Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked this question to officers in my department but nobody seems to know the answer so I am looking here for help...
When I pull over a vehicle with a inspection sticker that is rejected because of safety, does that give me the right to tow the vehicle. There are several reasons why a vehicle could be rejected. The first one I thought of is if the vehicle was rejected because the ball joints on the vehicle are bad, the vehicle should not be on the road. I was just curious if we have the right to tow the vehicle. I don't know if since there is a public safety issue here we can tow. I have not been able to find a Chapter and Section that explains this. Thanks for the help.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
You can actually get a safety rejection for a bad exhaust, chipped windshield etc.... I would only tow after inspecting the documentation from the inspection station. If it indicated that it was for tires, ball joints etc... Then I would probably tow.

I have only towed one vehicle in the past 12 months for a safety rejection (ball joints) and that was because it was the second time I stopped this vehicle and the problem was still not corrected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
90/20 Requires all vehicles to have inspection stickers. This would included the fact that if it is rejected for safety then it is unsafe to be operated. You could also look towards 90/9 and notify the registry, they have the authority to revoke the registration. Good way to get through the head of a repeat offender.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I think the original question (and my question) is, what legal right do we have to tow them?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
If a vehicle is rejected for safety, it can NOT be operated on any public way. You can tow them regardless. I would, however, strongly reccommend that you exercise discretion here. I personally would not tow for something like a headlight out. I WOULD tow for something like ball-joints.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For a safety rejection you are not allowed to drive it, I was told use your head if its for a cracked window then let them know you need to get it fixed. If its like Ball joints as the example already used its common sense the wheels could fall hook get a 18 and hook it its for their safety .

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Rejection stickers are not always right or should have been issued.

When I bought my bike I went to Cycles 128 in Beverly for a inspection. The mechanic "rejected" my bike for safety. He claimed my valve stems were cracked,tires bad and I needed a new set of steering bearings and he said that "I couldnt drive it home because it failed inspection,so it was going to be $55 a day to store it there" and he was very happy to tell me about the special they had on tires. :evil: I out foxed him buy not buying his crap and only loseing $15 not $756(estimate).

This was BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x
The tires were fine,valve stems fine and steering bearings .............you guessed it.....fine! I took it to another well known shop and it passed NO problem!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

The point to my rambling is that this guy tried to take me for a expensive ride and make money off a rookie biker. Just something to keep in mind, these guys issueing said stickers are not always honest or acting in the best interest of safety.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chapter 90: Section 9 Operation of unregistered or improperly equipped motor vehicles, tractors, trailers, etc.

Section 9. No person shall operate, push, draw or tow any motor vehicle or trailer, and the owner or custodian of such a vehicle shall not permit the same to be operated, pushed, drawn or towed upon or to remain upon any way except as authorized by section three, unless such vehicle is registered in accordance with this chapter and carries its register number displayed as provided in section six, and, in the case of a motor vehicle, is equipped as provided in section seven...

Section 7 is a little long to post here. The way I read it, if the vehicle does not comply to Section 7 then it can be towed under Section 9.

Not one I would use often but sometimes you need to get your point across.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For a safety rejection you are not allowed to drive it, I was told use your head if its for a cracked window then let them know you need to get it fixed. If its like Ball joints as the example already used its common sense the wheels could fall hook get a 18 and hook it its for their safety .[/quote

I agree. Its basically a matter of using your head in regards to safety. Legally you can tow it for being operated on a public way, but a cracked windshield should get a pass the first time.]

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sometimes people will push their luck with the inspection sticker issue. So at times things must be done for the good of public safety.

·
Registered
372 Posts
michaelbos @ Thu 26 Aug said:
Yup, red R, they should not be driving, black R, they have so many days
Right, 60 days for a black R (emissions related), red R (safety related) isn't supposed to be on the road at all.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am currently a MA licensed Safety/Emissions inspector. In the year and a half that I did inspections every single person that received their safety rejection asked "how long is it good for?". Every inspector needs to let them know that the vehicle has to be fixed immediately and retested. If they have a cracked windshield obviously they can drive the thing for awhile until it gets fixed but they also have to realize that they can be cited for defective equipment in the meantime. As an mechanic I can understand to a point some people's limited knowledge of vehicles, but you wouldn't believe how many people I told had serious problems (ie ball joints, tie rod ends etc) and they still asked how long they can drive their vehicle for. Also a not to officers; any inspector that does his job right will write specific info of failures on the VIR beyond just the pass/fail info. So if you see the red R you could always ask to see the VIR. I used to go a step farther and actually double staple their registration to their VIR's when they had a safety failure. In my time as a mechanic I have seen many cars come in from ball joints that have let go on the road. It will always cause an accident, luckily I live in a rural area and they were all single car.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
If you can justify, that is, articulate a reason(s) why the vehicle is "UNSAFE ON THE ROAD", then tow it. If there's a question, make the cite a 'warning'! :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Iv'e only stopped a hand full of r sftey inspection stickers, I cited them under 90/7 unless its been tires or ball joints then I tow. Have had no problems

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
Cite for 90-20. A black R is for emissions and may continue to operate for one year (go figure) and a red R is for safety...not to be driven at all. Either rejection, the operator has 60 days to re-inspect at no charge, but they're still not supposed to drive with a red R. That's the confusion.

90-20 for a rejection sticker is $25, within those 60 days. But I usually cite under 90-20 for no sticker, which is $50. I have never towed because of the sticker per se, but it's usually a precursor to other violations, suspended, no insurance etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
we have an inspection station and every time someone fails for safety, no matter what the reason, we make them sign a waiver that they understand the vehicle is not safe, even that crack in the winshield can be dangerous. Sun hits it the right way and there is a small child playing in the street...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.