Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,
I was watching CourtTV's "The Investigators" last night
and it was an excellent episode about Walpole and the IPS Team.
Anyone else catch it? I believe it was filmed prior to KD assuming the helm
since the vernacular by the supt. was stronger than it seems to be today.

My question is; what exactly is IPS and how does an IPS Corrections Officer differ from a regular Correction Officer that mans the control room (for example) or walks a block?

Also, I noticed that the Corrections Officers wear the State Seal on their collar, the IPS Teams wear "IPS" insignias on theirs. Is that the only distinct differentiation in your uniforms? I look forward to your responses.

Thanks and Stay Safe, KK

·
Registered
159 Posts
Koz,
That footage is about eight years old. I.P.S. is a investigative unit within the walls of the Massachusetts Prison system. Thier primary function is to investigate inmates like gang affilations,assaults and drug abuse. However on occasion my better side has been video taped at union pickets by these (Brother officers). JGH

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So other than the duties you mentioned Hendu, could they be considered analogous to a police department's Internal Affairs Department?
Or does the DOC have another department that handles that particular duty?

I take it you saw the episoide I spoke of. I thought it was pretty interesting.
As close as one can come to seeing the insides of a max facilty without being an employee, or, ah, a guest...
:wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Koz, the investigative unit, out of Milford (HQ of IA) regularly use's the prison's IPS team to investigate CO's of any accusation made by inmates.

IPS have lost thier propose of investigating

·
Registered
159 Posts
KozmoKramer";p="66555 said:
So other than the duties you mentioned Hendu, could they be considered analogous to a police department's Internal Affairs Department?
Or does the DOC have another department that handles that particular duty?

I take it you saw the episoide I spoke of. I thought it was pretty interesting.
As close as one can come to seeing the insides of a max facilty without being an employee, or, ah, a guest...
:wink:
[/quote

Walpole is a interesting place if you ever have the chance to get in there. I know those I.P.S. officers were doing what I.P.S. officers do an thats get information on any shananagons that go on when you have 24/7 to think of stuff to do. The clip was good on that. It also depicted the D.D.U. which is a little different. Like you said it is interesting to see into a prison on what is like as a non-employee.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gate \ JHG \ Barbrady - Who are the officers that patrol the DOC facilities outside in the marked patrol cars? Are those IPS guys, or is it another departmental distinction?

Either way, that looks like 1 awesome duty to have...
A bunch of us in the Shriners Provost Guard took a tour of the Billerica HOC at the invitation of Sheriff DiPaola. We met two of the guys who performed that role for them. 1 officer was in a marked Middlesex County cruiser, the other was a K9 (German Shepherd) officer on foot. Seemed like a really sweet gig...
I assume the DOC has similar roles?

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
KozmoKramer said:
Gate \ JHG \ Barbrady - Who are the officers that patrol the DOC facilities outside in the marked patrol cars? Are those IPS guys, or is it another departmental distinction?

Either way, that looks like 1 awesome duty to have...
A bunch of us in the Shriners Provost Guard took a tour of the Billerica HOC at the invitation of Sheriff DiPaola. We met two of the guys who performed that role for them. 1 officer was in a marked Middlesex County cruiser, the other was a K9 (German Shepherd) officer on foot. Seemed like a really sweet gig...
I assume the DOC has similar roles?
Koz,
It was probably just an officer assigned to perimeter patrol, not usually IPS. Any officer can be assigned to outer patrol. DOC does have K9 but is hard to get as there are only a few teams.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.