Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,
Another one for ya...

Can you update us on what different kinds of jobs are available to Corrections Officers in the Massachusetts DOC;
and 1. how difficult they are to receive an appointment to, and 2. how unpleasant or enjoyable they are to work in?

From what I have picked up over the last year or so, I've heard of the following:

• CO in a Cellblock, Yard, Gym, Chow Hall, etc..
  • IPS
  • TRT/SRT (Is there a difference between TRT & SRT?)
  • Control Room
  • Tower
  • Transportation
  • Trap
  • DI at the Academy
  • K9
  • Inmate Processing or Administration

Can you elaborate on these types of jobs and fill in the blanks of what others are available?

Thanks boys and Stay Safe, KK

·
Registered
159 Posts
Koz,
Let me describe for you:
CO Cell Block: Best job to have. Always in the mix. A Screw

IPS:(Frozen) Pass the plastic knife test ( When you get on you will know what I mean Koz)

TRT/SRT: Special Ops. Tactical Response (no weapons)/ Special Response(weapons I.E. sniper or less than lethal). You have to try out for. SRT is very demanding.

Control Room: Scared to death or NIC (No Inmate Contact) most likely a investigation involving inmates. Few get put in there because they pissed someone off. You work the full eight.

Tower: Some places it is the retard post. Others it is a post you need ten + to work.

Transportation: You know somebody or you have mega time on the job.

Trap: If you work the trap at a mens prison your female. At a womens prison a male.

DI:(Frozen) Someone that worked the job and knows somebody.

K-9:(Frozen) We don't have K-9 at our place but I would think you would have to like animals.

Inmate Processing: You book them in usually given to someone that payed his/her dues walking the tiers but that is not always the case.

Hope this was a help. JGH

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bro!! Excellent reply as always... :thumbup:

Also, what exactly is the "Trap"? I've heard the term but not sure what it means.

And the "Scared to Death" interpretation. Do you really have screws in the joint that are that timid?
1. Why did they take the job and 2. How can you do the job you do knowing that your back-up is pissing their drawers when that alarm sounds?
If you were to ask me; I would answer "Scared" and Correctional Officer are mutually exclusive terms.

Cautious, Aware, Careful, Tense, Vigilant, Uneasy, yes; 100%.
But I would lay my bet that scared, as an emotion, is dangerous in your profession.

Thanks Again and Stay Safe Brother...

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Koz,

Strangley enough every place has guys or girls who are scared to death. Luckily, most bail out after the first year or so on the job, but surprisingly you can find some that have ten or twenty years on the job. Somehow, they just manage to find their way through. You learn to avoid these people as much as possible.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes great sense Pearl, thanks for the reply.
It's just when you look at what you guys and gals do for a living; IM(novice)HO you really need a pair of brass ones...
But I do get your point.

I suppose there are enough bulls with "sack" that will be there to pull you ass from the fire when you need it...
Gatekeeper made reference to that point in a prior thread.

Thanks for your input buddy and Stay Safe...
:thumbup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
KozmoKramer";p="66556 said:
Thanks bro!! Excellent reply as always... :thumbup:

Also, what exactly is the "Trap"? I've heard the term but not sure what it means.

And the "Scared to Death" interpretation. Do you really have screws in the joint that are that timid?
1. Why did they take the job and 2. How can you do the job you do knowing that your back-up is pissing their drawers when that alarm sounds?
If you were to ask me; I would answer "Scared" and Correctional Officer are mutually exclusive terms.

Cautious, Aware, Careful, Tense, Vigilant, Uneasy, yes; 100%.
But I would lay my bet that scared, as an emotion, is dangerous in your profession.

Thanks Again and Stay Safe Brother...
Koz,

A trap a sally port like a lock a gate opens you enter the gate closes. A search is conducted after that the inner gate opens and you enter the facility.

Pedestrian Trap = foot traffic

Vehicle Trap = Motor vehicles

Scared To Death or STD a prison term is someone that hides out. My theory is that something happened to the person. Or they got the job and the money and the bennies are great. So they don't want to leave but they also don't want to work with inmates. So they cry and weasal thier way into control areas or a vehicle outside. This will go on until the individual leaves the job or someone gets hurt and they are forced out. I say you got hired to do a job, your pay is the same as mine, you work where they tell you to work or quit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.