Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, The old MDC cops and other MA Police departments that became part of the MSP, what academy did they all go to for training? Did they go to MCJTC or the State Police Academy?

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
In the later years, the Registry amd Mets have their own academies, the mets was in Medford. I think the Capitol Police went to the reg academy

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
"Lobotomies all around for all my new co-workers." c.1993

The Metro Police Academy was in Needham I believe & the Registry? I dunno. Capitol Police Academy? What academy??

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Capitol Police Academy :shock: ? Why would one need academy training to open doors for politicians?

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I know the registry cops went to the reg academy. I used to look at all the class photos at my academy and they went back to the 80s. Some of the staff instructors were Mets at agawam. It was interesting to see one particular guy who was a met/staff inst, and then to look at latter photos and see him in a trooper uniform.

·
2,297 Posts
Macop";p="55797 said:
I know the registry cops went to the reg academy. I used to look at all the class photos at my academy and they went back to the 80s. Some of the staff instructors were Mets at agawam. It was interesting to see one particular guy who was a met/staff inst, and then to look at latter photos and see him in a trooper uniform.
I know who you are talking about; he is top shelf. A great guy.

·
Super Moderator
7,148 Posts
I spoke with a trooper (ex-registry PO) last night and he said that the training academies were done in Needham and Framingham.

I'm assuming by Framingham he meant the 'old' SPA, but I didn't inquire any further.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MDC Police were all street cops that graduated F/T academies. Not all Capitol and/or Registry Police had academy training. Some had F/T some had R/I and some had "in house" training or OJT. Some had to go to a R/I type academy once they switched over to MSP... 'cause of things like bringing a guy into the barracks in cuffs because his insurannce expired yesterday and stuff.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Must we talk about such an ugly period in our history? Just kidding. If I am not mistaken the mets did their training in Stoneham across from the Zoo where the MDC Central Services is located. I believe a huge chunk of the capital officers were lateral transfers having attended a variety of academies for local cities and towns. Rumors have always been that quite a few RMV civilian employees were stuffed into the registry "police" section just before the merge and hence came over with no police training at all. But rumors are just rumors are just rumors.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Some of the RMV people came from "clerk" positions originally (they were uniform at the time of the merge): the caveat of the merger was that their CIVILIAN TIME COUNTED TOWARD THEIR SENIORITY! :evil:

I can understand that their civilian time counted toward their retirement (just as a local PO who gets on the job), IF they were in they were all in the same plan. But my question is: why did non-police time count for seniority?

Before the ess-storm starts, it's just a rhetorical question, as the majority of registry folks have retired (or, like people from the MDC, Capitol and MSP, self-destructed. :D ).

·
Registered
370 Posts
dcs2244";p="55980 said:
Some of the RMV people came from "clerk" positions originally (they were uniform at the time of the merge): the caveat of the merger was that their CIVILIAN TIME COUNTED TOWARD THEIR SENIORITY! :evil:
Is this an old rumor or actually confirmed?
So if little Susy was renewing registrations for 10 years as a clerk, at the merge she may have became an instant trooper? She was given seniority as far as station and shift picks over an actual trooper that was working Mids for 9 1/2 years? I know this state has done some crazy things but this is preposterous. Where's the outrage! If I was bumbed back because of some clerk, there would have been trouble!

How many? I wan't names!

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just came back from Downtown Boston.... Don't get me wrong, but I swear I saw motorcycle cops go by under the Metropolitan Police title during the Superbowl Parade. Is this real?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Channy, If some of the above stories are true, nothing would surprise me in this state.

You sure it didn't say MDC? It was probably the rangers on their motorcycles, which is still ironic if they disbanded the trooper bikes.

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Channy, If some of the above stories are true, nothing would surprise me in this state.

You sure it didn't say MDC? It was probably the rangers on their motorcycles, which is still ironic if they disbanded the trooper bikes.
I dont know. I remember the MDC vehicles but not completly. I was only 6 or 7 at the time and still watching Ninja Turtles when Metro cops were still in existence.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You probably did see the MDC Ranger bikes, I believe they have 6 or so. Or you may have observed the Metrolec bikes. Or you plain just may have drank too much nectar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.