Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the MGLs under Ch. 89 S.4A it says "The operators of motorcycles shall not ride abreast of more than one other motorcycle, shall ride single file when passing, and shall not pass any other motor vehicle within the same lane, except another motorcycle."

My question is does that mean a motorcycle can't pass another vehicle (other than a motorcycle) even if normal passing is allowed? If so, is this something that is enforced a lot?

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
alright lets pull this appart line by line
Can not ride next to (abrest) more than one other motorcycle.
Must NOT be side-by-side when passing
Can not pass any car other than a motorcycle IN THE SAME LANE

so, they can ride side by side (no more than 2 next to eachother), when passing any other vehicle they can NOT be side by side, and they can not share a lane with a non-motorcycle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I think I was just misunderstanding that. I was thinking that a motorcycle couldn't pass any other vehicle (ex: car, truck) no matter what but it just can't be done in the same lane. Didn't really make sense.

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
tellyour";p="52485 said:
OK I think I was just misunderstanding that. I was thinking that a motorcycle couldn't pass any other vehicle (ex: car, truck) no matter what but it just can't be done in the same lane. Didn't really make sense.
Not only is it legal, but passing cars is suggested. Always.
MSF, the state-recognized driver's ed for motorcycles suggest to be moving slightly faster than the general flow of traffic for safety reasons.

too bad that wont stick at an appeal hearing :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts