Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, does everyon take their cruiser home?

Second, when you have to show up for a shift, do you have to go in and check in or can you radio in and be "on the road".

thanks

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
SOT_II said:
First, does everyon take their cruiser home?

Second, when you have to show up for a shift, do you have to go in and check in or can you radio in and be "on the road".

thanks
Im not a trooper, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

MassPike troopers do not take their cruisers home. They are compensated accordingly.

When I asked the question back in 98 about requiring to be at the station for starting the shift, I was told no. That was 7 years ago.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's the locals that take theirs home?
Like there's a guy living down the street, he must be working 7-3 or whatever because there's always a car at his house during the day.

Curious EMT said:
Im not a trooper, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

MassPike troopers do not take their cruisers home. They are compensated accordingly.

When I asked the question back in 98 about requiring to be at the station for starting the shift, I was told no. That was 7 years ago.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
My shift starts when I leave the driveway. It ends when I pull back into the driveway. My patrol area is well over an hour away from the barracks, and I am required to live inside my patrol area. So, I would say that the last time I made it into the barracks was about a month ago. I usually try to stop in once a month or so to update my computer files and check mail.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
As I understand it for MSP, all of them can take home their cruisers EXCEPT those assigned to Troop E (Mass Pike) or Troop F (Airport/Massport) as those particular vehicles are paid for by the respective agency (Mass Turnpike Auth. or MassPort). I believe Troopers on the pike can drive their assigned vehicles to the barracks or service area closest to their residence and take their POV from there.

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
phuzz01 said:
My shift starts when I leave the driveway. It ends when I pull back into the driveway. My patrol area is well over an hour away from the barracks, and I am required to live inside my patrol area. So, I would say that the last time I made it into the barracks was about a month ago. I usually try to stop in once a month or so to update my computer files and check mail.
So what do you do with those you arrest? Or has it been over a month since you arrested someone?

·
Registered
83 Posts
phuzz01 said:
The desk assignment at the barracks is rotated through the shift personnel so usually once in four shifts you have the desk and must be on the pine at 0700, 1500, or 2300 hours respectively. As far as signing on it is expected that you be in your patrol area at or before the beginning of the shift and that you advise the desk officer if you get tied up en route. Even the lazy layabouts who do nothing have to come in to submit paperwork, including but not limited to reports, citations, and payroll. With the advent of fleet gas cards patrols no longer need to fuel up at the barracks and that did lessen the need to return during any given shift. MSP personnel are required to reside within the state but there is no restriction on living within or near your assigned patrol area, meaning that you could live in North Adams and work down the cape if you so desired.

·
Registered
370 Posts
phuzz01 said:
Phuzz, that's interesting. Who works the desk? Rookies by force, old timers by choice, or civilians?

·
Registered
127 Posts
In VT I have a take home cruiser and I sign on in my driveway. Since I live in my patrol area I can do that, if I didn't live in my patrol area, I would sign on when I reached my patrol area. Sometimes (maybe once a month, if that), on a heavy shift the Sgt. may want to have a quick meeting to discuss issues going on.

I try to go to the Barracks at least once a week to submit reports, etc. I end up there more than that due to arrests and such. We have civilians that man the desk M-F during the day and eves. Overnight and Saturday/Sunday all day, if your lucky a Sgt. will be at the Barracks. If not; there is a intercom at the door that goes directly to dispatch (Troop C HQ) and they will dispatch us to the barracks to assist. We are shorthanded and it makes it difficult to remain at the barracks for any amount of time other than arrest processing. Tonight it is myself and a Sgt. covering the whole area (670+ sq. miles).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know quite a few troopers in Massachusetts that take their cruisers home but before their shift they drive to the Barracks for their little talk about issues going on and then proceed to their shift area.

·
Drunk Bastard
452 Posts
SOT_II said:
...he must be working 7-3 or whatever because there's always a car at his house during the day.
That must be a real joy, having the neighbors keep tabs on your hours. I am rethinking the take-home cruiser "benefit":-k

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Saving money on gas, and wear and tear on your PC is huge benefit....most departments don't have to commute from one side of this state to the other.....and the state gets the benefit of free patrolling...I write at least 2-3 tickets per week on the pike and other roads "off the clock"...

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Killjoy said:
Saving money on gas, and wear and tear on your PC is huge benefit....most departments don't have to commute from one side of this state to the other.....and the state gets the benefit of free patrolling...I write at least 2-3 tickets per week on the pike and other roads "off the clock"...
What if you arrest? In to that troop's baracks? Or your own?

·
1,334 Posts
Killjoy said:
With the amount of fine people of the Commonwealth doing stupid things in their vehicles that certainly presents a good oppurtunity for OT if you have a long commute. :thumbup:

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
everybody is real proud of him, his dad was MSP, he's MSP...and his car being around has made the speeding go down...just sitting in the driveway.

no$.10 said:
That must be a real joy, having the neighbors keep tabs on your hours. I am rethinking the take-home cruiser "benefit":-k

·
Drunk Bastard
452 Posts
It is nice that your neighbors support him, it's just that I have a guy who is a building inspector who has a take home city car. Really nice guy, but one a$$hole neighbor is always spouting off about the car being there "early on Fridays". I guess theres one in every crowd, (eyes rolling). Because of that one a$$, I keep the garage door shut all the time. Some people don't know when to shut up.

Any good comebacks if he says anything again?

BTW, I realize Troopers have to have take home vehicles, 'cuz logistically, it only makes sense.

·
Registered
456 Posts
no$.10 said:
It is nice that your neighbors support him, it's just that I have a guy who is a building inspector who has a take home city car. Really nice guy, but one a$$hole neighbor is always spouting off about the car being there "early on Fridays". I guess theres one in every crowd, (eyes rolling). Because of that one a$$, I keep the garage door shut all the time. Some people don't know when to shut up.

Tell the asshat that the Bldg Inspector is still "on the job" on Fridays, that he's just watching to see if the asshat is doing anything that violates the building code! :beat:

Perhaps that will shut the guy up!

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tell him that while the guy is driving he's looking around and that makes up for the extra hour or two that the car might be home.

no$.10 said:

BTW, I realize Troopers have to have take home vehicles, 'cuz logistically, it only makes sense.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.