President please pardon these agents NOW | Page 5 | MassCops

President please pardon these agents NOW

Discussion in 'Illegal Immigration Issues' started by Stevec, Jan 5, 2007.

1. StbbrnMedic

StbbrnMedic fraggle tamer

Couldn't agree more

2. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

Not likely with a felony conviction. I am glad they are getting out of prison though. I would love it if the Border Patrol offered them thier jobs back and they told them to shove it. As I said though with a felony conviction it is not likely they will be able to get back into law enforcement.

3. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

Im glad that they are getting out, but Im pissed off that the convictions stands. I dont think they will ever work in LE again because of their Felony Conviction.

4. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

+1:cussing:

5. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

:dito:
    You never know. With something this high profile, I wouldn't be surprised if some sheriff down in the southwest hires them as a PR bost for his upcoiming election.

6. 8MORE

8MORE MassCops Angel

Agents Compean and Ramos never should have been charged in the first place is right. I am glad they are finally getting out of a place they should not have been in the first place.

7. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Just caught the news on ch7 I'm glad for them
    Screw the job offer they should write a book about their JOB. The candidate process, training, academy, FTO, and the long nights out on the boarder and what they have to deal with. Then go on to the part where their higher-ups threw them under the bus and how the Fed court system stuck it up their asses

8. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Border agents' sentences commuted but convictions stand

By Todd J. Gillman and Laura Isenee
    The Dallas Morning News

WASHINGTON, D.C. — President George W. Bush commuted the sentences Monday of two Border Patrol agents who shot an unarmed Mexican drug smuggler, after relentless pressure from border-state lawmakers and conservative activists in a case emblematic of the fight over illegal immigration.
    The commutation allows Ignacio Ramos and Jorge Compean to leave prison early. But it is not a pardon, and the conviction will stay on their records. Both will be on probation for three years under terms of the presidential order.
    Bush made no statement on the case. But several lawmakers - including many Texans who signed a letter last week urging Bush to show mercy - hailed the president's decision.
    "These individuals have already paid the consequences of their actions and beyond," U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said in a written statement. "The president has now acted to right the wrongs of their excessive and unjust sentences."
    The agents are apparently the final recipients of clemency from Bush. A senior White House official said no further announcements are expected. Presidents typically issue a flurry of pardons in the final hours of office and often save the most controversial cases for last.
    The statement rules out a pardon for Lewis "Scooter" Libby, the former aide whose sentence for lying to investigators about the leak of a CIA officer's identity Bush already commuted. It also dashes hopes for clemency by other high-profile convicts, such as corrupt former Republican lawmakers Ted Stevens of Alaska and Randy "Duke" Cunningham of California. Some had also speculated that Bush might offer blanket protection to military or CIA personnel who had interrogated terrorism suspects.
    Marijuana haul
    The border agents' case stemmed from a February 2005 incident near Fabens, Texas. The smuggler, Osvaldo Aldrete-Davila, was in the country illegally with hundreds of pounds of marijuana and was later convicted on U.S. drug charges. He is serving 9 1/2 years in prison.
    Allies of Ramos and Compean, including the union representing Border Patrol agents, were outraged that they were prosecuted under a law that boosts sentences when a suspect uses a gun while committing another crime - a law they say was never meant to apply to police or federal agents whose jobs require them to be armed.
    Bush's handpicked U.S. attorney in San Antonio, Johnny Sutton, who had worked under Bush when he was governor, has long defended the prosecution, arguing that the agents acted improperly by covering up the shooting and hiding evidence. Ramos and Compean are serving 11- and 12-year prison terms, respectively, and each has been in prison for about two years.
    The White House official said Bush decided against a pardon because he thought the agents deserved to be punished. But he deemed the sentence too harsh because of the use of the gun law and because they have been held in isolation for safety reasons.
    "The president feels that they received a fair trial and it was a just verdict," the official said, insisting on anonymity because clemency decisions are rarely discussed. "These were law enforcement officers, and they have the highest obligation to obey the law and have to be held accountable when they breach their responsibilities."
    Ramos' father-in-law, Joe Loya, told The Associated Press that although the four-year fight had taken a toll on his family, "we wouldn't give up. ... I knew sooner or later God would come through - that finally it would happen." He said his daughter, Monica Ramos, "could hardly speak" upon learning that her husband would soon be freed.
    Immigrant advocates had warned that leniency would encourage aggressive tactics by U.S. border authorities. They offered little reaction to the commutation, though.
    Mexican officials were dismayed, arguing that U.S. border agents must obey the law regardless of how suspects behave.
    "This sends a very bad and difficult to understand message," Carlos Rico, the assistant foreign minister for North American affairs, told reporters in Mexico City.
    Rico said Bush put the "many demands by anti-immigrant groups" ahead of other considerations. "The political maneuvering was stronger than the efforts of the Mexican government," he said.
    Several law enforcement groups welcomed the commutation. But some questioned the timing and lack of a full pardon. Supporters of the agents had noted that Bush commuted Libby's sentence before the former aide to Vice President Dick Cheney spent a day in prison.
    "We're disappointed it took so long for the president to do the right thing," said T.J. Bonner, president of the National Border Patrol Council, which represents about 15,000 agents.
    Other prosecutions
    Andy Ramirez, president and founder of the California-based Friends of Border Patrol, said other prosecutions of Border Patrol agents need to be addressed.
    "I'm absolutely convinced this was more about legacy than doing the right thing," Ramirez said.
    Support for the agents was bipartisan, with more than 150 House members having signed a resolution calling on Bush to pardon the agents or commute their sentences.
    "Today marks the end of an injustice," said U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Dallas. "Especially as drug trafficking and violence continue to assault our border, our Border Patrol agents should know that their government will support and defend them as they risk their lives for the security of our nation."
    Bush conferred with White House counsel Fred Fielding and other senior aides before issuing the commutation, the White House official said. And the timing - 23 hours before Barack Obama is sworn in as president - stemmed from the fact that "he deliberated over it," not any political pressure, the official said.
    As convicted felons, the agents won't be able to work again in law enforcement. The process of freeing them from prison could take up to two months.

