good luck to those departments and officers that are going to be effected by their high racial disparities. There's gonna be some scrutiny!

No doubt racial profiling does happen, and yes, it is wrong, but I'm willing to bet that most of these disparities are due to problems with the study, not because of intentional racial profiling.

NICK
There will be some unhappy officers it is believed. I am friends with two of the students that worked in the Research office and one of the FT employees who was formerly my TA. I visted when walking through the building and always remember him making those tables at the end of the report. They didn't let me watch any of the video's though. Oooohhh well

·
Subscribing Member
1,615 Posts
Statistics don't lie, Statisticians do...

Remember...my Sh!t detector is color-blind.

Do not judge people by the color of their skin,
judge them by the content of their character. (MLK)

STOP THE VIOLATION, not the violator!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
As the Chief Of Avon pointed out, there are only 4,000 residents in Avon but two major highways pass through it and doubtless the diversity of those many more thousands passing through daily are bound to skew the factors considerably.
:roll:

Harrison Blvd exit from route 24 in Avon alone feeds most commuters onto 24/128 from Brockton and surrounding towns and back again each day. Yeah this study is sooooo scientific!
:shock:

G

·
Figures lie and liars figure. It's just one way of Herr A.G. Reilly of getting his skinny face on TV to hock his brand of justice.

I mean come on, who has the better car and attitude, the soccer mom in a brand new mini van with 2 kids or the 20 year old gangbanger in the beat up Toyota with 2 blunts :smokin: in the ashtray? Who do you thinks is going to get a ticket, :icon_hum: and rightfully so?

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
mpd61 said:
As the Chief Of Avon pointed out, there are only 4,000 residents in Avon but two major highways pass through it and doubtless the diversity of those many more thousands passing through daily are bound to skew the factors considerably.
:roll:

Harrison Blvd exit from route 24 in Avon alone feeds most commuters onto 24/128 from Brockton and surrounding towns and back again each day. Yeah this study is sooooo scientific!
:shock:
Very good MPD61
These brain sugeons never took into account several factors several of which were major highways, neighboring high minority communities, and retail stores who attract neigboring community residents whom drive through these communities. Examples Avon, Braintree, Milton.
I saw Milton got the worst rating of 58% of tickets issued was to minorities, when 15% of residents were minority. Milton is the most cut through neighborhood. Anyone who lives in the southern part of Boston such as Dorchester, Hyde Park, Roslindale, Mattapan and Jamacia Plain has to cut through Milton to get to the south shore communities such a Brockton, Randolph, Quincy, etc.... Milton also has major highways such as 138, 128, 93, 28 where people cut through to get too..

G

·
BHCCPD,

Milton got their balls knocked off in this report but yet they don't do C.90 on 128 or 93. They do those other highways and I see cars routinely pulled over. They do border communities of color on 3 sides basically but they have been notorious in the past for grabbing people for DWB. Anybody that says differently is just putting their head in the sand.

Milton lost a huge chunk of change in the early 80's when some poor slob pulled into a driveway to pick up his daughter for a sleepover. Some busybody called the PD and they basically snatched this guy out of his car & locked him up for no good reason other than the color of his skin.

Alot of people use Milton as a cut through but 58% tickets to 15% population is going to be hard to justify to anybody. Remember, we live in Massachusetts, not Mississippi.

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
I think another thing that is interesting is the numbers of citations written which could make for an interesting discussion.

Example from central ma.

Berlin pop - ~ 2000________cits written - ~1200
Clinton pop - ~10,000______cits written - ~900

Five times the population and 25% less citations. Is this a data error or something else?

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
Masstrooper1, That is a valid point and not one that I had forgotten. I picked these two communities because they're in my area so I am familier with them.

The point is that the data in the report has enough issues with it so that making any conclusions regarding the presense of profiling in many of these communities is darn near impossible.

I would say for the sake of discussion that for size of Clinton (~10,000)and the size of the dept (~25) that even if their daily 2 tickets (that's the average 900/15months) were 100% written to minorities you still couldn't definitively say profiling was present!

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
HousingCop said:
BHCCPD,

Alot of people use Milton as a cut through but 58% tickets to 15% population is going to be hard to justify to anybody. Remember, we live in Massachusetts, not Mississippi.
Your point is taken LOL. Milton PD does need to stop waiting at the Milton Mattapan line for traffic violators and etc.. it just does not look good.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
There was an article in tonight's Salem Evening News, about Swampscott disputing the findings of the Northeastern study. I didn't get to read it yet, but I think it will be along the same lines: a small affluent majority white town, bordered by a larger lower income city, with a large minority population (Lynn), as the causes of the higher rate of minority traffic stops.

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
Racial profiling stats mean NOTHING!! They are just another way for defense attorneys, the ACLU and groups like the NAACP to let criminals go free.

‘Racial profiling’ does not prove that police officers are racists. Are there racist police officers in this country, of course, but what I would like to discuss is that ‘racial profiling’ alone does not make one a racist. ‘Racial Profiling’ occurs when a law enforcement officer detains or initiates any investigative or enforcement action against a citizen based solely on the citizen’s race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economical status or disability. Police agencies use profiling everyday in this country effectively and it has been proven to be a valuable tool and combating crime.

To begin with one of the most important ideas in modern criminology, and one that has revolutionized police practice—the belief that a good way to prevent robberies, murders, and other serious felonies is to go after minor offenses. Thus, when William J. Bratton was chief of the Transit Police in New York City a decade ago, part of his strategy for controlling violence in the subway system was to order his officers to crack down on small infractions—fare beating, panhandling, graffiti, smoking, boisterous behavior. Within two years of the policy's adoption, the number of felonies in the subway declined by more than 30%. This action prevented violent crimes from being committed on the subways and showed that one out of every six fare evaders that were stopped by the New York City Transit Police were either carrying a weapon or were wanted for another crime on an outstanding arrest warrant. It proved that by enforcing laws, which others did not regard as worth worrying about, you could prevent other violent crimes from occurring.

