Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: question

The easiest way is to donate lots of money (at least $1K/year) to the Sheriff's campaign fund.

To say that it is highly political would be an understatement.

Seriously many years ago someone suggested that I do just what I stated above to get appointed. Problem is that my ethics don't allow anyone to "own" me and no way that I would "buy the badge" (I was already a Special PO in a small suburban town). [One time I had to threaten to tow the car of a Selectman when she insisted on parking in a "non space" which blocked some 60-70 cars in the High School parking lot. I was working the detail and she gave me crap when I told her she couldn't park there. As she was walking into the school I told her that she won't find the car there when she comes out, I will have it towed . . . she looked at me and said "you're serious, aren't you?" Just because she was one of the police commissioners, I didn't give a damn . . . she was wrong and that was that. I always liked to state that if they didn't like what I did, they didn't have to reappoint me (annual appointment)! I served in that capacity for 18 years, and had a reputation for enforcing the rules. You can't do that if the appointing authority "owns you"!]

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

LenS said:
The easiest way is to donate lots of money (at least $1K/year) to the Sheriff's campaign fund.

To say that it is highly political would be an understatement.

Seriously many years ago someone suggested that I do just what I stated above to get appointed. Problem is that my ethics don't allow anyone to "own" me and no way that I would "buy the badge" (I was already a Special PO in a small suburban town). [One time I had to threaten to tow the car of a Selectman when she insisted on parking in a "non space" which blocked some 60-70 cars in the High School parking lot. I was working the detail and she gave me crap when I told her she couldn't park there. As she was walking into the school I told her that she won't find the car there when she comes out, I will have it towed . . . she looked at me and said "you're serious, aren't you?" Just because she was one of the police commissioners, I didn't give a damn . . . she was wrong and that was that. I always liked to state that if they didn't like what I did, they didn't have to reappoint me (annual appointment)! I served in that capacity for 18 years, and had a reputation for enforcing the rules. You can't do that if the appointing authority "owns you"!]
So where can I send my check? What do I do, put "Appoint Me" in the Memo field? [-X

I'm not advocating buying a badge; the practice makes me sick. If you donated your way to a deputy sheriff's badge, the sheriff could just not reappoint you same as the police commission could chose not to reappoint you, so I don't really see the difference in the example you cited, Len. Although, I agree with you 100% about not buying a badge.

·
Registered
456 Posts

JoninNH said:
So where can I send my check? What do I do, put "Appoint Me" in the Memo field? [-X

I'm not advocating buying a badge; the practice makes me sick. If you donated your way to a deputy sheriff's badge, the sheriff could just not reappoint you same as the police commission could chose not to reappoint you, so I don't really see the difference in the example you cited, Len. Although, I agree with you 100% about not buying a badge.
Very true about appointments, that's why you have to keep current with your tithe! :HS:

A friend of mine works in County Corrections and he supported the current Sheriff in his campaign for election. This friend told me that if the other guy won, he'd be out his job . . . and this is his livelihood, not a gold badge perk that looks cool in the wallet! That is how tight the situation is between patronage and jobs in the Sheriff's office.

Not for me.

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts

I know I always seem to bring up how they did things in Texas and here I go again.

When an officer gets his/her first job one the the forms that have to be signned and notorized is one where the officer swears that he/she did not give money or anything of value in order to get the job. Then if the agency the officer is part of has an elected official as the head the form has be submitted again after each election. The basic ruling on what you could or couldn't do during an election was that about the only thing was a bumper sticker on your car or a sign in your yard.

·
Registered
456 Posts

texdep, if they did that here, they'd discover that either damn near everyone in the Sheriffs office would be under indictment or in jail (not as a worker) or that we really didn't need them anyway!

Seriously if you talk to a MA politician on an honest (I know, very difficult) one-on-one basis they will admit that the Sheriff's office is the last great bastion of patronage jobs. Politicians are able to get their generous friends jobs in the SO.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts

stevemoney12 said:
just wondering if anyone could tell me how to become a deputy sheriff?
just wondering if anyone could tell me WHY? :-k

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts

Steve,

If you are actually interested in becoming a Deputy Sheriff, working behind the fence at a correctional facility, PM me, and I'll be glad to help you out if I can. While what you see here is pretty accurate, there are also a large majority of hard-working Corrections Officers and Deputy Sheriff's who work behind the fence, aren't hacks, and worked for what they have. If you're actually looking for a career in corrections, you won't find a honest or non-sarchastic answer here. Let me know if I can be of help.