[​IMG]Wire service

9. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

I'm very disappointed in Bush's decision he should have pardoned them, however they will be out of jail if they are not killed before being released!!

10. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

As the passage should read.

You need a spine to do that.
    The "Wartime President" couldn't do the right thing and protect his warriors? What a disappointment that lamebrain has become.

Well I'm dismayed that Mexico is such a corrupt country Mr. Mexican Official, and I'm dismayed that your shit hole of a country doesn't police its own.
    And I'm dismayed that we have to build a 2,000 mile fence, WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS to keep Mexican refuse out of our country.
    And I'm dismayed that Mexican drugs are on our streets, being sold to our kids, and your government isn't doing jack shit to stop it.
    And I'm dismayed we haven't invoked a "shoot on site" policy when your scumbag drug runners enter our country.

The shining light in this despicable farce of justice. Families reunited, as they should be.

Join the club Mr. Bonner. If that dunce was concerned more for justice and American sovereignty rather than placating the left and his Mexican cronies, this whole debacle could have been avoided.
    Those agents should have PARDONED, not their sentences commuted.

Amen to that.

11. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

I understand that in normal circumstances a FELONY conviction wouldn't bode well for getting a job in LE. However, is it an automatic NO-HIRE or is it up to the hiring agency's discretion???

12. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

It's an automatic disqualifier for Massachusetts, but other states have different classes of felonies, with some classes not being an automatic disqualifier.

13. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

You can still get hired as a firefighter!!

14. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

:dito:

15. kwflatbed

Convicted Ex-Border Agents Released From Prison Following Presidential Commutation

[​IMG]
    AP

Jan. 17, 2007: Former U.S. Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos (left) and Jose Alonso Compean (right) turn themselves in to federal authorities.

Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean have been released from federal prison after serving more than two years for the non-fatal shooting of a Mexican drug smuggler.

