Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the quinn bill apply to the DOC? if not is there any sort of educational incentive program that they have?

thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jnamc,
There is no Quinn Bill. There is a education incentive of:
Associate's degree $1,500, yr.
Bachelor's degree $2,000, yr.
Master's Degree $2,500, yr.

All broken down in to the bi weekly pay checks.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
GK - isnt there also State School tuition remission for DOC employees?
Whereby you can attend any state college for free?
If so, thats pretty sweet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kozmo I wish it was for free. We and spousals get half off for any Commonwealth of Mass Community or State college.

It should also include children, the bigger benefit for many, but it doesn't.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Gate,

We are still getting the tuition remission, but we lost the tuition reimbursement in our last contract for all new hires. Do you guys still have this, or was it lost as well? The state seems to be trying to do away with a few things including reimbursement and holidays.
When you look at what we get (same educational incentives) it doesn't even come close to what some cops are pulling in for the Quinn Bill. The Quinn Bill is a joke anyways. They say the original intent of the Quinn Bill was to encourage officers to seek higher education, yet you can graduate from the 2nd highest rated criminal justice school in the country, and not receive the benefit, because the program was out of state. Perosnally, I see the Quinn Bill as a scam to put money in to the state's educational institutions funds. If the state was really interested in recruiting and retaining educated officers, they'd be looking at the quality of the program first, not the geography.

·
1,334 Posts
PearlOnyx";p="66934 said:
They say the original intent of the Quinn Bill was to encourage officers to seek higher education, yet you can graduate from the 2nd highest rated criminal justice school in the country, and not receive the benefit, because the program was out of state.
Glad to see the DOC recognizes and gives some type of tuition incentive to their officers.

To expand on the origional intent a bit, the Quinn Bill was to encourage officers to seek higher education and broaden their knowledge. It included disciplines such as psychology, sociology, etc. Over time it got watered down to basically criminal justice/law enforcement degrees. Maybe it is time to allow some of the other areas of study be considered again seeing they are also beneficial to those at all levels in the criminal justice profession. For a state that is so concerned with education and has so many schools and colleges, you think they would get the legislation right and not write it with such a closed minded approach.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pearl,

Had to go to the contract for this one.

It's for tuition remission (50%) for going to a state college in this state. It doesn't include the M.D. program at the University of Mass Medical School. If I didn't answer your question, let me know and I'll look into it, ask around.

As far as the contract, we are still fighting the state so GOD only knows what they want back. Although I haven't heard of them going after this.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Gate,

We have the Remission for State Schools as well. Some of us hired prior to 2001, also have reimbursement, which is $1000 per year, in lieu of the Remission, for non-state schools. I go to an out of school state, so I can't get remission, and I was hired in 2001, so I don't get the reimbursement either. I.E., I'm screwed =)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tough break Pearl,

Sounded like a very good benny at its time; to pick and choose where you want to go instead of only being offered a few.

We haven't had that benny (reimbursement) in the time I've been w/ the DOC (7yrs). Not sure if we even had it, most likely not. So that would be something the union never gave up in contract negotiations because we never had it.

We're still trying for the kids. Do you folks have that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.