Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the custom that some departments have of postumously promoting an officer after a Line of Duty death. I've seen Providence PD do it in the past, and Swansea most recently with Sgt. Robert Cabral being promoted to Lieutenant after his tragic death.

Are these promotions purely ceremonial and made out of respect, or are there some benefits to the officer's family such as increased survivor benefits or pension?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Alot of towns will do this when an officer dies. It can be done in towns that do not have Civil Service but towns that are Civil Service can no do this because of the entire exam procedure.

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
There is no civil service hinderance to a posthumous promotion.

·
Subscribing Member
1,170 Posts
Patrolman Ed Neves of Taunton was promoted to sergeant after his line of duty death in 1995. It can be done, even in a civil service PD.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Most pension systems base the survivors pension on the last year or last three years. It had been done in NJ but had no effect on the benifits. Purely for the family.

Crvtte65 said:
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17950

Robert Cabral was a Sgt but was promoted to Lt. in Nov of 05

And yes, there is implication for more money as the rank of the officer would decide the salary etc.

·
1,952 Posts
Good to know.

Off topic.... I just went through Secaucus on friday and Sat to get to NYC on the NJ trains. Don't know why I felt compelled to say that...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm guessing you stopped in the new Frank Lautenburg Transit Station? That was built at a very high cost to route all the trains in NJ through to NYC without changing trains or leaving the station.

This past few day many law enforcement personnel were passing through on their way to the funerals of the two Jersey City officers killed on Christmas. We are the next town over and close to the funeral site..

You really get a negative idea going through by train. All you see is the NJ Turnpike and landfills....Real scenic....

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
so it seems that survivor benefits are similiar with LE & military, does any1's PD (i assume its dictated by a union contract) do "high 3" for retirement/survivor benefits?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts