Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Quinn Bill apply to Campus PD's? or to Town Specials?
Just Curious...
Thanks everyone.. and Happy Holidays...
-PVD24

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
As far as I know it, Chapter 41 Section 108L I believe (QUinn Bill) only pertains to municipalities and the MSP have it also. Other departments cannot join without an act of legislation being passed(i.e Environmental PD is trying to get it, i know they had a bill in the house and I believe Boston Housing was trying or trying to get Group 4 retirement).

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
As a Campus Police Officer I can tell you that I'm not aware of any school that has it..I think a few of the private school's may give additional pay for a degree....but no offical bill.......back over the summer I had heard that some Sgt from Salem State wanted to create a AFSCME group 3 just for public safety so we would could push for the Quinn Bill..a higher detail rate..etc...Haven't heard anything since then...so who knows...

G

·
Housing PD has Group 4 retirement presently. One of the very few benefits we have working here by the way. We got it through the Boston Retirement Board that agreed with us that if it looks and walks and quacks like a duck, it usually is.

Of course BHA management tried to squash it there and at the Contributory Retirement Assistance Board (CRAB) and at the Administrative Law judge, all of whom voted in our favor. Now they want a 4th decision on it in front of 1 SJC Justice.

Funny thing is that on the last page of our present contract (2 1/2 years without one presently) it states that BHA supports out efforts LEGISLATIVELY to get Group 4. They were mad we got around it instead of having to make a piece of legislation which usually gets lumped in with the Fire Dept mechanics and the dog officers who want Group 4 as well. :sb:

·
1,952 Posts
I would think that no college would ever give because it would loose too much money. Most allow employees to go for free, so if the officers aren't paying for education and then compensated for the free degree, that's great for the PO but the school is out about a HUGE chunk of change.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
We are trying to get it at Emerson but the school has said several times "We do not think education is important enough pay the officers extra".

How Ironic

G

·
Union1,

Typical college administration response. They like to save the big money for themselves and give the little guy on the bottom nothing for their years of service and hard work.

I guess they don't want the cops on campus to be so-called "Smarter" than the pinheads they protect. I'd love to give you advice on this subject but it may be too coarse & crass for some members or moderators of the board so PM me if you want my response to your administrations dumb-ass answer they gave you.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Quinn Bill for Campus P.D.'s???????????
:L: :L: :L: :L: :L: :L:
No way in this lifetime!
:shock:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Like mikemac64 said: "Use rational thinking"

Why would it apply to College PD's? It's not a Town or state Job, it's working for a school. At most Colleges you can get a degree for free or pretty close to it, that alone could be worth a few years of salary. I could deal with that over a slight "bump" in pay

Now Mall Security, those guys should get the Quinn bill... I mean, look at all those kids messin' around the escalators and the directions they gotta give for Bambi to find her Boutique... I'm joking of course...

·
8,658 Posts
RPD931 said:
Like mikemac64 said: "Use rational thinking"

Why would it apply to College PD's? It's not a Town or state Job
Bridgewater State
Salem State
Mass College of Art
Mass College of Liberal Arts (Old North Adams State)

University Of Massachusetts (Amherst/Boston/Dartmouth/Lowell/Worcester)

Berkshire Community College
Bristol Community College
Bunker Hill Community College
Cape Cod Community College
Greenfield Community College
Holyoke Community College
Massachusetts Bay Community College
Massasoit Community College
Middlesex Community College
Mt. Wachusett Community College
North Shore Community College
Northern Essex Community College
Quinsigamond Community College
Roxbury Community College
Springfield Technical Community College

Thats twenty-four (24) STATE entities. Granted they don't all have police dept.'s, but at least it is a "rational" and factual statement.
:wl:

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
25. Fitchburg State College
26. Framingham State College
27. MA Maritime Academy
28. Westfield State College
29. Worcester State College

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
and while talking about state agencies..how about

30. Massport Police
31. Dept of Public Health Police
32. Dept of Mental Health Police

·
8,658 Posts
Well............

The last four are not College P.D.s with state employees,
but hell, don't leave out DMR, Soldiers Home, etc.

Bottom line as H5O pointed out is that currently, Quinn applies to Municipal
and MSP (MBTA?) NOT any Campus Cops!!!!!

Hugs and Kisses all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.