·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through store window, officer sees man and clerk in scuffle

The Patriot Ledger
Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 05:20 AM

QUINCY -
Quick action by a city police officer thwarted the attempted robbery of a convenience store.
Officer Bruce Trieu was walking his beat shortly before 5 p.m. Monday when he looked through the window of Brennan's convenience store at 1442 Hancock St. and saw a man holding a store employee by the collar of his shirt, trying to pull him over the counter, Quincy police Capt. John Dougan said.
When Trieu entered the store, "the victim yelled, 'He's trying to rob me,''' Dougan said.
Trieu handcuffed and arrested Steven M. Cyr, 46, of 377 Palmer St., Dougan said.
Dougan said Cyr had gone into the store and tried to place a lottery bet, putting his ticket into a machine.
The machine rejected the ticket because it was marked incorrectly, police said.
"When the store employee tried to show him why it did not take, Cyr pushed him back, said, 'Give me the money,' opened the cash drawer and tried to take money from the drawer," Dougan said.
The victim then grabbed the suspect by the hand, and Cyr grabbed the victim by the shirt collar and tried to pull him over the counter, Dougan said.
"The victim tried to fight off the suspect. The victim was throwing punches at the suspect, and striking the suspect in the face," Dougan said.
Cyr was charged with unarmed robbery, Dougan said.

http://www.patriotledger.com/homepa...cts-quickly-to-stop-convenience-store-robbery

G

·
Excellent work by an excellent officer. He has a great first name, also!

Sniper.....you know what I'm going to say; Mister Cyr is well-known to the QPD. :cool:

·
Subscribing Member
927 Posts
A perfect example of why a walking beat will always be a great tool for law enforcement. Would he have seen this had he driven by in a cruiser? Would the scumbag have seen him in the cruiser? Makes you appreciate it all the more.

Great work officer.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
This is an excellent example of an Officer making his own luck by being proactive and alert. Nice work.

G

·
A perfect example of why a walking beat will always be a great tool for law enforcement. Would he have seen this had he driven by in a cruiser? Would the scumbag have seen him in the cruiser? Makes you appreciate it all the more.
Unfortunately, walking beats are going the way of the revolver in law enforcement. When I first started on the QPD, there were three walking beats on the day & evening shifts every single day; now they're only staffed if we have extra bodies.

Walking beats are true community policing without the catch phrases and silly uniforms; my friends and I all knew the beat officer in Quincy Center growing up, he knew us, and we were all terrified of him (which was a good thing).

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Excellent job Officer Trieu.

I know of a few officers that spend a lot of time hanging around some stores talking to people. They get a lot of info on what is going on in the city, but when a supervisor drives by and sees their cruiser parked outside they catch hell on why they aren't driving around patrolling. It's not exactly a walking beat, but a lot of times more is accomplished than just driving around in the cruiser. You would think with gas the way it is, the brass would be more appreciative of it.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Unfortunately, walking beats are going the way of the revolver in law enforcement. .
Yeah Bring them both BACK (Hee Hee)
Good job by Bruce II

1 - 10 of 10 Posts