Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guestion for everyone here who would know. Do street signs apply to both sides of the street? I will give you my scenario. I parked on the left side of a one way street now at BC(so any BC police might be able to help). The right side of the street has signs saying no parking anytime, the left side has no signs at all. i went inside to visit a friend for alittle les then an hour, when i came back there was a BC police officer standing by my car. I asked him if i had to move(dumb question why else would he be there right?? :roll: ) he says i was lucky he was about to call a tow truck. Since he was gracious enough not to give me a ticket i didnt press the issue of the signs. So i learned my lesson not to park there, but for future reference to avoid paying tow fees anywhere else do no parking signs apply to both sides of the street? What if i get towed anyway am I SOL? or can i fight the charge?

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Where you the only car on the street? Usually the signs will indicate "no parking either side", "no parking on this side of the street" or "no parking here to corner"

I would think that a "no parking anytime" posted on the right side of the street would mean no parking on the right side of the street.

Unless I didn't see another car parked anywhere in sight I would have parked there also I guess my car would have been subject to a tow also....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
off the top of my head i think the sign said just "no parking anytime". I know for sure it didnt say both sides because i checked. Yes it was the only car at the time, but i know other cars and delivery vehicles park there all the time. For anyone who knows the BC area i parked near the gates closest to Williams Hall (not blocking the gates mind you). If there are any BC police that know definetly one way or the other if there is no parking would you kindly let me know. The more i think about it he may have just said it to stop me from parking there.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Do you recall if it had the <----> on it? My other question is what side of the road was the sign on? I was once told that if you park on a one way street you need to park facing the direction of travel and be on the right side of the road as if it was a two way. So if the sign was on that side you can't park on that street. I hope that made sense. If not sorry. I tried :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
It sounds like you were parked on BC property, right?

BCPD have NO authority to ticket/tow on the city streets, only within their "private property".

Given that it is private property, the laws on signage becomes irrelevant. They could post something at the gate about parking on the internal roadways and that would cover them.

You might stop in the BCPD office and ask for info on where you can legally park to keep out of trouble the next time. Either that or park (if legal) outside the BC property on the streets where you can.

Another option is to ask them the question off the BCPD website. Go here and fill out the webform.
http://www.bc.edu/offices/bcpd/about/contact/

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
LenS, are you sure BCPD doesn't have any ticketing authority? At MGH we have Boston Ticket books and use them often and it only takes a phone call to BTD for a tow.

·
Registered
456 Posts
RPD,

I haven't worked at BCPD in a lot of years now, but I was told by a superior officer that the tickets they gave out were "BC Only" meaning that they could only enforce them on their own students and faculty. [For students, per the Student Manual, ANY unpaid fines meant no grades/diploma until the fines were paid. Not sure what they did with faculty.] Anyone else who got ticketed could NOT be forced to pay.

So, no they didn't have Boston, Newton or Brookline ticket books back then. Also it's a logistical nightmare because they literally would need to carry 3 sets of municipal ticket books with them at all times.

Towing is another story and they used to tow cars frequently.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as far as i know(which isnt to far :D ) BCPD uses there own tickets. All the cars at BC that i have seen ticketed were BCPD tickets. Now as to if it private property or not is another matter. I am pretty sure its a public street and auto accidents (that i have seen) are responded to by Newton Police. So it sounds like this specific area may be somewhat of a gray zone. Now for asking BC about parking there response is "don't" unless you can find a space in the guest garage and there isn't some type of event (which is rare) its close to impossible to find somewhere to park. That is except for my new spot that i found no one knows about and im not telling.
RPD does the main campus still issue ticket books? I dont think we issue them anymore at CNY

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
MGH_PD, Yes we still use tickets at the main campus -- and lots of them. We issue tickets on all adjacent streets. No, CNY does not use them because its already a jurisdictional nightmare there between National Park Rangers, State Police, Boston Police, Municipal Police and Boston Housing Police patrol that area as well as a BTD beat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.