R/I Academy Under 21? | MassCops

R/I Academy Under 21?

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by Public Safety, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Public Safety

Public Safety MassCops Member

I have searched through the forums and cannot find an answer. I was wondering if you need an LTC class A prior to attending the Reserve/Intermittent Academy? I am 20 years old and want to attend the academy. I would have a police chief sponsor but would be "self sponsoring" myself in the academy (paying the tuition, getting my own gear, etc.) so I would not be getting a department issued firearm. Would I be able to attend the academy under 21 years old as a "self sponsor"?

2. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I think you can.

3. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Since when is Firearms training not conducted?

4. Public Safety

I recently talked to a Sheriffs Deputy and he said that firearms training was part of the Reserve academy, in Plymouth at least. Does anybody have clarification on this?

5. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

I went to the R/I academy in Springfield back in 2006 and they weren't offering it then.

6. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Hmm Maybe it depends on the academy? I know Plymouth does.

7. Public Safety

Would I not be able to attend this academy if firearms training is included and I cannot obtain a LTC due to being 20 years old?

8. zm88

zm88 MassCops Member

I'm surprised that it wouldn't be covered. Use of deadly force, proper firearms retention, is that covered?

9. Big.G

Big.G In Tactical Mode....

Recruit Officer Transport of Firearms Policy

And yes, as part of the new 242 hour R/I curriculum that took effect last September, firearms training is optional.

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

This is included in the DT curriculum and has been for a while, at least at the Western MA academy when I went through under the old 120 hour curriculum.

10. wb08

wb08 MassCops Member

Yes, I was 20 when I attended the R/I academy last year. Reading did not offer firearms. I know Plymouth does, which you do not need an LTC for if you can find a classmate that will let you use their weapon.

11. Public Safety

Great thanks, that's exactly what I want to know.

12. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

There is a new optional 20 hour firearms course they are now offering for the R/I Academy that is not required to graduate . I am not sure if every academy is offering it but Boylston is one of them. There course is this weekend and also I believe there is at least 2 or 3 people that are under 21 in the current class.

13. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

I'm signed up for the January Boylston class. I'm scheduled for a hearing for my non-resident LTC on Jan 24. HOPEFULLY, I'll have my LTC by the time firearms training comes up as I plan to take it if I can.

14. Public Safety

How long does it take to get your LTC after the hearing? Couple months or longer?

15. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

I'm told on average 4 to 8 weeks, but that sometimes it's longer. I suppose if I needed to, I could ask my sponsoring chief if she could prod the firearms unit to move along so that I'll be able to do the firearms training if it takes place before I had my LTC in hand.

16. mastert212

mastert212 New Member

I had the same question when I attended the RI academy. I was 20 years old and obviously did not have an LTC. There is an additional firearms course (additional $), I took it because my friend let me borrowed his gun (he gave it to the instructor to keep while I was in training).Goodluck.