31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.providencepolice.com/employment.html
http://www.providencepolice.com/documents/APPLICATION_3_.pdf
http://www.providencepolice.com/documents/Recruit_Brochure-2008.pdf

Recruiting Period 10/17/2008-11/14/2008

Applicant Processing Procedures
An applicant becomes eligible for appointment to the Police Academy based on
their standing on an eligibility roster established by a series of tests. Tests are
conducted on an as needed basis. Successful completion of the testing process
will result in an offer of conditional employment in the future and does not
guarantee employment by the Providence Police Department. An applicant
qualifies for the eligibility roster by successfully completing the following
phases of the recruitment procedure:
1. Meet the minimum qualifications for filing an application as detailed
by the Providence Police Department Human Resources Bureau;
2. Physical Fitness Assessment (See website for standards)
3. Written examination; (High School Level)
4. Background Investigation; (Including all information releases)
5. Oral Interview(s);
6. Psychological Evaluation;
7. Medical Examination (Including Drug Screening)
8. Physical Fitness Pre-Test, just prior to entry into the police academy.
(Same standards as above)

Good luck to those that apply!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds great. Anyone have a suggestion for surviving on $7.40/hr? That would work out to 15392/yr or about 200/wk take home. Maybe a full-time gig working overnights would suffice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
As long as my creditors don't want their share bad enough. In all seriousness, might be tough coming out of an academy to a broke employer and from other threads people have been laid off quickly before. Still a great oppurtunity.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sounds great. Anyone have a suggestion for surviving on $7.40/hr? That would work out to 15392/yr or about 200/wk take home. Maybe a full-time gig working overnights would suffice.
Can you really put a price on having "WHAT CHEER" in all caps on your patch though?

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
If I remember correctly graduating from the Providence Police academy does not gaurentee you a job. Only the top of the class get offers and there is still some type of list, at least thats what I understood years ago, anyone know if that is the case?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would not get a full time 3rd shift gig if your going to a police academy, which is academically and physically challenging. Your going to get burnt out and then risk the possibility of being dropped due to your ranking. Maybe on the weekends, when your not required to attend the academy but, even then I would think you would want to spend time prepairing.

I dont see how anyone can make it on 7.75 for the duration of the academy. Is it 17 weeks or 22? I know many other municipal departments down there pay their student officers 36,000 min starting a year with that pay starting day one of the academy.

Providence recruits every year at this time. They are always short staffed.

I wouldnt mind getting on just to work the foxy lady detail (wink wink)

·
Seekonk Detective
41 Posts
Does the Providence Police Department except people who are full time academy training in MA??? Or do you have to back to the academy??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stop taking applications on the 14th. I dropped mine off a weekish ago. Srgt called me today with a question about my birthdate...I put 2008 as my year born instead of 1988.:oops: I felt like such a fool.

How desperate are these guys? It's killing me just sitting here waiting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks! I was shocked that they even looked at my application. Then I talked to some guys today and they said nobody wants to work for Providence due to officers getting shot and stabbed. Either way God bless the guys out there lol.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Plenty of people want to work in Providence, the city has budget trouble so keeping officers is not always possible right out of the academy. Its a crap shoot, which is why some dont want to bother.

They do see plenty of action but so does pawtucket, and central falls.

·
Registered
14 Posts
One major shitty aspect that I looked into is that you need a Rhode Island Driver's 6 months before the academy to get in. Now you need a residence in Rhode Island to get a Rhode Island ID. Thats how I looked at it so anyone trying to head out there from MA like myself is going to have a hell of a hard time paying rent and utilities while getting paid $7 and change per hour. Anyone that may know a way around this please share until then it's Fed or MA police work for me.

·
MassCops Member
535 Posts
One major shitty aspect that I looked into is that you need a Rhode Island Driver's 6 months before the academy to get in.
You may want to look into that a lot deeper!!! You need a RI Driver's license because the application is geared toward Rhode Islanders. However, usually having a license satisfies the requirement!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
GD thanks for the kick in the ass. I have spoke to a few people in the past and they said that they remembered when you needed to live in Providence to become an officer there. I just called the HR division and they said a Mass Driver's License would be fine. They have also extended the deadline to the Nov 28th so says their website. Good Luck to all who apply.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts