Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
On paper, I believe that some misdemeanors will make you intelligible, but not all of them.

But, in MA, departments look for pretty clean backgrounds. (I'm not an officer, but this is the impression I get from most officers/posts on this board.)

Research this board, and look at the specific departments you are interested in to see if they can more thoroughly answer your questions.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I think they take every situation on a case by case basis....Be honest about it and up front, and tell them exactly what happen and why it won't effect your career.

Just bare in mind that they have several applicants for the job. So if you can't put a positive spin on it, be prepared to be dissapointed...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Convicted? Might not look too good. There are sooooo many people you will be competing against. CWOF is probably as far as departments are going to go in this employment climate, and it better be when you were a teenager on top of that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know of someone with several juvenile misdemeanors who got on. He spent alot of time doing alot of good things to make up for the mistakes and proving he was a decent citizen. I would have to agree with the case-by-case basis theory. It can't hurt to try, but, don't hold your breath either. Good luck

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
misdemeanors don't count and are not grounds for refusing your application.

go through the process and if you get to the interview stage tell them what happened ( they'll know anyways ) and take it from there.

years ago it wasn't a big deal , but because these jobs are getting scarce there are more applicants than in years past.

good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any convictions for violent misdemeanors or anything involving a domestic will disqualify you from getting a LTC, which is a requirement to be a CO.

·
Always entertained
2,550 Posts
Any convictions for violent misdemeanors or anything involving a domestic will disqualify you from getting a LTC, which is a requirement to be a CO.
drugs and some alcohol related crimes are also a disqualifier for the LTC.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
i stand corrected :cool:

the laws have gotten allot tougher over the years.

think the basic 3 requirements are still the same , HS/GED , driver's license and the ability to obtain a firearms permit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, brand new to the site so bear with me while i get use to it. I was having trouble starting a new thread so i decided to write my post under the thread "question" since i have a question. So i'm applying to a few county correction facilities and was just wondering if you guys could give me a rough estimate of how the next 6 months will play out if i handed in my applications tomorrow. (written tests, interviews, background check, fitness test) I know that this application and hiring process isn't black and white, and there is a lot of unknowns, but just for kicks, anyone know?

·
Registered
40 Posts
First, if your applying for county corrections you might want to post this under the Sheriff's forum. From my understanding this forum is for state corrections, but I could be wrong. In reguards to testing I know Middlesex county just held a test last month and usually test once sometimes twice a year. I'm assuming the other counties are the same. Did you sign up for the Sept DOC exam?

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
drugs and some alcohol related crimes are also a disqualifier for the LTC.
You forgot about the discretion that the CLEO's have for LTCs. You could basically be disqualified for no reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts