Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't MA have a mandatory transportation law that says a sworn police officer or deputy must transport arrested prisoners? If so can someone please refer a specific MGL/CH/Sec thanks.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Redline,

Do you have a specific incident (sanitized) that you are referring to? This could help clarify the situation. I'll look into this when I get a chance. I was having a hard time thinking of a situation, where a non-sworn person would have the opportunity to transport an inmate/arestee.

·
Registered
400 Posts
MGL Ch 37 sec 24 covers sheriffs. I know the Feds somtimes use private uniformed corrections personnel from the private federal prisons. I'm note sure about transporting to arraignments, but if a PO doesn't do it, how do they maintain custody? It must be covered somewhere.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry should have applied the situation....my questions are in regards to a Bail Enforcement/Fugitive Recovery Agent that has legal right through a bondsman to arrest (re-arrest) a fugitive who has defaulted. There is some debate whether or not they have the legal right to transport said prisoner to the local Police station/Jailhouse. I know every state has a variation on this law, wondering about MA. I was believeing that local officals MUST be notified before such an apprehension and likewise to transport. Thanks guys.

G

·
I was under the impression that Bail Enforcement/Fugative Recovery (AKA Bounty Hunting)was Illegal in MA???? Hence if so I think it would be safe to say that the transporting of a prisoner would fall into the DoNOT do list.

I know states like NH,CT regulate and license Bounty Hunters but not sure about MA, like I said I thought it was ILLEGAL, but I cant remember where I heard that so I could be wrong here.

G

·
OK now I'm the 1st one to admit that there are whacko Constables out there doing crazy things, and it blows my mind and I would LOVE the state to regulate the business. But these guys (bounty hunters) thats scary. :roll: :shock:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I didn't think states could regulate federal laws...I was under the impression that it was a Supreme Court decision from the late 1800's that empowered bounty hunters......

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Tailor vs. Taintor was the supreme court case, but state's still have there own rules. For instance in Florida its a FELONY to say you're a bounty hunter/bail enforcement agent if you're not lisenced by the State. It's like a Class A LTC is approved and accepted at the state level but if the Chief of Police in the issuing town wants to throw a restriction on it he can. But hey, anyone know about the transport law??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts