Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made Sgt a year or so back and was wondering if any middle/upper level managers could suggest any outside reading? I read "One Minute Manager" and found some excellent tips in it. I also read the Bratton/Gates bios. Any others?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Former NYC Commisioner Bernie Kerik's book is an excellent read. It's not a management "how to" per se, but It gives great insight into his management style which a lot of people could benefit from.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Crimefighter by Jack Maple is a great book - Jack was the brains behind Comstat and most of the NYPD successes under Bratton.

For major chief books I did enjoy Bratton's book Turnaround. Chief: My life in the LAPD by Daryl Gates is an interesting look at a very controversial person. I think Kerik had an interesting book but I wonder how frank he was. One thing that I found strange about Kerik's book was that he claimed he was not so politically tied into Guiliani and only knew him for a few short years, but when you look at the pictures you will notice Guiliani is the godfather of Kerik's teenage son. ? I think that Kerik really knew how to play politics and this was how he moved up so quickly. He downplays this in his book but it's pretty obvious that there was a lot going on behind the scenes. It's unfortunate that he had some ethics and personal finance problems unearthed when GWB was going to appoint him to head up Homeland Security.

I also strongly recommend Verbal Judo for all LEO's and bosses.

Several translations of Sun Tzu are also very interesting and useful.

I'm currently reading Leadership: The Warriors Art and it is very good.

Check out these police lists and the military lists. I have read a few of these books and they are all good:

http://www.hitechcj.com/chiefslist/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts