Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Support the "Public Safety Tax Cut Act"

This topic submitted by David Moore, Houston, TX.

On June 8th, 2005, US Representative Ron Paul introduced an important piece of proposed legislation before the U.S. House of Representatives. HR 2822, titled the "Public Safety Tax Cut Act" This legislation, if passed and signed into law by the President, will provide long-overdue federal income tax relief to all full-time police and fire professionals in this country. The bill will allow police officers and firefighters to take a $1000 credit on their individual income tax returns. As Representative Paul put it in an email:

"Relieving public safety officers of the enormous tax burden they bear should be a top priority of every congressman and senator. There is absolutely no justification, practical or constitutional, for imposing heavy taxes on those who risk the most for the safety of Americans."

In his introductory remarks before the House when he introduced these bills on June 8th Paul said...

"These professional public safety officers put their lives on the line each and every day, and I think we all agree that there is no way to properly compensate them for the fabulous services they provide. In America we have a tradition of local law enforcement and public safety provision. So, while it is not the role of our federal government to increase the salaries of these, it certainly is within our authority to increase their take-home pay by reducing the amount of money that we take from their pockets via federal taxation, and that is something this bill specifically does as well." "…Shouldn't Congress also show its appreciation to police officers and firefighters by reducing their taxes? …I am proud to introduce the Public Safety Tax Cut Act. I request that my fellow Members join in support of this key legislation." (source US Congressional Record )

Paul introduced identical legislation in 1999 and 2002 but the bill did not garner the support it needed for passage. Undeterred he has now re-introduced the bill. The lack of Congressional for this legislation has been mystifying in light of public statements of gratitude by many members of Congress for the sacrifices made by police officers in firefighters. Hopefully though Congress and the President, will finally realize and reward the hard-working public safety workers in this Country by fully supporting the Public Safety Tax Cut Act. Please get the word out to others in your dept and anyone else who would benefit from this, contact your members of Congress to encorage them to back this bill. Don't let this bill die like it did in 1999 and 2002.

This bill was introduced by Representative Ron Paul of Texas on June 8th Public Safety Tax Cut Act (Introduced in House) HR 2822 IH

109th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 2822
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a tax credit for police officers and professional firefighters, and to exclude from income certain benefits received by public safety volunteers.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

June 8, 2005
Mr. PAUL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Ways and Means

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a tax credit for police officers and professional firefighters, and to exclude from income certain benefits received by public safety volunteers.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Public Safety Tax Cut Act' .

SEC. 2. CREDIT FOR POLICE OFFICERS AND PROFESSIONAL FIREFIGHTERS.

(a) In General- Subpart A of part IV of subchapter A of chapter 1 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to nonrefundable personal credits) is amended by inserting after section 25B the following new section:

`SEC. 25C. POLICE OFFICERS AND PROFESSIONAL FIREFIGHTERS.

`(a) Allowance of Credit- In the case of an eligible individual, there shall be allowed as a credit against the tax imposed by this chapter for a taxable year an amount equal to $1,000.
`(b) Eligible Individual- For purposes of subsection (a), the term `eligible individual' means an individual who--

`(1) is a police officer or firefighter in a police department or fire department which is organized and operated by a State or political subdivision to provide police protection, firefighting services, or emergency medical services for any area within the jurisdiction of such State or political subdivision, and

`(2) is employed on a full-time basis during the taxable year as a police officer or firefighter.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for subpart A of part IV of subchapter A of chapter 1 of such Code is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 25B the following new item:

`Sec. 25C. Police officers and professional firefighters.'.

(c) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2005.

SEC. 3. EXCLUSION FROM GROSS INCOME OF CERTAIN BENEFITS RECEIVED BY PUBLIC SAFETY VOLUNTEERS.

(a) In General- Part III of subchapter B of chapter 1 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to items specifically excluded from gross income) is amended by inserting after section 139A the following new section:

`SEC. 139B. BENEFITS RECEIVED BY PUBLIC SAFETY VOLUNTEERS.

`(a) In General- Gross income does not include the value of any public services benefits received by a public safety volunteer.

`(b) Definitions- For purposes of this section--

`(1) The term `public services benefits' means services such as water, sewer, trash pickup, or other similar services provided by a State or local government agency as a benefit to its public safety volunteers.

`(2) The term `public safety volunteer' means a volunteer firefighter or volunteer auxiliary police officer.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for part III of subchapter B of chapter 1 of such Code is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 139A the following:

`Sec. 139B. Benefits received by public safety volunteers.'.

(c) Effective Date- The amendment made by this section shall apply to amounts received in taxable years beginning after December 31, 2005.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
It's interesting.. just like federal employees.. you pay taxes on salaries paid by taxes. You're getting taxed on taxes. wtf? :shock:

·
1,334 Posts
I read the legislation and it is about time they threw something like that our way. I also think the unions and individial officers (as citizens) should write or email the senators and respective representatives. Atleast let them known we are aware the legislation is out there. Afterall, it is a benefit to us. I know the way info gets out around my department, usually you hear gossip or criticism before anything important like a tax bill that is in committee a will help us out.

G

·
i think tax areimprotent to pay so all cetizines can hav, hte propper amunt of polie/fire/ems onduty at al time in my agincy we donot always have enouf oficers to handal coveridge needed so tax cutting maby not sucha good idea

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,841 Posts
Spt102, what I don't get is how you wrote/typed very normal and accurately in the "sex offender plates" thread, but now you type like you've had 3 fingers chopped off and spell overly phoenetical... what gives... you okay??

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Just wrote my legislators...

It looks like the only benefit volunteers and auxiliaries get is an exemption from reporting free trash pick up as income, if the Town gives them free trash pick up as a perk for volunteering.

Doesn't seem to me that the part-timer's get anything, but then again I am not a lawyer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.