Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a friend write a paper for one of her CJ classes. I was wondering if you guys/gals would help out...

What do you think some pros and cons of being a campus cop are? Why do many people view us as security? The differences between Campus Police and Security. Also the difference between Campus Police and Municipal Police. Any opinion you want to add would be spectacular. If you have any more ideas as to what to write about that would be great. Thanks!!! :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm no expert... but my opinion on one part of your question... the
Why do many people view us as security?
part... I remember when I was at the University of Hartford not paying much attention to Public Safety... I didn't know what they were or could do or not do... I think that is a lot of it... for students anyway... they don't understand the scope of Campus Police Departments... unless they have to meet you in a less then favorable way :)

To this day I don't know what powers they had or didn't have... I simply think that due to the limits of their jurisdiction most students don't recognize them as what they know as "Police"...

Or something... hope that made sense... :) Good luck...

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
The reason why people view us a security is lack of knowledge. Most people do not know that colleges have their own police department. Also in the early days of campus policing their was no formal training I.E. SSPO academy so the local police viewed us as security. Another reason is that college administrators call the campus police differant names such as Pulic Safety or Protection. A non LEO would think thats just a fancy name for security. My final reason is that in massachusetts Campus Police Departments are not getting the respect they deserve. (Im also including our brothers and sisters in hospital campus police.) When the general public or other municipal police departments see the campus police that are not armed the first thing that goes off in their head is "No Gun Security." I think Campus Police needs more backing from the State to get the respect it deserves. Massachusetts just built a police officers memorial. I looked on the website and noticed that it does not mention the campus police are allowed in the memorial. Now in Washington DC the national law enforcement memorial Campus and hospital police are included. Its the simple misconception that Campus police work for a college and not a town that mistakes us for security. Hope this helps

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
ecpd402 said:
The reason why people view us a security is lack of knowledge. Most people do not know that colleges have their own police department. Also in the early days of campus policing their was no formal training I.E. SSPO academy so the local police viewed us as security. Another reason is that college administrators call the campus police differant names such as Pulic Safety or Protection. A non LEO would think thats just a fancy name for security. My final reason is that in massachusetts Campus Police Departments are not getting the respect they deserve. (Im also including our brothers and sisters in hospital campus police.) When the general public or other municipal police departments see the campus police that are not armed the first thing that goes off in their head is "No Gun Security." I think Campus Police needs more backing from the State to get the respect it deserves. Massachusetts just built a police officers memorial. I looked on the website and noticed that it does not mention the campus police are allowed in the memorial. Now in Washington DC the national law enforcement memorial Campus and hospital police are included. Its the simple misconception that Campus police work for a college and not a town that mistakes us for security. Hope this helps
Ide like to take this one step further:

I have come to the realization that Campus Police are viewed as security for the following reasons.

Most CPD's chief's have to deal with a "Boss" who 98% of the time dont give a care about police work. How many Police Departments are run by a Board of Trustees?

Most CPD's perform the same duties as Security Guards such as, Sitting Post, Locking Doors, Detex Checks Ect.

the main difference in CPD's (Who do not run Deputy Powers) is that we infact DO NOT have a duty to act. Although probly against our morals, by law we do not have a duty to act in ANY circumstances "I dont know if that includes medical situations but I can find out easy enough". There will be no legal liability to the officer if he/she refuses to say respond to a person getting mugged or raped.

Furthermore, Should a Municipal Police officer come into a Civil Liability Issue such as a Bad Arrest, They will/should be protected under (I Believe this is the name) the Good samaritan act. If a campus Police officer comes into the same situation, the college can and would probly be sued.

Finaly, what police officers in the country have been denied the right to make motor vehicle stops? ... State College Officers excluded

There are a number of reasons why they differ and why the perceptions are there If you use your common knowlege im sure you can think of a number of other reasons.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help so far!!

Also I am wondering if there are any guys/gals out there who have attended both the SSPO academy and the Municipal academy. I am looking for the differences there too--if any one can help out it would be most appreciated. THANKS :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
ECPD402 and Union1 hit it right on the head,

I think one problem I think it was already posted was years ago at least at the state college level their was no CPO's just plain Security Officer. Some of theses people were in fact maintainers(Mait/ housekeeping) who would work the day job and then work eves/night as security Locking up the buildings and unlocking them in the morning. When it came time and the colleges needed a polcie Force they then offered some of these jobs to the same people. Even after becoming PO's they stilled called themselves SO's. Back then all someone really had to due was pass the "Brown Book" exam and Poof they were a police officer. So I think it took a while for some if not most of the colleges a while to actually ack they had Police Officers on campus. Today you can't even be a Campus police Officer with out some type of formal training. ie MPOC SSPO Reserve Academy + College Degree.

Like what was previously stated before big problems that still exist on college campuses is No gun= Security, Gun=Police or the fact that most private college campus PD's Can't enforce C90 so students staff and others think that since They can't stop stop MV's and hand out CMVI they are security.

Still I believe as it has been posted before its all about attitude. One minute you are security driving the college president around campus/town to different appointments. Both the college administration and CPD's Brass are telling you to be nice don't cause problems with the students their just kids having fun. Next minute you are campus police and the college is demanding action and justice to a particular incident.

As far as other PD's not showing respect. Well that may be more of an issue with the particular dept. I can say I far as were I use to work (State College) the local PD and MSP usually had no problem coming and assisting as with calls because they were few and far between usually it would have been a person with a gun(when the CPO's didn't carry) call or large disturbance something that needed back up. If a college is always calling for help from the Local and or MSP some might view that department as no being able to handle their own problems when in fact it may be something totally different. I hope that in the future people can come to know and respect what a tough job CPO's have, I hope that one day we can get the same respect that other officers in our field. Sorry I 'm a little long winded but just had to come out and say what was on my mind and put my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.