Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it illegal for a police officer to give his vehicle to a civilian to drive? Especially if this office is on duty at the time and not with the civilian? Wouldnt this also create an insurance liability? Look forward to responses.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Wait, I gotta get my popcorn for this one! When he lent out his cruiser, was he wearing his hat? If not, then he's in deep trouble.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh of course!!! My department has a raffle every year. The winners get to take a cruiser for 4 hours! Last year an 89 year old grandmother won! She took the Charger out and smoked the tires right off that bad boy!
As a matter of fact, I let her use my hat so any MV stop she encountered, she would look official.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Is it illegal for a police officer to give his vehicle to a civilian to drive? Especially if this office is on duty at the time and not with the civilian? Wouldnt this also create an insurance liability? Look forward to responses.
Not sure about the cruisers.......... but you have my word that it isn't illegal to take the officer's gun and shoot it as long as you're using your head as the target...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just the other night the boys were heading out for some soda's and I wanted to go. So I tossed my keys and hat to a local flagman wanna-be and told him to cruise around so my cruiser would be seen around. Hell, I even let him borrow my throw away gun, the one with the serial numbers filed off.

·
1,952 Posts
Just the other night the boys were heading out for some soda's and I wanted to go. So I tossed my keys and hat to a local flagman wanna-be and told him to cruise around so my cruiser would be seen around. Hell, I even let him borrow my throw away gun, the one with the serial numbers filed off.
We gave one to the flagmen union president and he loved it so they bargained it into the contract that they all must have at least to cruisers at details that they own (yellow lights of course), which also increases the costs of the details....

Now they sit inside them all day and sleep

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This question was a serious one. We are not talking about flagmen. We are talking about an officer who has given his unmarked police cruiser to a friend to drive while he was on duty. From what has been said in town, there is no law that prevents this thus is why I asked the question to see if anyone knew or not. Does anyone have any true insight?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is this a serious question?

In any event, if its not being used as an emergency vehicle its just a car. I was a civilian driving it to the Police Academy and I dont think it was illegal...... Also our civilian mechanic takes them all the time for servicing, do you think no one is allowed to drive the infamous crown vic?

If your asking if an Officer would let someone borrow the car while on duty then that question doesnt deserve an answer, although, Im sure stranger things have happened in the past.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts