Providence Police Hiring | Page 2 | MassCops

Providence Police Hiring

Discussion in 'Rhode Island' started by blue1stand9, Feb 21, 2013.

1. GMass

GMass Guest

Sometimes people realize it's not for them after experiencing it for a bit. I thought I had a down-to-earth view of what the job was, and I'm still amazed every day as to how wrong I was.

While he quit, it's not on the same level of a day-one dropout who can't hack it. Sure, he took up a seat that might have been better filled, but at least he realized it wasn't for him before it was too late.

Re: hack it for minimum wage if you want it - Regardless of how bad someone wants it, some people are smart enough to not try for a gig like PPD. Not many people can hack 6mo with no / almost no income, and without a guarantee paycheck tucked behind your certificate at graduation it'd be foolish for someone like me to even try. Who's going to pay my bills? My mortgage? Then what after graduation?

Macop likes this.
  2. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Amen to that

3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

You don't experience anything close to the real job while you're in the academy. I hate to sound like a salty prick by saying "Hey kid, forget everything they taught you in the academy", but it's not that far from the truth.

For years, I've had to de-program graduates of the Plymouth Academy from the notion that you can't PC people from their own residence. We do it all the time, you just have to properly articulate the reasons in your report.

BxDetSgt likes this.
  4. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

That's what a lot of cops think, that you can't P/C from a house.

5. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

P/C??? Can't do that from anywhere in Boston-last time I did got an ANGRY call from the Captain next morning-ripped me a new one

6. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Ya, its like that in a lot cities I suspect. Its a joke the way some of these experienced supervisors will tell you cant do something when in fact you can. Drives me crazy!

Joel98 likes this.
  7. EXTRACOP

EXTRACOP Lost in the desert..

Seems really dumb to pay minimum wage during the academy. They are losing out on tons of applicants who may make great officers simply because these people can't live on that wage. Providence will end up with a bunch of kids that are living at home with mom and dad with no life experience. Just seems stupid to ask someone to have his family live on minimum wage just so they can become a cop in their fair city.

8. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

and what qualifies as life experience? you can't get any living at home while you hunt for a job?

9. EXTRACOP

Life experience would be someone who already works in law enforcement in some capacity, military,ems, security, maybe firefighting. People who would have some skills to bring to the table that may already be working and paying their bills. People who can't take a 10 dollar an hour pay cut. Just saying it seems like Providence is missing out on a whole bunch of people because of this policy.

10. GMass

GMass Guest

A job beyond the supermarket and financial responsibilities beyond your cell phone and car insurance for the car mommy and daddy bought you.

Min age for LE should be at least 25. Time and again I've watched these fucktards with their college degrees and a blank resume be useless fucks on the job until they get shitcanned due to immaturity.

Pvt. Cowboy likes this.
  11. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Lol, bitter?

12. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

I'd like this post a million times if I could.

Chicago PD institutes a 25 y/o policy. My opinion is that life experience counts for a ton. Funny how much I thought I knew in my 20's.

13. GMass

GMass Guest

Then you'll be a cop and realize how foolish it is that you were a mod on a cop forum and how much you knew back then.

14. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

hmm i don't even have a cell phone bill to worry about...

15. EXTRACOP

GMass you nailed it. I've seen and continue to see the same problems with the kids that are getting hired. Most simply don't have people skills so the escalate a simple situation into a physical altercation. Oh and your college degree isn't worth shit when dealing with some transient meth head who hates cops..Just saying.

Irishpride likes this.
  16. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

I carry it with me and throw it at them when they bother me.

17. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Wow, what the fuck? Are you bipolar or something? You have some posts that are great, post information that is helpful to even an old fuck like me who likes to think he knows everything, and then you go and kick the hornet's nest and start shit with longtime members. I'm not even talking about these fuckin' noobs that need a beatdown, but I can think of at least three times where you have come across as a real punk that I'd backhand.

Your douche nozzle is spraying everywhere lately.

18. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Gmass gets high on himself sometimes. Then he remembers he was sitting in a room taking the same test as the rest of us, 6/15.

19. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

:):):) This is getting interesting!!!

20. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

Sorry for such a late reply i didn't read this thread before. There is no "bound to providence agreement"

and as far as being "RI Certified" you would need to apply for a waiver to the RI POST. Providence and RI State Police run their own academy so therefore they are not POST certified upon graduation.

21. spartan

spartan New Member

i just got a letter to appear for my board on monday :) do they really do background checks before an oral board? you would think the background check would come after the oral board granted they liked you and wanted you to move forward in the process..Is this SOP or is there another back ground test after? Just wandering..

22. Duff112

Duff112 MassCops Member

[/quote].. Just wandering..[/quote]

Well don't "wandering" too far... you'll miss your "oral" board... lol

23. spartan

spartan New Member

lol good one duff112.. seriously any one know what the deal is with that?

24. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Easier to arrest the applicants with warrants. It's like fish in a barrel.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

263FPD likes this.
  25. spartan

spartan New Member

nothing to worry about..clean background..just thought it was strange..