Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MassCops!

I have been scouring the civil service website for an answer but all it has information on is that the Written Examination is April 20, 2013.

I've tried searching on these forums too since I know how much people hate questions that have been asked ad nauseum, but they turned up nothing.

Finally, I have to ask you:

Can anyone explain to me what I should expect in terms of the hiring timeline?

How soon, assuming everything falls into place, would I be entering the Academy after the written examination?

I'm kindof stressing because I'm not in the best of shape (I'm not in shape at all) and if Academy will be 2-3 months after 4/20/13 there is no way I can run 6 miles or do 100's of pushups yet.

Anyways, thanks for your input. I look forward to your answers.

·
BOOM!
1,354 Posts
  • Written Exam April 20th
  • HRD Releases Scores April 27th
  • List Established May 4th
  • Your PD Sends Out Cards May 12th
  • You Get Hired May 19th
  • Academy Starts May 27th
  • You Graduate Top of Your Class November 18th
  • You are promoted to Sergeant right after your FTO

So, as you can see, your future is all mapped out in front of you. Buckle up, it's gonna be a fast ride.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
  • You Get Hired May 19th

So, as you can see, your future is all mapped out in front of you. Buckle up, it's gonna be a fast ride.
Do me next!!

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
First time I took the test, the scores from a scamtron test sheet weren't given out until TEN FUCKING MONTHS LATER. So yeah, good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The real answer is you take the exam and depending on your score, your name will be on a list for the police dept. that you chose, until they hire. Depending on where you are on the list and the number of positions they are filling will determine if you get an interview.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
  • You Get Hired May 19th
Lol. Besides the last two points (not that I'm being negative, I prefer to think that I am just realistic about my aptitude), is that realistically how quickly things will go for me?

Are the scores really released a week after you finish the exam?

First time I took the test, the scores from a scamtron test sheet weren't given out until TEN FUCKING MONTHS LATER. So yeah, good luck.
Or ten months?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Lol. Besides the last two points (not that I'm being negative, I prefer to think that I am just realistic about my aptitude), is that realistically how quickly things will go for me?

Are the scores really released a week after you finish the exam?

Or ten months?
I took a vet make up test on 21 Sep 2012. I was told I would receive the results at the beginning of December. I got them at the end of January and there was only 55 of us. I would lean towards the longer waiting period as Hush mentioned. I'm not being negative but I have yet to see anything accomplished quickly by MA HRD.

G

·
There is no predicting the vagaries of the Massachusetts Civil Service Commission.

The scores will be released when they're released. Any advice to the contrary is pure speculation.

·
Super Moderator
7,189 Posts
I took the test three times and waited anywhere from 4-10 months each time I took the test for the scores and rankings to be released.

Then I waited another two years on each one after the rankings were released and didn't even get a card. I moved out of state, put myself through an academy, and got hired almost after almost a year out of the academy.

So in other words...keep waiting, or do something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a vet make up test on 21 Sep 2012. I was told I would receive the results at the beginning of December. I got them at the end of January and there was only 55 of us. I would lean towards the longer waiting period as Hush mentioned. I'm not being negative but I have yet to see anything accomplished quickly by MA HRD.
I took the test three times and waited anywhere from 4-10 months each time I took the test for the scores and rankings to be released.

Then I waited another two years on each one after the rankings were released and didn't even get a card. I moved out of state, put myself through an academy, and got hired almost after almost a year out of the academy.

So in other words...keep waiting, or do something.
Sounds like I have plenty of time to get into shape...

Thanks for your input guys. I was really worried that I would be put into academy EXTREMELY quickly without time to prepare, but it looks like this process is a fairly long affair.

I'll still start my fitness program now; hopefully by the time I actually get an offer I'll be fighting fit!

·
1,334 Posts
I have been scouring the civil service website for an answer but all it has information on is that the Written Examination is April 20, 2013..

I've tried searching on these forums too since I know how much people hate questions that have been asked ad nauseum, but they turned up nothing.
With the exception of the links for the exams, you won't find much, if any, useful information on the Civil Circus website. The site is very basic, not user friendly, and outdated (they still have exam announcements and application deadlines posted from 2010, 2011, 2012).

Finally, I have to ask you:

Can anyone explain to me what I should expect in terms of the hiring timeline?

How soon, assuming everything falls into place, would I be entering the Academy after the written examination?
I'm guessing (I sure hope so) you're young, just embarking on taking every civil service exam you can, and don't have the professional experience many do here, so I'll use some kid gloves, we've all been there:

First, you have to take the exam and pass.

Second, provided you pass, you have to score high enough to be toward the top of the list, which factors such as veterans and residency preference combined with a high score will help immensely. If you are a non-resident your chances aren't good.

Third, assuming you score very high and have residency preference in your hometown (which would have to be a CS town), they have to (1) be hiring and (2) hire enough to get down to your spot on the list. Realistically, there is not much hiring in Massachusetts, so don't pigeon hole yourself; explore other options that do recruiting (NYPD; LAPD, LASD, any department in Southern CA; Dallas PD, FL PD's/SD, LVPD, et al)

I'm kindof stressing because I'm not in the best of shape (I'm not in shape at all) and if Academy will be 2-3 months after 4/20/13 there is no way I can run 6 miles or do 100's of pushups yet.

Anyways, thanks for your input. I look forward to your answers.
It took me two exams in my late teen/early twenties to get on. Some people it takes longer (or never). If you start running now, and ad a mile per month, there is the likelihood you may be up to three, four (or more) marathons before you get a call for an interview. Overall, police jobs in this state are rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,842 Posts
Thanks for your input guys. I was really worried that I would be put into academy EXTREMELY quickly without time to prepare, but it looks like this process is a fairly long affair.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Just wait kid. And wait some more... When you're done waiting, keep waiting.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Stand by to stand by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.