1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prison inmate wounds guards
By Associated Press
Monday, November 15, 2004

WALPOLE, Mass. -- An inmate serving time for assaulting prison guards in 1997 managed to open his cell door and used a makeshift weapon to wound two guards at the maximum security Cedar Junction state prison, a Massachusetts Department of Correction spokeswoman said Sunday.

The male guards subdued the inmate despite suffering cuts in Saturday night's confrontation, department spokeswoman Diane Wiffin said.

The most seriously injured guard suffered facial wounds, and remained hospitalized yesterday, Wiffin said.

That officer was in danger of losing his sight after being wounded in the eyes, said Steve Kenneway, president of the Massachusetts Correction Officers Federated Union.

Another Department of Correction spokeswoman, Kelly Nantel, declined to discuss details of the guard's condition. The other guard was treated at a hospital and released.

The inmate somehow managed to open the door of his cell in the prison's disciplinary unit, leading to the confrontation with the guards, Wiffin said.

Afterward, the inmate was returned to another cell. He was not injured.

Prison staff were investigating how the cell door was opened, and were inspecting all 120 doors in the prison's disciplinary unit as a precaution, Wiffin said.

The Norfolk County District Attorney's office was investigating.

Wiffin declined to identify the wounded guards or the inmate, and she did not say where the guard who remained hospitalized was being treated.

Wiffin said the inmate was convicted of armed robbery in 1988 and sentenced to nine years to 10 years. In 1997, he was ordered to serve another 36 years to 40 years in prison for assaulting two corrections officers at Cedar Junction.

Kenneway, the correction officers' union president, said just 10 officers were on duty in the disciplinary unit at the time of the attack rather than the standard 12, and six of the officers had only recently completed training.

Nantel said prison management review staffing levels at the start of each shift and approve those levels only if they are adequate to ensure security. There is no mandatory minimum staffing level, she said.

Kenneway also said prison guards and management had long been aware of both electronic and physical problems with the cell doors at Cedar Junction that created security risks. While the electronic problem was fixed, the prison did not adequately repair doors so that they cannot be removed from their tracks and forced open, he alleged.

Nantel acknowledged such problems had been identified, but said they had been fixed.

·
Subscribing Member
211 Posts
the D.D.U. (Department Disciplinary Unit) at Walpole is Massachusetts's only "super-max".Walpole and the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley are both level 6 maximum security prisons.SBCC does have two Special Management Units S.M.U. that house disciplinary offenses within SBCC.The DDU houses the "worst of the worst" although both institutions "trade" bad guys.DDU to SMU.SMU to DDU.I know I worked both prisons and both the DDU and SMU when I was a DOC Officer.This POS will probably go to SBCC for awhile then transfer back to Walpole in a few months.Unfortunately due to Massachusetts not having the death penalty and the DOC being an ultra liberal inmate coddling/loving organization run by social workers instead of law enforcement officials, this inmate will receive no punishment for blinding the officer.
He's already in prison in a "super-max" and doing 40 years.Basically the assault on that officer was "recreation" or "rec time" for the inmate in question.That's not the first violent assault on an officer in DDU and not the last.Did I mention the fact that officers assigned to the DDU are not issued any protective gear like body armor,protective eye wear,or batons,chemical agents.It might look "intimidating".

Semper Fi,

G

·
Well, explain to me, what makes the D.D.U the only "super max"? Because the con is locked down for 23 hours of the day like any other S.M.U. I am asking because I don't know?

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
"Super max" is a term used to describe the technology involved in confinement. Therefore, I would think MCI-SBCC is the only super max since it is the most modern.

·
Subscribing Member
211 Posts
Every Massachusetts state prison has a segregation unit where inmates are placed for disciplinary offenses (fights,assaults on staff,and other offenses)A Segregation unit is the prison's "jail".This is usually a temorary measure.The DDU in Walpole is the "end of the line" for inmates within the state prison system.It's the prison system's "prison".DDU is the Commonwealth ultimate sanction against a criminal.An inmate may be "sentenced" there for up to a period of 10 years by a DOC Disciplinary officer.The living conditions and level of restraints isn't fundamentally different than other prison's "seg" units.The DDU is just more permanent .

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Slightly Off Topic and not to take anything away from the lad who was attacked by the scumbag....

But I Watched "Against the Wall" again last night.
I don't know how you guys and gals muster the nerve to do that job.
You must have brass balls...
:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Berufssoldat @ Thu 18 Nov said:
Well, explain to me, what makes the D.D.U the only "super max"? Because the con is locked down for 23 hours of the day like any other S.M.U. I am asking because I don't know?
yep supermax = 23 hour lockdown... much more common than it used to be

·
Registered
16 Posts
All DOC segregation units (AKA SMU's) are 23 hours a day lock in. The same as the the DDU. We do not have a "super max" prison or "super max" unit. All inmates in the DDU and SMU's are cuffed before they are taken from their cells. The difference between the DDU and the SMU's is that a inmate can only be be sanctioned to a SMU for a shorter period of time. In the DDU we have inmates that have been sanctioned there for years. If anyone wants to know how I know this it's because I worked in the DDU and thank God I do not work at Walpole now. However I work in a SMU in a near by prison.

Next question!

Be safe!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.