Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone out there knows if a bachelors degree from Umass Amherst in Sociology with a concentration in CJ qualifies for the quinn bill. The Quinn Bill webpage ( http://www.osfa.mass.edu/quinnbill/approved_schools.htm ) lists umass amherst as a college IF Students already enrolled (prior to January 1, 2004) in a program

Curious if anyone has applied successfully for quinn with BS in Sociology w/concentration in CJ...b/c thats the closest thing umass amherst has to a CJ major...

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't know the answer to that Road... I am also interested in the answer to that as I have that degree, but i haven't really looked into it yet. Figure I'll get to that when it comes up. I sure hope it does qualify.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
RoadDog,

If you are already a police officer and were enrolled in the program before January 2004 you'll be fine w/ UMass Amherst see the below quote from MGL Chp 41 Sec. 48:

police officers enrolled, prior to implementation of the quality guidelines, in degree granting programs in order to receive career incentive base salary adjustments shall, upon attainment of said degree, be eligible for certification by the board of higher education to receive career incentive base salary increases

If you are not a police officer and you were just a student you are SOL.

Crazy-Irish,
The reason why UMass Boston and Lowell are OK and UMass Amherst is not is because their programs are actual Criminal Justice programs (not a Sociology major w/a Concentration or minor in CJ).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Irishpride";p="63512 said:
RoadDog,

If you are not a police officer and you were just a student you are SOL.
That really puts a damper on things, especially about 3 weeks away from graduation. Oh well, time to go on for a Masters then. :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Irish Pride,

Are you 100% positive? Have you heard this direct? I ask because a couple people have told me that if you were enrolled prior to that date, or have received your diploma prior to that date, but are not yet a police officer, and you become one..you are still good to go...and will qualify for the 20%.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
RoadDog32";p="63671 said:
Irish Pride,

Are you 100% positive?. Have you heard this direct? .
What I posted is what I was told from the good folks at OFSA as well as the CJ department head at the school I go to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts