Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can explain this to me :-k I live in the Taunton area and the Silver City Galleria Mall security has Public Safety written on there vehicles and patches. How can this be when they don't have any police authority? :NO:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They got yellow/green/clear colored light bar. There not Taunton specials cause the mall hires TPD for details all the time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
PJM#15 said:
I hope someone can explain this to me :-k I live in the Taunton area and the Silver City Galleria Mall security has Public Safety written on there vehicles and patches. How can this be when they don't have any police authority? :NO:
Is there something in 22c - or someplace else - that says you must be sworn/ have"police authority" in order to use the words "Public Safety"???

I also share Mikey's curiosity about the vehicles. What color lights - and could they be specials?

Do they carry?

-Eric

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
The Natick Mall and the Solomond Pond Mall in Marbloro both have security vehicles and patches that state public safety on them. Some of the mall guards in Marlboro wear Commonwealth of Massachusetts seal pins on their shirt collars NOT COOL :!: They both have yellow/green lightbars and I believe the only mall in Massachusetts that has "special police" is the Pru Mall in Boston.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
fscpd907 said:
The Natick Mall and the Solomond Pond Mall in Marbloro both have security vehicles and patches that state public safety on them. Some of the mall guards in Marlboro wear Commonwealth of Massachusetts seal pins on their shirt collars NOT COOL :!: They both have yellow/green lightbars and I believe the only mall in Massachusetts that has "special police" is the Pru Mall in Boston.

Faneuil Hall Marketplace has Boston special police powers.

Scott :pc:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Don't get started Kids!!!!!!

"Public Safety" don't mean squat. calm down. There is nothing to get upset about. Have some warm cookies and milk. O.k? there...thats better!
:crazy:
See theres only one word that you should get upset about and thats "POLICE" were it doesn't belong.

I don't get why people start crying about this. There are some persons who have "Public Safety", "Patrol", "Security", "Security-Patrol", "Protective Services", "Alarm Response", Etc, etc, etc. on their vehicles and/or uniforms.

Some of these persons may have limited "special" police powers through the State/City/town or whatever. Most DO NOT.
Who gives a darn? What is it that bothers a few people out here about this? Wheres the terrorist conspiracy? Wheres the threat to the general citizenry? (Notice I didn't say Public Safety)

Get ahold of yourselves, get over it, get a life!
[-o<

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Thanks for the info sapd324 :D

I still don't think wearing the Commonwealth Seal on the collar is cool but thats just me. I am all for extra security, guards, public safety at any location and feel that they do serve a role in keeping customers safe in their assigned areas.

·
Registered
447 Posts
In regards to mall security having police powers, the Eastfiled Mall in Springfield are Springfield Special Police Officers. They have green lights and security on the patch.

·
1,952 Posts
fscpd907 said:

The guys at Solomon used to be Vanguard or Specta Gaurd can't remember which though, just remembered that we contract the same to watch our parking lots

Also, I work for, depending on who you ask, NUPD or NUPS and I have no powers in my position and also have the state seal on my badge

·
Registered
561 Posts
Do not forget, some communications officers (aka dispatchers) also have the seal of the Commonwealth on some part(s) of their uniforms as well!

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
No problem with the Commonwealth seal because the above people work for police or state departments. The state seal pins are only worn by a select few mall guards at the Marlboro location. The pins are not part of the uniform of the day for this security department in question and I feel they should not wear them. The Marlboro Mall has also had trouble in the past with mall security cars conducting M/V stops and officers on long foot chases into the woods behind the mall to issue no-tresspass letters to customers.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
let them chase em', and when the guard gets the shit kicked out of him maybe he'll learn his role.
I SAY, let someone find out for themselves why its not a good idea to pretend to be someone your not! F*ck em! :twisted:

·
Registered
131 Posts
PJM#15 said:
Although Im not sure what the actual definition of the words "Public Safety" is I believe that a department of public safety is just was it says. A department which provides safety to the public. This doesn't have to be a police department or even have anything to do with an actual city/town/state or federal agency, I suppose it could also apply to private organizations such as malls.

Many other states use the term Department of Public Safety when referring to police/fire and medical, and more importantly many colleges in Massachusetts use this term also, which refers to campus police and institutional security officers who are responsible for securing buildings and such and do not have police powers. Some colleges even have EMT's who are not part of the "campus police department" yet fall under the Department of Public Safety for the college.