Now how does this same principle apply to drug trafficking on our nations highways? People who violate minor laws are also inclined to violate major laws. Stopping motorists for traffic violations has led to the seizure of major shipments of illegal narcotics as well as the arrests of numerous persons wanted for violent crimes to include murder. The Perry Oklahoma police made a decision to conduct a traffic stop because a vehicle did not have a license plate, which subsequently led to the arrest of Timothy McVeigh for the Oklahoma City bombing.

When I worked in a largely minority neighborhood (95% Black+Haitian), which was known for high crime and drug activity, we as law enforcement would commonly profile white people who came into the area and conduct traffic stops accordingly if a infraction was observed. Subsequently officers would make observations that could possibly lead to the search of the vehicle or person. This was taught and was an excepted practice in ‘racial profiling’ training as well as human diversity training. The problems arouse when the titles were reversed. I cannot remember a single occasion when civil rights leaders, NAACP or the ACLU blasted an agency enforcing ‘Driving while White’ although it does exists.

True, most blacks and Hispanics are law-abiding. But if drug traffickers are disproportionately black or Hispanic, the police don't need to be racist to stop many minority motorists; they simply have to be efficient in targeting potential drug traffickers. It is an unfortunate fact that much higher proportions of black children than white grow up at a social disadvantage and are more tempted to break society's rules. Thus, although blacks are only 12% of the American population, in a recent year they comprised 56% of the arrests for murder, 42% of the arrests for rape, 61% of the arrests for robbery, 39% of the arrests for aggravated assault, 31% of the arrests for burglary, 33% of the arrests for larceny and 40% of the arrests for motor-vehicle theft. Also 46% of state prison inmates—i.e., those actually convicted of crimes—were black (another 17% were Hispanic). (FBI stats, not mine) Why should they not be equally over represented in drug trafficking, which is less easy to measure statistically?

The theory goes back to that of selective enforcement. Police departments are responsible for efficiently policing their area of responsibility. If, a large metropolitan police department were to break down the crimes statistics for narcotic sales within their jurisdiction and statistically were to show that narcotics sales were substantially higher in the low income, largely minority community, than in an more affluent white community, putting aside all the social economics involved, the police department would be negligent to expend their resources for narcotics enforcement in the white neighborhood opposed to the minority
neighborhood. Of course the narcotics unit would make arrests in all communities but the responsibility of the police is to place the largest resources in the areas of the largest demand. Is this considered racism on the part of the police, not in my opinion?

Anti-profilers insist, as in the case of Sen. Robert Torricelli from the state of New Jersey that there is no evidence "that certain ethnic or racial groups disproportionately commit crimes. They do not."
But of course they do. And once a traffic stop is made, any subsequent search of the vehicle is apt to be triggered by behavioral cues such as nervousness and/or conflicting stories on the part of the vehicle's occupants, cues, which may have nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

It’s an awkward fact, but a fact non-the less, albeit it’s tough to find any politicians to say it: Felons are not evenly distributed across society's demographic groups. Many individuals and groups specialize in making accusations of racism, and police become vulnerable to such accusations when they concentrate their efforts where crime is.

If these accusation begin to control policing, only public safety will suffer, especially the safety of minorities who are often forced to live in violent and drug-infested neighborhoods. Those neighborhoods, where the primary complaint against the police many times originate, state that there are not enough police in their neighborhood and that the officers there are too tentative against predators, are normally not the neighborhoods where anti-profiling crusaders live.

We are thus evolving into a system of "racial proportionality" in law enforcement. Rank and file police officers now have a strong incentive to look the other way when minorities might be involved in criminal activity.

Sorry for the long post, but I just completed a research paper on this subject and its aggravating to me and ruining police careers of good, hard working cops because of useless stats like these.

Stay safe and look out for each other!!

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
I think the folks at Northeastern University wasted a lot of time and trees.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can't believe the state would pay a group of people to go through tons of data for research that has as much scientific value as SH$%.

What's next, handing out " If you were offended surveys during traffic stops. It's a shame Law enforcement has come under control of the Ulta Liberals of this county. I have many friends I graduated with who will be affected by this b.s.. and I worry for them and ever single officer in Mass.

Expect lawyers to use this data in traffic, civil and criminal court. Low life lawyers will find someway to get this data into court to help their clients. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
165 Posts
PBC FL cop:

Your post in and of itself is a research paper. All kidding aside, you make some very good points. The bottom line is that we all have to be even-keeled. Find a violation, stop it and see where it leads you. Stay safe and don't get discouraged...someone will always find faults in what we do and how we choose to or are forced to conduct our duties in any given situation.

:D

G

·
Of course, this study doesn't ask the race of the police officer writing the citation, wouldn't that effect the stats?

·
MassCops Member
535 Posts
In Rhode Island, Northeastern University study has decided it needs to do another two year study because they don't have anything to compare there results of the first study to.
Just wait, Massachusetts will be next!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The way that I understood the study was this...and i suck at math so bear with me

If I stop 3 cars in a night and 1 operator was black, then 33% of my stops were on minorities. If I happened to search the black operators vehicle due to the strong aroma of 94C - then I searched 100% of minorities stopped.

Talk about skewed stats - am I correct in this or does someone know something that I don't?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.