President Bush commuted the sentences of the two border guards Jan. 19, and his order will go into effect on March 20. The pair will serve out the remaining month of their sentences in home confinement in El Paso, Texas.
    Ramos and Compean were sentenced to 11 years and 12 years respectively for the 2005 shooting of Osvaldo Aldrete-Davila, a Mexican national now in prison for attempting to smuggle hundreds of pounds of marijuana in to the U.S.

Click here for photos.

Aldrete-Davila was shot in the buttocks while attempting to flee along the border in Fabens, Texas, which lies 10 miles southeast of El Paso. Prosecutors say Ramos and Compean tried to cover up evidence of the incident; the border agents say they were defending themselves in the line of duty.
    The case became a cause celebre for a chorus of organizations and members of Congress — many of them Republican — who rallied to the border agents' side. Republican lawmakers were ecstatic on the news of their release Tuesday.
    "At last, Ramos and Compean have been rightfully reunited with their families," said Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif. "This day is long overdue. I wish the Ramos and Compean families the best as they now try to pick up the pieces and begin to heal from this terrible ordeal."
    The pair will remain on "supervised release" for a period of up to three years, according to a statement from Ramos' lawyer, David Botsford. Botsford said it was appropriate to commute the pair's sentence in light of the "onerous" conditions they experienced while incarcerated.
    Ramos, who was in a federal prison in Phoenix, and Compean, who was in an Ohio prison, are flying home Tuesday to El Paso, where both their families live.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,494565,00.html

16. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

I hope El Paso holds a ticker-tape welcome home parade for these men.

17. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

I hope they get the key to the city. Damn heros in my book.

18. StbbrnMedic

StbbrnMedic fraggle tamer

+1

19. ddp335

ddp335 MassCops Member

armed aliens, crossing the border and forcing our armed forces to retreat= successful invasion ?????????

20. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Imprisoned border guards speak out

Imprisoned border guards speak out

washingtontimes.com — Former Border Patrol Agent Ignacio "Nacho" Ramos wakes up in the middle of the night expecting a guard to shine a flashlight in his face. Jose Alonso Compean, his colleague, still has nightmares that he's not really home. It has not been easy readjusting to life outside their one-man prison cells where they spent the last two years of their life...

21. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

Re: Imprisoned border guards speak out

They should have never done any time.

22. kwflatbed

Ex-Border Agents' Bid for Appeal Fails

SUSAN CARROLL
    Houston Chronicle

The U.S. Supreme Court[​IMG] refused on Monday to hear an appeal from two former Border Patrol agents convicted of shooting a fleeing drug smuggler and trying to cover it up.
    Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean served roughly two years of their respective 12-year and 11-year prison sentences before President George W. Bush commuted their sentences Jan. 19. The commutations resulted in the former agents' early release from federal prison, but did not wipe the criminal convictions from their records.
    Ramos' attorney, David Botsford, said Monday he was disappointed the court declined to hear the case but added that he still plans to file a motion to vacate Ramos' conviction in federal court. Robert Baskett, Compeans' attorney, said he and his client also are considering their options since the court declined to hear the case.
    The former agents were convicted in 2006 of shooting Osvaldo Aldrete Davila near El Paso on the Texas-Mexico border as he tried to flee to Mexico. Aldrete Davila, a drug smuggler, survived the shooting and testified against the former agents. Ramos and Compean were found guilty by a federal jury on charges of assault, violation of civil rights, use of a firearm during a crime of violence and obstruction of justice.
    Their conviction was affirmed by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals[​IMG] in New Orleans.
    The agents' prosecution and lengthy prison sentences became a cause celèbre and fueled the debate over illegal immigration, offering fodder for conservative talk shows. Compean and Ramos were supported by several members of Congress[​IMG] and benefited from a grass-roots campaign lobbying the former president to offer them a full pardon.

Story From: The McClatchy-Tribune News

23. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

I hope the other agents take this as a lesson to go to the range and make sure they can hit the "target" appropriately.