To sum everything up PJM#15 I try not to take the word public safety to mean anything but a department that your individual department falls under, and try not to make any connotation that a public safety officer has to be a Police Officer. They can be security guards also and I believe this is why the malls use this term public safety. Police Officers are just that.. Police Officers with full police authority and in some cases fall under the same department as security officers or firefighters/EMT's which is called The Department of Public Safety.

This is my best educated guess to answer your question..

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I have no problem with private security companies putting "public safety" on their uniforms, but putting the commonwealth seal on their uniforms is definitely a no-go. The commonwealth seal is a copyrighted logo, even our union (SPAM) cannot use the indian on the seal on t-shirts, hats etc., we have. Instead a trooper is in place of the indian. Unless you are directly working for the state or a city, you should not have that on your uniform. A private security company is a private entity.

As far as "special police" go, they are simply private security companies given certain restricted police powers to ease manpower and paperwork on local departments. I worked several years as a store detective for a major retailer in downtown Boston, and we had several "special police" on staff. They only had powers on the premisis, and could write up summonses and arrest reports. All Boston PD had to do was transport the subject from our holding cells to their station. However, there can be issues with this. I know for a fact that for many years for special police Boston PD issued badges virtually identical to patrolman badges, with the exception of "special officer" in place of "officer" on the face. This led to a lot of guys running amok in Boston claiming to be Boston PD! I know that the Prudential Center had some guy even stopping cars out on public ways in the P.C.'s, waving their "special officer" badges around. This led to a radical revision of the special police program in Boston with more extensive training, and badges that do not resemble the Boston PD badges.

I don't have any problem with most security guards; most are just good guys trying to make a living. A few might even standing next to you in real police uniform in a couple of years, but the temptation to "play cop" when you are given a "special police" or "constable" badge can be hard to resist. If any are reading this post listen carefully: if and when you do ever cross over and become a police officer you'll learn that wearing a real badge is infinitely more satisfying than playing the role and don't jepordize your chances by waving some piece of tin around. Like Peter Parker's uncle says: "With great power comes great responsibility."
(sorry a bit off the topic) :oops:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
fscpd903 said:
PJM#15 said:
To sum everything up PJM#15 I try not to take the word public safety to mean anything but a department that your individual department falls under, and try not to make any connotation that a public safety officer has to be a Police Officer. They can be security guards also and I believe this is why the malls use this term public safety. Police Officers are just that.. Police Officers with full police authority and in some cases fall under the same department as security officers or firefighters/EMT's which is called The Department of Public Safety.

This is my best educated guess to answer your question..
YES! YES! YES!
Give the man a cookie! sounds like what I said six posts previously. Now can we just stop worrying about the "Mall Madness" issue YIKES!
:lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
As an EX Mall "Public Safety Officer" I can take their side. The PUBLIC SAFETY/SECURITY/POLICE profession is just like baseball. You start out in "AA" advance to "AAA" right up to the big leagues. Some guys get their experience down there in "AA" and become awsome cops. I don't know if that has anything to do with this topic but just had to share that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
SSPO#11 said:
As an EX Mall "Public Safety Officer" I can take their side. The PUBLIC SAFETY/SECURITY/POLICE profession is just like baseball. You start out in "AA" advance to "AAA" right up to the big leagues. Some guys get their experience down there in "AA" and become awsome cops. I don't know if that has anything to do with this topic but just had to share that.

That is way off topic. I don't think you should making any connotation between Security and Police. Saying Public Safety Officers are the minor leagues for police officers is ridiculous. In no way does a security/public safety officer have anything to do with police officers, that is the whole point of this thread, that public safety officers have nothing to do with police, pay attention.... Not all minor leaguers make it to the majors... And Im sure alot of security guards don't become police officers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just in addition to the topic about mall police in Massachusetts, The Hanover Mall has a dedicated HPD Mall Unit. The unit includes several sworn armed Hanover Police Officers, a fully marked HPD cruiser, Chapt.90, etc. These are not detail officers, they are assigned to the Hanover Police Mall Unit. The unit is provided by the Town to the mall through a contract, and the way I understand it, the unit is partially funded by the Mall. The officers work with the Hanover Mall Public Safety Officers (security), and in fact, are on the same radio channels, and share a substation in the mall. The station in the mall is marked, "Hanover Police/Hanover Mall Public Safety." Unless things have changed, the Hanover PO's work 2 shifts, 9-5, and 4-12. On busy nights, (Friday, Saturday) the mall does hire a detail officer as well. The officers are also assigned calls in the north area, outside of the mall if the sector unit is busy. This unit has been around for over 10 years. However, I am uncertain of how much funding is provided by the Town, and with the budget issues in the state, who knows how much longer the unit will be around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.