USMC,

Last time I checked, I was the guy that kept yours and others arrests behind the fence. Someone has to do it. Seems like a good enough reason for me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
USMCTrooper, with the large varied amount of police departments that I train with, we often talk about other agencies and I often ask some of the guys what they think about the MSP and most of them laugh and say It's the last department they would want to work for.There really isn't as much love for each other as you try to portray.You might enjoy bashing the sheriff's but in reality its all a matter of relevance.Yes there are alot of idiots and hacks, but i've seen my share in your department also.Even in isolation cells.On one callout I went to and when inside the building with my dog a MSP k9 showed up and the police wouldn't even let him in the building with or without his dog.This isn't to bash the MSP, to me they are an outstanding department. My point,is that it's not all police against the sheriff's departments, but more the reality that there is plenty of disension within police departments as a whole.It would be nice to see a law in Massachusetts where by an employee or relative could not donate campaign money if he/she was employed by said person or agency.But in reality i'm sure there would be some way of getting around it for people that would want to donate money to buy their job.With the legistature in this state, it's a waste of time to even think about that type of law.It's more important for some of them to get the drunk drivers off and give illegal aliens(criminals)free education.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
K9,

Excellent post! I'd have to agree with you, it is not as pretty a picture for MSP as it is portrayed. MSP definitely has it's share of detractors, who have a problem with the superiority complex portrayed by some (not most) troopers. Just like any department, there are guys out there who give them a bad name, and it travels. Personally, 90% of the Troopers that I know, and have met on the job, just like 90% of the Deputy Sheriff's and Corrections Officers that I know, are all good guys and girls.
I too would love to see some type of law banning donations from employees or relatives of employees. I'm tired of the "haves" and the "have nots". In the Commissioner's Report on the Suffolk County Sheriff's Department (issued in approximately 1998), where six top level administrators were either fired, or asked to leave, the practice of accepting donations from current active employees, was strongly discouraged, as unethical behavior. If anyone gets a chance to read this report, it's excellent and details a lot of the flaws that we see within the Sheriff's Departments every day. I don't think the legislature or many administrators have any interest in implementing what is suggested in this report. I am going to try to find a link to it on the Internet, but I believe it was obtained through FOIA. I have a copy somewhere.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
K-9 and Pearl,

I do not equate "deputy sheriffs" with "corrections officers", which I believe you both are. In this area, when you call the jail, its "officer so and so" not "deputy such and such" The only ones I have ever met in my 18 years who identify themselves as "deputy" are the hacks who run a plumbing business or sell cars. When I said, why would anyone want too, it was going on that thought. If someone wants to work in a jail as a C.O. God Bless 'em...

·
2,297 Posts
USMCTrooper said:
K-9 and Pearl,

I do not equate "deputy sheriffs" with "corrections officers", which I believe you both are. In this area, when you call the jail, its "officer so and so" not "deputy such and such" The only ones I have ever met in my 18 years who identify themselves as "deputy" are the hacks who run a plumbing business or sell cars. When I said, why would anyone want too, it was going on that thought. If someone wants to work in a jail as a C.O. God Bless 'em...
Same here. Whenever I deal with the Jail, they are Officers.

The only Deputies I see are the clowns wearing brown shirts at County Fairs, etc.

The C/O's (Blue shirts) HATE them too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What about the correction officers that work at the jail that are also sworn as deputy sheriffs. At the jail, they serve process, investigate / prosecute criminal activity, maintain external perimeter security, make arrests, constantly provide information to police, etc...

Are they good or bad?

·
2,297 Posts
Otto said:
What about the correction officers that work at the jail that are also sworn as deputy sheriffs. At the jail, they serve process, investigate / prosecute criminal activity, maintain external perimeter security, make arrests, constantly provide information to police, etc...

Are they good or bad?
When they function as you describe, IN THE JAIL, there is no issue.

When they leave the Jail and try to be Police...Bad.

·
Registered
64 Posts
bbelichick said:
When they function as you describe, IN THE JAIL, there is no issue.

When they leave the Jail and try to be Police...Bad.
BBELICHICK: You dont seem to have a clue about the duties/responsibilities of deputies, they just don't work within the walls, there are divisions within a Sheriff's department, warrant apprehension units,civil AND criminal process, electronic monitoring,TRIAD,DARE, Community service. A sworn trained Deputy has authority throughout the county(and others if sworn in more than one county), nobody's tring to step on your toes or take your job so relax. We are employed by the state why would we want to take your town job away from you? Our benefits,pensions could not be matched by any town in this state? You might want to apply to a Sheriff's office to see if you can make the cut. And before you say you can't afford the campaign donation I can tell you firsthand my appointment didn't cost a dime or any of my time holding a sign. I guess you could just call it qualified for the position.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.