Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interest in becoming a CPO, but I am unfamiliar with the process. I have no experience as a police officer, so I am hesitant to apply before doing some research. So if anyone can offer some guidance, I would appreciate it. Is it hard to get a legit response from agencies because I have never been through an academy?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would start applying anyway, each college is different but many will hire unexperienced officers and send them to an academy, in fact many colleges would rather hire someone who they can mold instead of hiring an experienced or former municipal officer. College Police work and municipal police work are similar but there are some differences experienced officers may have difficulty adapting to, therefore I would advise you to apply anyway...

Good luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you really want to enter into the police field, you may very well have to relocate to gain experience. I went to DC for 4 years to get my academy and experience. Now I'm back. Very easy to get on outside of New England.

Question is, do you want it bad enough?

Civil Service is a crap shoot, try your luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have a Reserve Academy and a College Degree, a Campus can put you on the road without a full academy. I know where I work, they've put a few on that way. A good way to start is as a dispatcher and do that for a year or so. A lot of Colleges like to see you prove yourself before they put you on the road.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a college degree (public Admin), I never really gave this career too much thought in college, but my dad is muni cop, and my brother is a firefighter, so I know that sometimes the civil service can work out.....not sure if its worth relocating, I appreciate everyone's feedback

·
Registered
316 Posts
check with the colleges/universities... some will hire you without training as a security officer, which depending on the campus, is not their police department. (at my department, we have security officers and then we have police officers in which a full time acdemy is required) Many colleges/universities require that you at least have reserve academy or full time academy training before you can be hired as a campus police officer. If you can't find a PO position, maybe consider working your way up from security or as a dispatcher. Many departments will hire from within rather than outside as they look to fill positions. Good luck!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,678 Posts
Aim High!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
:L: Love the pic mpd!!! LOL I'm almost afraid to ask what department that is from... they are awfully proud of themselves!

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
fscpd903";p="51957 said:
I would start applying anyway, each college is different but many will hire unexperienced officers and send them to an academy, in fact many colleges would rather hire someone who they can mold instead of hiring an experienced or former municipal officer.....
:shock: Really? Interesting, when I had zilch for experience, I couldn't even get a foot in the door. And FSCPD was one of them..... eventually I had enough background to actually get an interview :wink: . The only schools a person with no experience will get a call back from are small private colleges that make the state school pay look like 6 figures. Today, many schools won't hire without experience and/or training because they (schools) "can't afford" to send them to an academy. :!:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have to agree with RPD. My old school only hired me because I had worked there as a Student Security Officer when I was in school. The Chief new me new what type of worker I was so he decided to hire me. RCS like girlcop said a lot of places will hire from within there own before they go out side. Sometimes CPO's my have to work the desk as a dispatcher. If you have already been a dispatcher than the OIC doesn't have to tie up a body especially if you are still training.

·
Registered
131 Posts
RPD931";p="53144 said:
fscpd903";p="51957 said:
I would start applying anyway, each college is different but many will hire unexperienced officers and send them to an academy, in fact many colleges would rather hire someone who they can mold instead of hiring an experienced or former municipal officer.....
:shock: Really? Interesting, when I had zilch for experience, I couldn't even get a foot in the door. And FSCPD was one of them..... eventually I had enough background to actually get an interview :wink: . The only schools a person with no experience will get a call back from are small private colleges that make the state school pay look like 6 figures. Today, many schools won't hire without experience and/or training because they (schools) "can't afford" to send them to an academy. :!:
Well Im just going from my personal experience. My first campus PD job was at a private school and I was hired as a dispatcher with no police experience at all. I don't know when you applied, maybe times have changed but since I have been here the last 4 cops we hired, the last 2 dispatchers and the last ISO all had either very little or no experience at all. We also like to promote from within like many other schools do, but to answer the original question I still would suggest that he apply anyway, it can't hurt and sometimes you can find the right fit with an inexperienced person. By the way FSCPD will be posting an open Dispatcher position very soon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Working for a college department is not a bad route to take. My first job was at a private college and now I work for a municipal agency in Arizona. The private college sent me through the municipal academy and gave me to alot of training. The pay was good, but the details were even better.

I suggest you send out your application to as many agencies you can find, regardless of the size of the department or the school. Most of the larger college agencies are hard to get hired with, unless you have an "in". Good Luck.

The reason why copcreamer had to leave the state to get hired was because of the goat incident. HEHEHEHE. Go Annie!!!!!!

G

·
Depending on where you live I suugest either Fitchburg State, or Mass College of Liberal Arts out this way. Both Schools are firmly entrenched in the AFSCME security guard mentality.
:roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.